Who is this? (Intermediate level)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Who is this? (Intermediate level)

This band is an American punk rock band formed in New York City.  Critic John Dougan said that they were "one of the finest and most influential proto-punk bands to walk the earth" and part of the punk explosion of the mid to late 1970s.  They recorded their debut album in 1975; the album was produced by Sandy Pearlman and Murray Krugman, who were best known at the time for their work with Blue Oyster Cult.  The album sold poorly.  The band broke up a few months later.  They reconvened the following year with a new bassist and added a keyboard.  They released a second album in 1977.   They later toured with bands such as Uriah Heep and Foreigner.  By 1978 the group re-formed again, the original bass player returned to his original position in the band and the new lineup recorded an album.  Bruce Springstten, a big fan of the group, can be heard counting "1-2-1-2-3-4" in the album's opening track.   Still no mainstream success; they split up again.   They went their separate ways, reuniting occasionally.  Other than these reunions, little was heard from them for five years.  Some of the band's members formed Wild Kingdom, and in 1990 recorded a new album under that name that received excellent reviews from Rolling Stone, calling it the "first great punk rock album of the '90s."   The album cover was a source of controversy (it had anti-Semetic overtones -- ironic since most of the band mates were Jewish).  After another year, the band returned to their original name.   Band mates continued to branch out into other interests and played / were invited to play with other notable bands such as The Fleshtones, The Del-Lords, and The Brandos..  By the late 90's they released an album that was well-received, but the band was running out of vision for new material.   They compiled an album of demos, rarities, and unreleased songs recorded at various times over their thirty-plus year career, released by Norton Records in 2007.  They still play to devoted fans.

Who are they?  (too easy?)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: Who is This? (Intermediate level)

The dictators

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Cool, dude. 

Bonus question:  What's their nickname? 

(meanwhile, the next one is going to have to be a lot tougher  (I said that last week), but this time, I'm serious)
    Smile

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I think it was the tater-tots or something like that?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Fidel Castro and the Dictators.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Who is This? (Intermediate level):
    [QUOTE]I think it was the tater-tots or something like that?
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]
    Yes, it was the Taters.   (like the food, you're right)

Nice going, man. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Fidel Castro and the Dictators.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    I figured this would be pretty easy for you.  You probably saw them play loads of times.   Homies to you!   
    Smile

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Who is This? (Intermediate level):
    [QUOTE]This band is an American punk rock band formed in New York City.  Critic John Dougan said that they were "one of the finest and most influential proto-punk bands to walk the earth" and part of the punk explosion of the mid to late 1970s.  They recorded their debut album in 1975; the album was produced by Sandy Pearlman and Murray Krugman, who were best known at the time for their work with Blue Oyster Cult.  The album sold poorly.  The band broke up a few months later.  They reconvened the following year with a new bassist and added a keyboard.  They released a second album in 1977.   They later toured with bands such as Uriah Heep and Foreigner.  By 1978 the group re-formed again, the original bass player returned to his original position in the band and the new lineup recorded an album.  Bruce Springstten, a big fan of the group, can be heard counting "1-2-1-2-3-4" in the album's opening track.   Still no mainstream success; they split up again.   They went their separate ways, reuniting occasionally.  Other than these reunions, little was heard from them for five years.  Some of the band's members formed Wild Kingdom, and in 1990 recorded a new album under that name that received excellent reviews from Rolling Stone, calling it the "first great punk rock album of the '90s."   The album cover was a source of controversy (it had anti-Semetic overtones -- ironic since most of the band mates were Jewish).  After another year, the band returned to their original name.   Band mates continued to branch out into other interests and played / were invited to play with other notable bands such as The Fleshtones, The Del-Lords, and The Brandos..  By the late 90's they released an album that was well-received, but the band was running out of vision for new material.   They compiled an album of demos, rarities, and unreleased songs recorded at various times over their thirty-plus year career, released by Norton Records in 2007.  They still play to devoted fans.   Who are they?  (too easy?)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

You gave too many hints. But It was a good question.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Thanks.  You're right, I did give too many hints.  The hints are what make reading the mini-history fun, so it's hard to draw the line.  As it was, you can imagine how much I left out.   I should have been more cagey.  Big mistake to mention Wild Kingdom.  Actually, I should not even have said they were from NYC in the first sentence.   ha ha. 

It's hard to trip up this group, but I'll see what I can do. 
    :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks.  You're right, I did give too many hints.  The hints are what make reading the mini-history fun, so it's hard to draw the line.  As it was, you can imagine how much I left out.   I should have been more cagey.  Big mistake to mention Wild Kingdom.  Actually, I should not even have said they were from NYC in the first sentence.   ha ha.  It's hard to trip up this group, but I'll see what I can do.  :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Trivia questions and crossword puzzles are easier in this day and age....need an answer, Google will bail you out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Who is this? (Intermediate level)

Well, I'm assuming jkj didn't cheat with google ...

I have a realllly good one lined up, I just need the time to write it up.

I'll have to put a disclaimer of "No cheating with google" at the top, otherwise there really is no point in bothering, is there?  

But I agree ... google / internet searching is fantastic, no doubt about it, but it has taken a lot of the creativity and critical thinking out of the equation, and made people pretty darn lazy, too.   That part is scary.   And don't get me started when people call a google search "research" ; it's a "search" plain and simple, it's not research.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Cheat moi,  I went to college in New York at that time, and was a disc jockey on the radio station there.  That is how I heard of them.

I was not expecting a Spanish InquisitionSmile

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Never occured to me that you didn't know the answer on your own, I said that in my comment!  Would never occur to me you'd need to check, either.

Your reputation precedes you. You're totally cool (even if your son has doubts) ha ha.

I know the Dics b/c of a friend who is from NYC who used to love them, too.   So I got my intro from a native NYer as well. 

If anyone is using google to create the mini-bio or history, it's moi.  Thought that was pretty obvious, though ... :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

In Response to Re: Who is this? (Intermediate level):
    [QUOTE]Cheat moi,  I went to college in New York at that time, and was a disc jockey on the radio station there.  That is how I heard of them. I was not expecting a Spanish Inquisition
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

NOBODY expects the Spanish inquisition!Laughing