Who is your favorite Boston musician and why?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3924951. Show user_3924951's posts

No Sheila Divine?

What about O-Positive, Tribe???  Hello!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from therealpearl. Show therealpearl's posts

Re: Who is your favorite Boston musician and why?

The Gentlemen...no explanation needed

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bojude. Show bojude's posts

i like aerosmith, but j Geils is my fave, even with a 20 year hiatus. just curious, what happened to Robin Lane, Stompers/Sal Baglio, The Fools, and Katrina and the Waves . . . Susan Tedeschi was mentioned also by another emailer, but Sal Baglio and the fools are still out there, and Robin Lane and Katrina were very popular in the 80's and set the bar for female and local performers . . . . they didn't rate for a top 50 mention??? i mentioned farrenheit in my blog, but what about the former teenage sensation Jon butcher . . . . .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billincolorado. Show billincolorado's posts

First of all, what about Staind? Sure they are from Springfield, but they were popular once.
    Anyway, living in Colrado, I can not count how many people I turned onto the Modern Lovers. I still have "I'm Straight" regularly show up on my IPOD. My two kids Know "Ice Cream Man" and "I'm a Little Dinasour" by heart.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Robo84. Show Robo84's posts

I have to agree with "No Sheila Divine?" on the band Tribe!  I forgot about them... but loved them in the early 90s.

I would not put them as my favorite, but they deserve to be on this list.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonman1. Show bostonman1's posts

Please.
    Absolutely no one on the list compares to Aerosmith. Count the hits, the Albums. (ok CD's). The longevity. Almost 40 years and still filling Stadiums all over the world. (Check the tour page if you don't believe me)
    When you think of sex, drugs, and rock & roll, who else could possibly come to mind?
    Joey Kramer is so good, you can set your watch to him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

My cousin played drums for two of the bands showing up here.  But he's retired and I don't think drummers count anyway. 

I'm going to have to go with the Family Jewels, Asa Brebner's current do-wop/ rockabilly band, with Fred Griffeth up front, although all 5 guys sing.   You can often find Peter Wolf popping in late in their second sets to listen, although I've never seen him join them onstage. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_2411529. Show user_2411529's posts

Why don't you have THE STOMPERS on your list??   They had some great hits!  and they still entertain sold out shows with their reunion gigs!  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Slavica. Show Slavica's posts

I hope my saying that i simply love More Than a Feeling is more than enough to vote for Boston/this song is colored by magic tons that you fall in love with,as each great song/

the second is Aerosmith
    Thank you

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RicRogers71. Show RicRogers71's posts

What about Tribe?
    The rocked. "Abort" was 5-10 years ahead of it's time

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NShore-IdolFan. Show NShore-IdolFan's posts

I love that Guster and Buffolo tom were part of this Boston's best bands...but Where IS DISPATCH??? i realize they started in VT but their start really gained momentum going around boston...they were (and i believe still are) the biggest indie band ever...not to mention their last concert at the Hatch Shell closed both sides of storrow drive b/c of the est. 100,000 plus people that showed up for the free concert from all over the world...glad to say i was one of those people on that extrememly hot and humid day along the charles back in summer July '04, goodtimes

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beachbaby. Show beachbaby's posts

I voted for J Giels, but want to add honorable mention to the Cars & Billy Squier, saw him on the Ringo tour-great!

How could you miss the Fools & the Stompers!!! They were huge in the 80's. The Stompers American Fun single made it on the Grown ups sound track.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trebor33. Show trebor33's posts

One of my favorites who was not on the list would be Chris Trapper and the Push Stars. There is something about the sincerity with which Chris writes that is not only deeply moving but also captures the spirit and character of the people who live here in the Boston area.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Seriously, I like too many of them. Boston, Aerosmith, J. Geils, James Taylor, The Cars, Dick Dale, etc..  I can't decide.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhkaplan. Show rhkaplan's posts

I must vote for John Lincoln Wright. A great talent who was never fully appreciated (with Beacon Street Union & with the Sour Mash Boys)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncool926. Show uncool926's posts

This list unfavorably discriminates against bands that rocked me in a way that Aerosmith or Boston could never have, but didn't make the big time.  You could build a Hall of Fame with the bands that were left off this list.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tgas. Show tgas's posts

Morphine is my favorite because the music gets right into my soul and body.   I loved them and them saw them live at the club liberty in Austin Texas (now gone).  It's innovative, haunting, and somehow speaks to me.   I think Mark Sandman was a genius.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from s0ftsquash. Show s0ftsquash's posts

Does Carly Simon qualify as a Boston act? She lives on the Cape.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crewza. Show crewza's posts

There is only one band in this list that would be in the discussion for "Who is the greatest band of all time".  That would be the Pixies.  Influenced an entire generation of music.  Aerosmith...not so much.

Pixies undeniably deserve the top spot in this list.  Surprised that they are known to enough WAAF listeners to garner #4.  Internet polls are stupid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from llittizzio. Show llittizzio's posts

Wow - I know it's been mentioned already, but...no Stompers? I must have seen them 100+ times back in the day. I vote the Stompers and any band with Charlie Farren singing!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RazzMattazz. Show RazzMattazz's posts

Tavares!

www.preservation.ri.gov/img/heritage/cv_hof/cv_hof2006/tavares1.JPG" alt="" />

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrumpwell. Show scrumpwell's posts

I heartily agree that Jon Butcher Axis should have made the list, but more amazing to me is that I got to page three of the comments without seeing a single mention of the Lyres?  God, either of those bands at the Rat was a great sweaty night to (try to) remember.

Honorable mentions to Pastiche, Human Sexual Response, Stompers...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrumpwell. Show scrumpwell's posts

And as long as we're at the Rat....let's not forget the Nervous Eaters and Willie Alexander & the Boom Boom Band.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Friedday. Show Friedday's posts

Wow, no one's even mentioned Groovasaurus.  I miss those guys.  I agree with needing Sue Tedeschi, James Montgomery and Martin Sexton.  All fabulous.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigguy45. Show bigguy45's posts

I have to admit I like the Allstonians they are still kickin' and have paid their dues.  Also having music featured on MTV's The Real World Boston helped.  They also helped jumpstart the Boston Ska scene of the early-mid 90's.

Sections
Shortcuts