Whose debut album was this?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Whose debut album was this?

Who played all of the instrumental parts (with the exception of drums), on his debut solo album?   This includes acoustic, pedal steel and electric guitars, bass, piano, organ, plus all of the vocals.  

Anyone know?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Re: Whose debut album was this?

In Response to Whose debut album was this?:
    [QUOTE]Who played all of the instrumental parts (with the exception of drums), on his debut solo  album?   This includes acoustic, pedal steel and electric guitars, bass, piano, organ, plus all of the vocals.   Anyone know?
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Off the top of my head Matt Johnson with The The?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'll guess Jerry Garcia?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Whose debut album was this?:
    [QUOTE]Who played all of the instrumental parts (with the exception of drums), on his debut solo  album?   This includes acoustic, pedal steel and electric guitars, bass, piano, organ, plus all of the vocals.   Anyone know?
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]Lenny Kravitz?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Good choices so far...

(I'm inclined to say Paul McCartney)

...but I'll second Leafs though, and say Matt Johnson of The The.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Whose debut album was this?:
    [QUOTE]I'll guess Jerry Garcia?
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

You've got your mojo goin lately, that's for sure.  

Jerry Garcia is the one.   Sort of a trick question (in a way), so nice going.  :)

I can't say if there was anyone else that has this to their credit -- it would have to be a debut album to match Garcia, however. 

OR, if not a debut, there may be others (but I'm sure not many) that have done this  -- but did anyone ever top this?   Garcia's solo debut album was released way back in 1972.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

BTW, I heard "Sugaree" on the radio yesterday and that's what got me going on this.  

"Sugaree" is on Garcia's debut solo album.   Such a great song.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Whose debut album was this? : Off the top of my head Matt Johnson with The The?
    Posted by leafswin27[/QUOTE]

Wait a second ... you're also SO right on the money, too.  

Nice going (and Matty, for the second vote on this one).   Not sure if he played as many instruments for the album, but nonetheless, he did play them all.  

I just searched on it and sure enough, Johnson did accomplish the same feat:

"In 1981 Johnson was signed up by Ivo Watts-Russell for 4AD Records to record a solo album Burning Blue Soul. Although all of the instruments and vocals were performed by Johnson, the album featured various producers including Wire's Bruce Gilbert and Graham Lewis, Ivo and Johnson himself. Years later, due to a request from Johnson it would be re-issued and credited to The The."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whose debut album was this? : Wait a second ... you're also SO right on the money, too.   Nice going (and Matty, for the second vote on this one).   Not sure if he played as many instruments for the album, but nonetheless, he did play them all.  Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Except for the pedal steel guitar (should have realized...), I believe.... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I was going to guess Dave Grohl at first,until I reread about not doing the drumming.That was a big hint for me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

McCartney played all the instruments, including drums, on his debut solo album.  He had to one-up John.Smile

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]McCartney played all the instruments, including drums, on his debut solo album.  He had to one-up John.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Seriously?   Are you talking about "McCartney" ?   JE will be sorry he didn't get this one ... and Matty seemed to have had the right instinct on this, too -- but he didn't commit.   Ah, too bad.  :D     

ETA:

Ah, wait, Linda did backing vocals ... but Paul did all lead vocals, so I won't be petty.  :)   Paul deserves his props for this (amazing) , and so do you, Hfx.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Sounds like something Zappa or Reznor would pull off, perhaps Prince, but I have no solid idea. Just some vaguely educated guesses...  In fact, isn't just about every NIN album completely, or almost completely, performed by Reznor....then he goes an hires a band to tour?
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Prince -- you're absolutely right on the money here.   Trent Reznor, also.  Seems Reznor's studio albums have this history; like Garcia, the one instrument he does not play, is drums.  

Sorry, I didn't do my homework, but I'll stand up to Jerry Garcia as the answer to my initial question, at least based on the instruments that were listed.   Heh. That's all I can say on that.  :D

Otherwise, now you know a few top rate musicians who have this accomplishment to their credit and you can show off the next time someone asks.  :P   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Whose debut album was this? : Lenny Kravitz?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Right on the money here, too, Carnie.  Nice.  :)    

Can't believe this ... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Everyone was right. They are all musicians - not just Rock Stars.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I believe Evan Shore recorded everything on the first Muck and the Mires album, though he's not the greatest drummer in the world.  His drummer/wife Linda is absoloutely stupendous, though.