Who is your favorite Boston musician and why?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RazzMattazz. Show RazzMattazz's posts

Re: Who is your favorite Boston musician and why?

So, this is kinda morphing into a list of Boston bands, not necessarily the BEST bands, AND since nobody remembers Tavares, obviously (seriously, I am totally totally wondering how I can remember them).

Remember The Rings? Or The Sec Execs? Angry Young Bees anyone?

Take me back to those daze PLEASE!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RazzMattazz. Show RazzMattazz's posts

SEX Execs, sorry!

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from warehammer. Show warehammer's posts

Guamani Band

Incredible Santana sound Latin Rock group that played at The Groggery in Allston/Brighton in the 70's.  They had everything...vocals, great presence, strong guitar and bass.  Terrific percussion.  Covered Cocker, Mason, as well as Santana.  Also had some nice original songs of their own.  I have no idea why they didn't go big-time.  But I had big fun seeing them at The Groogery for about a year or two.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimmyD34. Show JimmyD34's posts

I've honestly never heard of the band at #2, until just now.  From what I gather, they are described as an "emo" band?  You people....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RazzMattazz. Show RazzMattazz's posts

How about Billy Squire, wasn't he from Wellesley? And wasn't Terry Bozio from Missing Persons from the area?

MAN, I can almost get a rush now thinking about ALL these bands.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crdevitt. Show crdevitt's posts

there were so many amazing boston bands in the '90s. some of my favorites include the shyness clinic, the wicked farleys, the vehicle birth, helium, sebadoh, bim skala bim, chucklehead, o+, buffalo tom, the allstonians, skavoovie and the epitones, sam black church, tree, green magnet school, six going on seven, piebald... i know my memory fails and i've definitely forgotten many, but back in the day, there was always a show worth hitting up most nights of the week. r.i.p. mark sandman, what a voice and stage presence that man had...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from razraz222. Show razraz222's posts

In Response to Re: Who is your favorite Boston musician and why?:
    [QUOTE]WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT? No FACE to FACE???? Awful list without them Laurie Sargent, Angelo and Stuart Kimball all made great music
    Posted by Vlatak[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly - what a joke....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from razraz222. Show razraz222's posts

No Face to Face????
    No New Models????
    No Fools????

Typical Globe BS - trying to satisfy everone....Boys like Girls at #2?????????hahahahaha

Etxreme @ #9?????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from buddingnovelist. Show buddingnovelist's posts

Extreme, hands down.  I love their diversity.  They're a rock band, but are capable of so much more than just rock.  Someone once asked me why I get so excited when a new Extreme record comes out.  My reply: "It's like opening a Christmas present.  You never know what you're going to get."  They push the envelope and test the waters and I LOVE that.  They're not afraid to try something new and different.  Case in point, Nuno touring with Rihanna.  He's going to bring back things from that experience that will only enhance whatever Extreme decides to do next. They're true to who they are as artists and musicians and they write from their hearts and their souls.  It gives the music a depth, for me, that no one else's music has.  I relate to it on deep and profound levels.  They're uber talented, and live they are one of the best bands out there.  The chemistry is amazing.  They're always on.  They rock my face off, every single time, with just their instruments and their voices.  No outrageous costumes, no pyrotechnics, no laser light shows, no special effects.  Just the guys and their instruments and voices...plus some amps and microphones. They're amazing and I can't WAIT for the next record.  It's going to be awesome!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RazzMattazz. Show RazzMattazz's posts

Extreme. Yes indeed. I knew Nuno's old man who owned the music shop in downtown Hudson, MA. Used to frequent it when I worked for DEC in Hudson, and years before, coming in from Clinton to his shop.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpax64. Show rpax64's posts

[QUOTE]Went with Godsmack.  Really hard to deny serious metal. As far as Aerosmith is concerned, my 13 year old son said it best "wow, you mean there was time when they were actually GOOD? "  Rather gouge my eardrums out with an ice pick then listen to anything they've recorded over the last 25 years.
    Posted by YanksBlo[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoomersRockToo. Show BoomersRockToo's posts

Aerosmith for the height and breath of their careers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from podman. Show podman's posts

[QUOTE]I agree - it's not a good list without Susan! Otherwise, I'm a J Geils gal, all the way.  They are hard drivin' men!  Whamma jamma! 
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

To quote Steven Tyler: "Without J. Geils, there would be no Aerosmith."  A-men...Without J. Geils (and the Woofah-Doofah et al.) on this list, it is illegitimate.

Podmanic...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from podman. Show podman's posts

J. Geils...period

Yes, Aerosmith may be our greatest, but to leave The J. Geils Band off this list is beyond belief.  They rocked Boston and Cambridge...and the rest of New England for over 20 years.  They could blow your FACE OUT BABY!  As Steven Tyler said: "Without J. Geils, there would be no Aerosmith."
    (And to leave off Susan Tedeschi is also a crime.)

Podmanic of The Plow and Stars

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Morphine is my favorite because the music gets right into my soul and body.   I loved them and them saw them live at the club liberty in Austin Texas (now gone).  It's innovative, haunting, and somehow speaks to me.   I think Mark Sandman was a genius.   
    Posted by TGASH[/QUOTE]

Treat Her Right  -- should have been on the list. (Mark Sandman's first band -- yes, he was so talented and he is truly missed)

Either Orchestra

Throwing Muses 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

The Plough and Stars, the Groggery........

all of a sudden, I'm 23 again, and a size 10.  Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Robo84. Show Robo84's posts

RazzMattazz mentioned Missing Persons... good one.  Forgot about them.  Yeah, they are definitely Boston based or at least lead singer Dale Bozzio is (Medford I think).   
    I'm giving up though.  All these really good bands, but New Kids on the Block get 6% and James Taylor with 10%...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrittaW. Show BrittaW's posts

No Lyres/DMZ or the Real Kids? What's wrong with you people? They're more important in the history of Boston rock than just about any other bands I can think of...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

[QUOTE]Just tossing it out there but I believe Jerry Harrison of the Talking Heads and David Robinson of the Cars where originally (Jonathan Richman and the) Modern Lovers.  Anybody know if this is true?  Also the Atlantics, a New Wave/Power Pop groups from (circa 1982-4) Tufts had a song called Lonely Hearts, which is an awesome and very under-rated tune.
    Posted by EddieD-Dedham[/QUOTE]

True.
    Also, good call on the Atlantics.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

Forgot about the Lyres.  Should be high on the list.  Again, very Boston.
    Missing Persons doesn't count.  They're an LA band.
    And while Throwing Muses is really a Newport band, including Springfield (or Amherst) bands requires you include Newport.  In that case Throwing Muses really has to be top 5.  Way more influential than the Pixies, but not quite as much as Burma or Modern Lovers.