Who is This? (Intermediate level)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Who is This? (Intermediate level)

This musician goes by his real name.  He's considered a cult hero in the USA.  Has released solo records as well as recording with many celebrated bands.   Has managed to capture down to earth folksy values alongside angry, indignant statements concerning social justice.   Joined a punk rock band in the late 1970's and later branched out as a solo act in London.   

Ultimately an album with a host of political songs was released that established the style and standard for this artist for the decades that have followed.   Activism has been an integral part of the creative repertoire of this artist.  By the late 1980s,  an album featuring nothing but voice and an electric guitar was released.  Ultimately, a full backup band provided accompaniment, and as working and touring took place over the following 10 years, a reputation as a folk-rock troubadour developed.  This artist has partnered with the music of one of the greatest folk legends of all time.  Social issues such as homophobia and sexism have garnered vocal enemies on the right.  The artist remains a fan favorite at political demonstrations and benefit concerts around the world.  Charity work includes prison education and providing guitars to aid in rehabbing inmates. 
    "You can't change the world through music, but you can give people a different perspective on the world."

Who is he?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Who is This? (Intermediate level)

i think it's billy brag. my dad really likes him and always talks about him. i've never listened to him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Yup, Billy Bragg. Love "Back to Basics."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Great job.  I may have given too many hints again, but you're smart either way. 

BONUS questions:

What band did Bragg collaborate with to set some of Woody Guthrie's unrecorded lyrics to music?

And

Who is Bragg cooler than?   Hint: the answer is in the dealbreaker thread.
      :D

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Wilco.  The name of the album is Mermaid Avenue and is about five pints of awesomeness.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Saw him opening for Echo and the Bunnymen. I was not impressed.

Come on Yogi - this was an easy one. You know how brilliant we all are. Tongue out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Yay.  :D    Nice going. 

And even though BB is a great topic in and of himself, I took advantage of the perfect segue from the dealbreaker thread to bring him up, juxtaposed against the "what's so bad about Bono?" question.  HA! 

I will go with Bragg as the social activist rock musician who's doing some good without being a sanctimonious a$$hat.  Well, at least from my POV, can't speak for everyone, of course.  Therein, I rest my case.  :D

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Who is This? (Intermediate level):
    [QUOTE]Saw him opening for Echo and the Bunnymen. I was not impressed. Come on Yogi - this was an easy one. You know how brilliant we all are.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    You all are brilliant, and I know I will never have the upper hand, but at least I keep trying.  Cool Not impressed with him live?  How about his recordings?  I still think he's cool. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Not a fan of BB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

With Wilco ... soooo awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RIkHROc6g&feature=related

(I apologize for the video, however)  :D

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Are any of you going to the Wilco Solid Sound Festival this summer? It is a stones throw from where I live.