Why do we get so snobby about Jazz and Classical?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

Why do we get so snobby about Jazz and Classical?

I say this as a huge fan of classical music. I've noted, particularly here in eastern mass, that lots of people get incredibly snobby about classical. Just to take one example, NPR had a two recent episodes dealing with classical music, and even as someone with a background in music and an understanding of its history, I found it incredibly annoying that they spoke in classical code to the listeners (assumed very specific knowledge on the parts of listeners about pieces, etc), and just generally came across as snobby.

This is something I encoutner all the time with Jazz (which I don't listen to) and classical (which I do listen to). It seems like classical is intended as a music the blue bloods/yanks, want to have all to themselves. But I think classical is somethign everyone could enjoy if it wasn't wrapped up in all this elitist nonsense.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Why do we get so snobby about Jazz and Classical?

To be honest, I cannot comment on this one way or another. Having grown up in a house where Classical, Jazz, Big Band and Opera were mainstays, I never got that feeling. And being a member of Lincoln Center and seeing the audiences, I have not seen any of this as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

As a huge fan of jazz I don't see the snobby attitude at all. Jazz encompasses so many different styles that there is something for everyone. My children sometimes even prefer to listen to it. Jazz on the radio in the Boston area, especially on WGBH (89.7 on your FM dial), is very open, entertaining, as well as educational if you listen to the DJs on a regular basis. My feelings are if the music moves you then go for it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Insofar as NPR goes ... it is what it is.  Annoys the heck out of me at times, I admit, there is a smarmy attitude in terms of music discussions, and certainly when they do interviews.   But I put it into context, and let it go.

I have to agree re: the snobbery, to a certain extent re: classical, b/c I do attend a number of classical concerts a year and am a subscriber to a classical music organization in Boston.  (the organization is amazing and treats subscribers like gold, they are a class act).

I do think the classical music scene is trying to become more accessible via ticket pricing for sure, but there is still an attitude that I do experience, I am sorry to say.  It's not pervasive, but it is there. 

But I do think most people feel free to attend classical concerts and not feel like they are trying to blend into an elite crowd.  You do see mostly an older crowd, I do attend, so I see this first hand, at least in Boston.   I think the paradigm is shifting, but it takes time.  I am one of the few people without gray hair. Embarassed

I attended a concert at Symphony Hall a while back, for Lang Lang, the classical pianist from China, and it was sensational.  I decided to go see him again a couple years later, and cell phones went off not once, but TWICE during the concert.  This, even after they have asked, lighted onto the wall prior to the performance, to turn cell phones OFF.
    Did this ruin the concert for me.  YES IT DID.  I was so angry.  And it was in the review of the concert, that is how bad and disturbing it was. 
    Could have been anyone.  But we paid a lot of money for those tickets and that was just disrespectful to everyone, including Lang Lang.  
    So it goes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I grew up on a parallel course with Rock 'n Roll music and feel it is my destiny to be a Rock music fan.

However , I have listened to Blues,  Big Band, Jazz, Classical, Disco (against my will) , Rap ( SEE DISCO) , and Pop music.

If Rock music didn't exist and all the others were around, I would be listening to Classical and Blues. Jazz never did much for me, except as background while working.

I find many similarities between Progressive Rock and Classical, I thank Emerson, Lake and Palmer and the Moody Blues for introducing this devoted Rock music lover to the beauty of classical music.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

I grew up in a house where classical was the norm, and I was given a pretty thorough musical education as a kid (from piano to classical guitar lessons). And I don't mean to say it is all pervasive, but I do detect a smarminess in the classical world. I also get a sense that it is less open to the unitiated.

With Jazz, I guess I just never understood the draw, and so maybe I am just taking offense to its pervasiveness at coffee houses and book stores. To the assumption that it is the music of the intellectual.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

For quite some time I've been meaning to start up a thread on classical music.  Not just classical but electronic.  Because I discovered the two at around the same time, thanks to Walter/Wendy Carlos and the Clockwork Orange soundtrack.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

I dunno....I'm not big on classical (to the point where I could sound really, really intelligent) but I've never felt like I was being talked down to, or excluded, or that those who were better in the know than I were being snobby.  The way I see it, we all have our strengths and weaknesses, our general and specific areas of knowledge.   The NPR announcers speak to an audience that they assume is tuning in because they are familiar with the terminology - much in the same way baseball announcers will tell you it's a 6-3-4 double play. 

Then again, I don't have a problem asking someone.."what does that mean?" - or looking it up on the internet if I really, really want to know. 

But I've never felt that classical was a blue-blood thing.  Never really got the sense of elitist, either.   It could be because I'm an artist, and live in my own world a lot.  Or it could be that I simply don't care what people think of me. 

Those who pretend to snobbery are generally those who need to get their sense of ego from the approval or envy of others. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Unfortunately, much of the feeling of snobbery is in regard to ticket pricing,  and it's been the basis of much discussion and change in the recent past.   Ticket pricing is out of control in other venues as well (think sports, and rock concerts), but it has been a consistent theme in the classical world that ticket prices have been part of the reason they cannot attract a younger, hipper audience.  You see the media reporting on it all the time.   Does this enable the elitist attitude?  

The organization I belong to has gone out of their way to create affordable pricing, and it it weren't for that, I would not be able to attend.   I cannot afford the BSO, not saying that hurts me, but it's a fact.   Yes, they have to get paid, like the rest of us, and I'm not even saying the tickets are over priced, but I can't afford it. 

As far as venues go, I love the NE Conservatory.  Every seat is good, and it's intimate.   I love the NEC. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Not to generalize too severely, but anti-intellectualism is on the rise nationally if not in certain cultural circles.

This is not to say either that classical or jazz music is exclusively the realm of the intellectual mind, however both genres require a certain expanded musical vocabulary and exposure that generally (though not always) comes from living and growing up in a well-educated environment.

I would also suggest that certain biases (cultural, political...) against public radio sometimes turn off people who might otherwise be exposed to less commercial, more challenging musical fare.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

In Response to Re: Why do we get so snobby about Jazz and Classical?:
    [QUOTE]Unfortunately, much of the feeling of snobbery is in regard to ticket pricing,  and it's been the basis of much discussion and change in the recent past.   Ticket pricing is out of control in other venues as well (think sports, and rock concerts), but it has been a consistent theme in the classical world that ticket prices have been part of the reason they cannot attract a younger, hipper audience.  You see the media reporting on it all the time.   Does this enable the elitist attitude?   The organization I belong to has gone out of their way to create affordable pricing, and it it weren't for that, I would not be able to attend.   I cannot afford the BSO, not saying that hurts me, but it's a fact.   Yes, they have to get paid, like the rest of us, and I'm not even saying the tickets are over priced, but I can't afford it.  As far as venues go, I love the NE Conservatory.  Every seat is good, and it's intimate.   I love the NEC. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]
    I was thinking more about attitude than ticket prices. I understand the need to pay performers.

What organization do you belong to?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]Not to generalize too severely, but anti-intellectualism is on the rise nationally if not in certain cultural circles. This is not to say either that classical or jazz music is exclusively the realm of the intellectual mind, however both genres require a certain expanded musical vocabulary and exposure that generally (though not always) comes from living and growing up in a well-educated environment. I would also suggest that certain biases (cultural, political...) against public radio sometimes turn off people who might otherwise be exposed to less commercial, more challenging musical fare.
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

I don't see this as part of the anti-intellectual movement though. i am just responding to a sense of snobbery among Jazz and Classical fans and programs I percieve, having been involved in music most of my life.

I don't buy the argument that classical requires more of a musical vocabulary than any other style. If you want to understand a pieces context, what it added to the tradition, etc you need to understand what came before of course, and this would require more in depth knowledge (but the same can be said of folk or even rock and roll), but that shouldn't create a barrier to enjoying the music.

Also, maybe the whole idea of appreciating music intellectually is misguided. As a musician, I think music's value is much more on an emotional level than an intellectual one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Not to generalize too severely, but anti-intellectualism is on the rise nationally if not in certain cultural circles.Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

Are you trying to say that "Jersey Shore" and "Survivor" are not intellectual fare? Laughing