Who is This? (includes bonus points)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Who is This? (includes bonus points)

NOTE: If you read this post, and want to ID the band, don't look at the comments boxes below  (where the correct answer can be seen).  Can anyone else ID the band?  Just trying to see if this was too easy for this group (again) -- this group is just too smart to trip up.  :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

They're a progressive rock group formed ca. early 1970s. The band was started from scratch. Vocals were not the main focus of the band the first few years.  They were originally a band that toured the college circuit in their country of origin. Their first self-titled debut album was not very successful.  After 5 years, they had success (their breakthrough album) with an all-instrumental album based on a children's book (Note: there was controversy around this). After 6 years, the first of the original group members left the group to form a new group; he was replaced by a former member of another progressive band.  This new member had the vocal talent the group had lacked.   More group members departed and were replaced by former bandmates of the new guitarist/vocalist.  The group was deserted by the press by the early 1980s with the shift in music trending to punk rock.

By the early 80's, there was only one original band member standing.  As pressure mounted to do more pop oriented music, the band worked with a well-known group of musicians.  Soon thereafter, they went on a 7 year hiatus.  They returned in the 1990s, put out an album and completed a world tour selling out in nine countries.   Their most recent appearance in NEARfest was in 2003.  Despite the serious illness of the last remaining original band member (and astonishingly) the band has continued recording, and working on various side projects through the present day.

Who is this band? 

BONUS: 

1. What was the name of the band whose band mates joined this band in the early years?
    2. What is the name of one of their tribute bands? (they have several)
    3. What was the controversy regarding the use of the children's book title?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Who is This? (includes bonus points)

The band is Camel.

The children's book is The Snow Goose.

I don't know who the tribute acts are.

[TMI, yoga...it's more tantalizing to conceal than to reveal...  ;)  Interesting choice, though...I'm headed over to grooveshark to reacquaint myself with Camel....tip o' the hat to ya!]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

@yoga

P.S.  I had a Camel - Mirage LP jacket on my wall in college 'cause it looked cool, and I smoked camels.  That's partly how I knew it so fast....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

holy crap matty, 9 minutes? really? i'm sure it only took you 30 seconds...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Sorry. 

I'll do better next time.

;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Cr*p.  Laughing

The controversy around the use of the book for the album?   It was that Paul Gallico was ticked b/c he thought the band's name was related to Camel cigarettes (back then, I can see why) and didn't want his book connected with Camels. 

Note: My identity IRL is kind of tricky; I am not very easy to get to know.  Even my mother (who knows me so well it scares me) told me that I'm complex and not an open book at all.  You'd never know it by the way I write these questions ... why can't I be more sly? 

[TMI, yoga...it's more tantalizing to conceal than to reveal...  ;)  Interesting choice, though...I'm headed over to grooveshark to reacquaint myself with Camel....tip o' the hat to ya!]

Thanks!  I did think they were an offbeat choice of a band to reference, and that's probably why I got carried away with too many facts.   I'll just have to keep trying.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Who is This? (includes bonus points):
    [QUOTE]@yoga P.S.  I had a Camel - Mirage LP jacket on my wall in college 'cause it looked cool, and I smoked camels.  That's partly how I knew it so fast....
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    That's just too uncanny  -- and not in the realm of a coincidence. 

Well, if Zilla can't trip up the group, I must be kidding myself if I think I can.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is This? (includes bonus points) : That's just too uncanny  -- and not in the realm of a coincidence.  Well, if Zilla can't trip up the group, I must be kidding myself if I think I can.
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

No, by all means, keep trying.  That was a good one...really...just a weird frame of reference.  Also, I used to own the "Family Tree of British Rock" t-shirt, so my mental rolodex is well-stocked with obscure names...

Oh, and I also frequent the NYT sunday crossword ("in ink...always in ink")?  In short, I'm a word freak, so...it's not you, it's me.  :))

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is This? (includes bonus points) : That's just too uncanny  -- and not in the realm of a coincidence.  Well, if Zilla can't trip up the group, I must be kidding myself if I think I can.

I finally got a little satisfaction with my 'Learning To Fly' title used by 3 different artists.

This is the first time I was able to "stump the panel" , so to speak.

There is a fine line between giving too many and too few clues.

Might as well try to cheat death, it's probably easier than stumping this group.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Stumped me, zilla....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I aspire to stumping the group. 

Cheating death?  I may be in the process of doing that in order to give me enough time to stump the group.  You're right, Zilla, and if you feel that way, I know I am in good company. 

Cool

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I aspire to stumping the group.  Cheating death?  I may be in the process of doing that in order to give me enough time to stump the group.  You're right, Zilla, and if you feel that way, I know I am in good company. 

But the main thing is we have lots of fun.