Who's funny? (OT)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Who's funny? (OT)

I thought it would be fun to get a read from you all on the comedy entertainers who give you the most laughs.    Some people have such a flair for comedy, the minute they walk on the set, you start laughing.    

Any TV sitcoms that consistenly (note:  there will always be an occasional episode that's a dud, even with the best comedies, so some slack must be allowed) make you laugh?

A few of mine:

Jimmy Fallon
    Chris Rock
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    Amy Poeler  (note: Parks and Recreation, a send-up to small town politics, is a scream).
    The Big Bang Theory (still funny after all these years)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Who's funny? (OT)

Agreed re: Poehler, Rock, and Dreyfus (JL-D is a titan of TV comedy.)

Add: Louis C.K., Amy Schumer, Wanda Sykes, JB Smoove, Marc Maron, Fred Armisen

New TV: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia; Curb Your Enthusiasm; Archer; Louie; Veep; Arrested Development

Old TV: Night Court; Cheers; Seinfeld, Happy Endings, Weeds, Futurama, Moonlighting, The Thick Of It

And RIP: George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Lenny Bruce, Bill Hicks, Mitch Hedberg

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One of the best hours of standup comedy I have ever seen is Lewis Black's 'Black on Broadway'.  I have the DVD and my wife and I have watched it probably a dozen times and it still makes us howl. 

We also just recorded a George Carlin show from about 1992 recorded in New York and it was also one of the best I've seen.

I enjoy some of Dennis Miller's standup stuff a lot as well, though he's defintely hit or miss.

What I enjoy about all of the above are the on-target 'rants' about the absurdities of the world we live in. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

SCTV featuring the late, great John Candy.

Jack Benny

The Marx Brothers

The Three Stooges

Frank Caliendo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XfQeDjjZR4

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I am a huge fan of what I consider "classic" comedy.

Not much of today's comedians can match up with the masters.

I find Lewis Black to be about the best I've seen recently.

The greatest comedy ever ( and these are in no particular order):

Monty Python's Flying Circus

The Three Stooges

Henny Youngman

Bill Cosby

George Carlin

Rodney Dangerfield

The Marx Brothers

Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner ( the 2000 year old man skits are amongst the greatest).

Cheech and Chong ( the LPs, not so much the movies).

Bob Newhart...superior standup comedian, played a straight man on his t.v. shows.

Woody Allen...his movies, Love and Death , Sleeper, Take The Money And Run...and he was a very good stand up comedian in his early days.

Gilda Radner, perhaps the funniest lady ever.

Eddie Murphy ...his SNL skits are legendary, the Mr. Robinson and Gumby are among the best.

Lenny Bruce

SCTV.....I love all these old shows with Eugene Levy, Joe Flaherty, John Candy, Rick Moranis, Catherine O'Hara, Andrea Martin, Dave Thomas and Harold Ramis was a real scream. Later Martin Short would join the show and he was brilliant.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I am also a HUGE SCTV fan.  One of the best shows in TV history, period.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

New TV: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia; Curb Your Enthusiasm; Archer; Louie; Veep; Arrested Development

Old TV: Night Court; Cheers; Seinfeld, Happy Endings, Weeds, Futurama, Moonlighting, The Thick Of It

It's so easy to forget what how great "Cheers" was and the quality of the ensemble cast on the whole.  If I catch an episode now and again, it still amazes me.   "Moonlighting" was a a very sophisticated comedy as well. 

And speaking of Cheers, that's a segue for "Frasier" which was, and will remain, one of the best sitcoms as well.  

There are still a number of very good sitcoms on the air, but it seems unfair to compare them to shows of that stature.   Even "Modern Family" which had me howling when it was first on the air, has run its course on many levels, since last year.  For one thing, any time you feature that number of children / kids / young teens in a sitcom, you're going to see them grow up, and the story line adjustments are never as funny to accomodate.  The entire cast seems to be somewhat tired as well; the spark is gone.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, this gave me a good laugh b/c I have never heard of this show, and now might be a good time to check into it.   Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, this gave me a good laugh b/c I have never heard of this show, and now might be a good time to check into it.   Laughing

[/QUOTE]

You will not be disappointed.

Top suggestions : any episode with Martin Short as 'Jackie Bradley Jr.'

Dave Thomas as 'Captain Kangaroo.'

Eugene Levy as Bobby Bittman....really hilarious character.

John Candy as restaurant critic, Johnny LaRue

Joe Flaherty doing the "verrrryy, scarrryy" movie of the week hosted by Count Floyd...I love the wolf howls.

Also to add to the list of what's funny:

The movie 'Airplane'...I've seen a dozen times and still laugh like hell.

A crazy spoof movie 'Amazon Women On The Moon'...which is just nuts....if you like SCTV and Monty Python, you have got to love this one.

Hogan's Heroes.....I've seen them all multiple times, still my favorite sitcom ever.

Of course, Seinfeld, which many have mentioned already...especially episodes with 'Uncle Leo' or 'Newman'.

Any episode of Taxi that features Chris Lloyd as Rev. Jim Ignatowski...(He also played the best Klingon ever in Star Trek III ...Commander Kruge). He is sensational in Back To The Future also.   I also forgot to mention Abbott and Costello and Laurel and Hardy. The"who's on first" is undoubtedly the best comedy routine ever. Laurel and Hardy trying to carry a piano across a rope bridge in 'Swiss Miss' is priceless.          

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

It's so easy to forget what how great "Cheers" was and the quality of the ensemble cast on the whole.  If I catch an episode now and again, it still amazes me.   "Moonlighting" was a a very sophisticated comedy as well. 

And speaking of Cheers, that's a segue for "Frasier" which was, and will remain, one of the best sitcoms as well.  

There are still a number of very good sitcoms on the air, but it seems unfair to compare them to shows of that stature.   Even "Modern Family" which had me howling when it was first on the air, has run its course on many levels, since last year.  For one thing, any time you feature that number of children / kids / young teens in a sitcom, you're going to see them grow up, and the story line adjustments are never as funny to accomodate.  The entire cast seems to be somewhat tired as well; the spark is gone.   

[/QUOTE]

Some of the newer ones are ok; many of the setups are different, and they appeal to a more self-centered, social media-feeding culture, hence the "fourth wall-breaking" trend of The Office and Modern Family.  (I like Parks & Rec, too.)

You mentioned TBBT (not a fan), which is more of a classic sitcom and compares more evenly, I think.  I can't stomach most of the other network stuff...either too tame or too lame.  

Moonlighting was a great mix of comedy, drama, romance, and light action that paved the way for more complex relationships on-air, though with a classic premise (with classic gags to boot).

Psych is one of my current favorites.  Funny, irreverent, light-hearted, not at all mean-spirited and above all, entertaining.  It's like a good pulp novel that doesn't overpromise or over-deliver.

Weeds was great in its prime, too...intelligent, well-acted, edgy, and a great ride 'til the end.  Mary Louise Parker as Nancy Botwin made one of the greatest characters ever.  (Note the creator of Weeds, Jenji Kohan, also created Orange Is The New Black.)

And then there's Louie, which pretty much destroys every stand-up comedian-based sitcom ever...by turns funny, touching and profound in all the best ways.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

Amazon Women on the Moon was a very funny movie.

Also, Kung Pow, Hot Shots, Airplane,

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

One of the best hours of standup comedy I have ever seen is Lewis Black's 'Black on Broadway'.  I have the DVD and my wife and I have watched it probably a dozen times and it still makes us howl. 

We also just recorded a George Carlin show from about 1992 recorded in New York and it was also one of the best I've seen.

I enjoy some of Dennis Miller's standup stuff a lot as well, though he's defintely hit or miss.

What I enjoy about all of the above are the on-target 'rants' about the absurdities of the world we live in. 

Love Lewis Black! The guy is awesome!

Then of course if you are a male you are genetically predisposed to having to find the "3 Stooges" funny no matter how many times you see each episode! Sorry, it's a guy thing.

I used to love letting my kid's watch the Stooges, I loved to hear them laugh - and I had to laugh at their laughter.

George Carlin was great - liked his show on Fox

Jack Azz was very funny.

I took my son to see the Johnny Knoxville flick "Bad Grandpa" - the audience was laughing at my son for his laughing so loudly - it was a funny movie IMHO.

I like "Mike & Molly" for a tv show "Seinfeld" was funny.............but one of the funniest shows (and I know a lot of you will cringe.....) "Family Guy" - some of the lines are just crazy funny - sick & twisted too but funny IMHO.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I should have mentioned Larry David and 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'.

One of my favorite Curb Your Enthusiasm moments was the episode where Larry thinks he's dying.  As he's lying on his deathbed he gets into this big discussion with his wife about one of their Sopranos DVD's that went missing.  He still blames her for losing the DVD because she didn't follow his filing system properly.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

One of my favorite Curb Your Enthusiasm moments was the episode where Larry thinks he's dying.  As he's lying on his deathbed he gets into this big discussion with his wife about one of their Sopranos DVD's that went missing.  He still blames her for losing the DVD because she didn't follow his filing system properly.   

[/QUOTE]

Larry David sure knows a thing or two about comedy.

I just watched "Clear History" again the other night...it's classic Larry (albeit playing another character...still as himself) in a New England setting.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You will not be disappointed.

Top suggestions : any episode with Martin Short as 'Jackie Bradley Jr.'

Dave Thomas as 'Captain Kangaroo.'

Eugene Levy as Bobby Bittman....really hilarious character.

John Candy as restaurant critic, Johnny LaRue

Joe Flaherty doing the "verrrryy, scarrryy" movie of the week hosted by Count Floyd...I love the wolf howls.

Also to add to the list of what's funny:

The movie 'Airplane'...I've seen a dozen times and still laugh like hell.

A crazy spoof movie 'Amazon Women On The Moon'...which is just nuts....if you like SCTV and Monty Python, you have got to love this one.

Hogan's Heroes.....I've seen them all multiple times, still my favorite sitcom ever.

Of course, Seinfeld, which many have mentioned already...especially episodes with 'Uncle Leo' or 'Newman'.

Any episode of Taxi that features Chris Lloyd as Rev. Jim Ignatowski...(He also played the best Klingon ever in Star Trek III ...Commander Kruge). He is sensational in Back To The Future also.   I also forgot to mention Abbott and Costello and Laurel and Hardy. The"who's on first" is undoubtedly the best comedy routine ever. Laurel and Hardy trying to carry a piano across a rope bridge in 'Swiss Miss' is priceless.        

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will check into it.   Sounds absolutely hysterical, and there is never enough (let alone too much) decent comedy to watch. 

I also love "Back to the Future" and Chris Lloyd was perfect in it.   Also, it goes without saying that the world owes Bob Newhart a debt of gratitude, as you mentioned in your previous post.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Larry David sure knows a thing or two about comedy.

I just watched "Clear History" again the other night...it's classic Larry (albeit playing another character...still as himself) in a New England setting.

[/QUOTE]

I thought that was awful. I was really disappointed with it. It almost came off like a bad Curb episode that was cut from production, but last 2 hours.

It might be the worst thing he's ever done.

He's probably the best comedic writer of all time, IMO, because of the consistency, longevity and quality of his work compared to anyone one else's, but that was bad one.

Can't win em all.

[/QUOTE]

Then we disagree...I thought it was pretty funny tv movie with a good cast and some really choice cameos.

Naturally, it's not 'Curb', but it wasn't supposed to be, either, except for the improvised parts - which naturally suited some actors better than others.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Here a few TV comedy shows that I like that may not be too well known but I think are quite entertaining:

Bosom Buddies: Tom Hanks, before he became a movie star, was very funny in this.

Square Pegs: Sarah Jessica Parker as a high school nerd, before her transformation into a glamour girl in Sex and the City. She'll always be "String Bean" to me.

Due South:  A Canadian Mountie in Chicago starring Paul Gross. The first two seasons are the good ones.

Matty, good call on Psych. It's one of my favorite shows, and very entertaining.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

307103_1.jpg (317×450)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I thought it would be fun to get a read from you all on the comedy entertainers who give you the most laughs.    Some people have such a flair for comedy, the minute they walk on the set, you start laughing.    

Any TV sitcoms that consistenly (note:  there will always be an occasional episode that's a dud, even with the best comedies, so some slack must be allowed) make you laugh?

A few of mine:

Jimmy Fallon
    Chris Rock
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    Amy Poeler  (note: Parks and Recreation, a send-up to small town politics, is a scream).

I don't know who most of those people are.  I like two types of comedy:  simple, clever, word play (Chris Rock, George Carlin, Steven Wright)....and surreality e.g. Marx brothers, Python.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtIMk63NEis

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Robert Schimmel

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

A few of mine:

Jimmy Fallon
    Chris Rock
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus

[/QUOTE]

Yoga, have you heard of the English comedian Tommy Cooper?  I never had until I moved over here, and he had died several years before I arrived.  I love him...the ultimate "it's the way you tell it" comedian.  He did some really poor, probably deliberately so, magic....and all his jokes were decades old...but I and many others think he was hilarious....his face, his delivery, his fez.

Have a look on youtube if you're interested...and I reckon you are!  Famously, horribly, sadly and creepily he died on stage on live tv....and everyone in the studio and the millions of people at home laughed at his silly joke.  I actually think it was a pretty good death for such a man, but still....:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcE-XZEfeFs

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Also, Tracy Ullman.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Agree with SCTV and the Marx Bros.. Also like Kids in The Hall

Mitch Hedberg was my all time fave followed closely by George Carlin. Also loved Greg Giraldo

Love almost anything Ricky Gervais does (Derek is one of the greatest shows I have ever seen).

Big fan of Gilbert Godfried as well.

Sections
Shortcuts