Wilco (yes, no, or meh-be?)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Wilco (yes, no, or meh-be?)

Wilco: on your radar lately?  Perhaps.  Wilco is releasing a new album on September 27, 2011; they made the album available on live stream a week ago, for two days, so you may have heard it then (they have a long-standing reputation, in fact, for streaming their music ahead of offical release dates).  There's a cover of an old Nick Lowe song on their new album (on the deluxe edition), and I just read that Lowe is going to tour with Wilco, so if you were interested in tickets, that might be an added incentive.  :)

Any Wilco fans out there?   They've been influenced by many styles and genres of music, and have the unique quality of being fairly non-categorizable.  Yet, they have a distinctive sound all their own as an alt rock band that has taken a truly alternative route.   Or so they say.   What do you say?  Are they chameleon-like, or do they actually churn out their music?   I only have two of their albums, "A.M." and "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" -- anyone care to recommend a third, or should I wait for the new release? 

Thoughts, anyone?   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Wilco (yes, no, or meh-be?)

I am not a fan but, I could be swayed. Any band that covers Nick Lowe has potential for me. Touring with Nick, eh? That could do the trick for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6foDASkIlQ

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

What is this Wilco you speak of? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Wilco (yes, no, or meh-be?):
    What is this Wilco you speak of? 
    Posted by jkjband

Uh, very funny.  :D   If my memory serves me, you're a pretty big fan.   What, no comments?  Did you give up on them?   :D

Sorry, DD.  Wilco's Boston show is SOLD OUT.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Not at all.  If your looking for a album to somewhat encompass their career, may I suggest Kicking Television.  It's a 2 cd set of them live, which is where they really excel. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Another vote for "Yes"....

The twang in their eclectic version of country-rock puts most "real" country acts to shame by the third bar.

"Y-H-F" is a must-own in my book; "Being There" and "Summerteeth" are just as good, if not slightly better and more elegiac, IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Not at all.  If your looking for a album to somewhat encompass their career, may I suggest Kicking Television .  It's a 2 cd set of them live, which is where they really excel. 
    Posted by jkjband
    Thanks.  I'll check it out.  I really like the two albums that I have, and they're not new, by any means.  

The new release will no doubt be on the AOL new music site in a couple of weeks for a "try before you by" run through.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is, IMHO, one of the best albums ever made. I'm looking forward to reading the Pitchfork review of the new album any day now ;-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Another vote for "Yes".... The twang in their eclectic version of country-rock puts most "real" country acts to shame by the third bar. "Y-H-F" is a must-own in my book; "Being There" and "Summerteeth" are just as good, if not slightly better and more elegiac, IMO.
    Posted by MattyScornD
    Thanks, Matty.  Lots of choices, then, to fill out more Wilco listening.  I'm going to wait to hear the new album, too.   

Also, what league (not category) would you put Wilco in?  By that I mean, would you be able to say "if you like (fill in band name), you might like Wilco"  -- in your opinion.    Just wondering.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

for some reason i associate them with spoon in some regard. another good band under most people's radars.

jeff tweedy is really, really good. some stuff is less my style than others, but even then... matty said it best:

The twang in their eclectic version of country-rock puts most "real" country acts to shame by the third bar.

if you get down with wilco, i would get into band of horses if you haven't already.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

for some reason i associate them with spoon in some regard. another good band under most people's radars. jeff tweedy is really, really good. some stuff is less my style than others, but even then... matty said it best: The twang in their eclectic version of country-rock puts most "real" country acts to shame by the third bar. if you get down with wilco, i would get into band of horses if you haven't already.
    Posted by phsmith8
    What I know of Band of Horses, I like -- quite a bit, in fact.  I wouldn't have made the association, but I trust your ear on that.   Something to check out -- thanks.  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Wilco (yes, no, or meh-be?) : Thanks, Matty.  Lots of choices, then, to fill out more Wilco listening.  I'm going to wait to hear the new album, too.    Also, what league (not category) would you put Wilco in?  By that I mean, would you be able to say "if you like (fill in band name), you might like Wilco"  -- in your opinion.    Just wondering.   
    Posted by yogafriend

Roots Rockers, I guess, is my best phrase for them...(a friend said "refined garage rock" which works for me too)...but they cover a lot of ground.

Naturally, their stylistic kin like Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt, Golden Smog, Jayhawks, maybe The Old 97s, Deer Tick or older acts like The Heartbreakers, Replacements, Neil Young...Band Of Horses is a good one, too, as per ph....

Someone called them america's answer to radiohead, but I don't really buy that line...

...more like the most capable heirs to Neil Young & Crazy Horse.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Easily one the best acts out there over the past decade or so.  There stuff with Billy Bragg, Mermaid Avenue and other is exceptional. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Easily one the best acts out there over the past decade or so.  There stuff with Billy Bragg, Mermaid Avenue and other is exceptional. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

I love the Billy Bragg collaboration, too.   I had a thread on Billy Bragg, such a cool dude, a while back, and Mermaid Avenue was mentioned, and I had the chance to look into it.  Awesome and exceptional.  Good catch, thanks.  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Wilco (yes, no, or meh-be?) : Roots Rockers, I guess, is my best phrase for them...(a friend said "refined garage rock" which works for me too)...but they cover a lot of ground. Naturally, their stylistic kin like Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt, Golden Smog, Jayhawks, maybe The Old 97s, Deer Tick or older acts like The Heartbreakers, Replacements, Neil Young...Band Of Horses is a good one, too, as per ph.... Someone called them america's answer to radiohead, but I don't really buy that line... ...more like the most capable heirs to Neil Young & Crazy Horse.
    Posted by MattyScornD
    Thanks.  They do cover a bit of ground, and that's why they're so interesting, IMHO.  The way I got into Wilco in the first place was from a friend who was an Uncle Tupelo fan -- and then came Wilco.  They are a departure for me, in a way, so the music has a unique hold on me.   Nice.     

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Someone called them america's answer to radiohead, but I don't really buy that line... ...more like the most capable heirs to Neil Young & Crazy Horse.
    Posted by MattyScornD

well put...unfortunately, i don't think we have an answer for them over here in the states. in terms of how much ground they've covered perhaps, but not how much ground they've broken.

IMHO, flaming lips are the closest we've got, and their albums are hit or miss...but then again, they've been around for over twenty years as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Wilco (yes, no, or meh-be?) : well put...unfortunately, i don't think we have an answer for them over here in the states. in terms of how much ground they've covered perhaps, but not how much ground they've broken. IMHO, flaming lips are the closest we've got, and their albums are hit or miss...but then again, they've been around for over twenty years as well.
    Posted by phsmith8
    Good point. However, they have broken ground ... not with every album they put out, but the fact they're a bit of a moving target and you can't really pin them down, speaks for itself.  :D

Ever since I heard the Wayne Coyne interview that I told you about, I learned how long the FL's have been kicking around: a long time.  Had no idea.  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Wilco (yes, no, or meh-be?) : Good point. However, they have broken ground ... not with every album they put out, but the fact they're a bit of a moving target and you can't really pin them down, speaks for itself.   :D Ever since I heard the Wayne Coyne interview that I told you about, I learned how long the FL's have been kicking around: a long time.  Had no idea.  :)
    Posted by yogafriend

I would put them equal planes re: originality.

Except in terms of overall longevity, I submit My Morning Jacket as the closest experimental-yet-still-populist americanization of RH...

...but it's hard to find any truly direct comparisons.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

http://www.vevo.com/liveonletterman?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=watch&utm_campaign=liveonletterman_wilco_pre

Wilco is being streamed live from Letterman tonight at 9p.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: Wilco (yes, no, or meh-be?) : I would put them equal planes re: originality. Except in terms of overall longevity, I submit My Morning Jacket as the closest experimental-yet-still-populist americanization of RH... ...but it's hard to find any truly direct comparisons.
    Posted by MattyScornD

i can dig it. definitely.  give them a few more albums and let's see where they take it.

flaming lips definitely have had their share of duds though.  soft bulliten, not a fan.  favs are yoshimi(obv) and transmissions from the satellite heart...and at war with the mystics has its moments, as well.

as far as originality...flaming lips-zaireeka.  1 album, with tracks divided into 4 discs, you need to start 4 separate cd players at the exact same time to hear the album as it is intended.

i remember mowing my lawn and listening to my ipod in high school, and on shuffle a track from one of the 4 discs would come up and it would be like...birds chirping, some random backup vocals here and there, maybe a train sound...it was wild to hear it all together, as well as separate.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

http://www.vevo.com/liveonletterman?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=watch&utm_campaign=liveonletterman_wilco_pre Wilco is being streamed live from Letterman tonight at 9p.
    Posted by StalkingButler

Hey, thanks.  I don't watch Letterman, but if it's live stream, it's a breeze to check it out.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Wilco: The Whole Love Pitchfork review:

http://www.pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15856-wilco/

They say it's good but not great.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Wilco: The Whole Love Pitchfork review: http://www.pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15856-wilco/ They say it's good but not great.
    Posted by StalkingButler

Thanks.  

Here's a link to the full album online, made available online since this thread originated:

Sections
Shortcuts