Wilco's Solid Sound Festiva 2013l: "An antidote to big-name destination festivals elsewhere in the country"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Wilco's Solid Sound Festiva 2013l: "An antidote to big-name destination festivals elsewhere in the country"

Festival of the week is Wilco's Solid Sound Festival 2013.    
    June 21-23, 2013

What is the Solid Sound Festival?

Wilco’s Solid Sound Festival is a three-day celebration of music, comedy, art and community held at the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art in the scenic small town of North Adams in The Berkshires of Western MA.  

Envisioned by Wilco and presented in collaboration with MASS MoCA, the weekend features two headlining Wilco concerts, a comedy cabaret programmed and hosted by John Hodgman, additional musical performances on four stages selected by Wilco and including Wilco-related side projects, a wide array of all-ages programming, and of course, world-class modern art.

There are also featured speakers, workshops, theatrical performers, food and drink, camping, shuttle buses, pop-up stores and more (in the two festivals done to date, “more” has included everything from live falconry demonstrations to Jeff Tweedy in a charity dunk tank).

In short, the festival is a fun, fantastic collective experience for Wilco and its community of fans. 2013 will be the third iteration of the festival.

There is much more detailed information on the website, for anyone who will seriously consider attending.   It looks AMAZING.   

Talk about the "antidote to big name destination festivals"  -- On Friday, Wilco will do a special show:

Wilco’s Friday night set at Solid Sound will be comprised exclusively of fan-requested songs, including covers. The band will take song submissions in advance and promises to learn 50 of those songs for the festival. Then, during the concert, approximately 20 songs will be selected live, at random, for Wilco to perform during its regular set. The encores will feature more fan-requested songs submitted via Twitter, as well as a live version of “Stump the Band” in which audience members will request songs and attempt to stump Wilco, a variation on the original “Stump the Band” segment featured on The Tonight Show. The Solid Sound version will feature modern-day comedic talent John Hodgman standing in for the late-great Johnny Carson, polling audience members for their best song challenges. This is the first-ever all-request concert by Wilco. It may also be the last. Info on how to request songs coming soon.

More:

http://www.massmoca.org/event_details.php?id=809

http://solidsoundfestival.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Wilco's Solid Sound Festival 2013:

Lineup:  

Friday, June 21:

Wilco
    The Relatives
    White Denim
    plus Yo La Tengo playing live to the film “The Love Song of R. Buckminster Fuller”

Saturday, June 22:

Wilco
    Neko Case
    Low
    Yo La Tengo
    Foxygen
    The Dream Syndicate  (NOTE: first time in No. America since 1988)
    Lucius
    Mark Mulcahy
    Sam Amidon
    plus John Hodgman’s Comedy Cabaret featuring Reggie Watts, Al Madrigal, Jen Kirkman

Sunday, June 23:

The Blisters
    Mikael Jorgensen and Greg O’Keeffe
    Nels Cline and Julian Lage
    Glenn Kotche’s On Fillmore backing a live performance of the public radio show Radiolab
    The Autumn Defense
    Border Music featuring Mark Ribot and David Hidalgo
    Os Mutantes
    Medeski, Martin & Wood (and special guests)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Wilco's Solid Sound Festiva 2013l:

Good call, yoga.  Already got my tix.  :))

Been loooking forward to it since the last one in 2011 escaped me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Yoga, Matty - I'll be there.......look for the guy in the T-Shirt!

;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

;)

Cool!

I'll be the guy in shades....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Good call, yoga.  Already got my tix.  :))

Been loooking forward to it since the last one in 2011 escaped me.

Wow, good for you.  It's a steal.  Saw that early worm tix were sold out, but there are still two/three (and single day) passes.   Looks so amazing.  Low, Foxygen (mentioned last week, too), Dream Syndicate.  Yo La Tengo.    I am going to look into it.   

What I noticed (and liked) was also, this festival is curated by Wilco (similar to the London festival where all of the acts are selected by a major artist, as opposed to a corporate organization), so that's fascinating in itself.   

There is so much to it.   I didn't post the "modern art" component  (didn't want to put too much emphasis on it) but that will be fun, too.    And not far from Williamstown, if you like the gentility of the Clark Institute.   I like the setting and the atmosphere more than some of the art I've seen there, but overall, it's a nice destination.     

The hell with Newport -- this is much more enticing.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

;)

Well, I'll be the brunette wearing a yoga tee shirt.   :)  (No, I don't wear yoga pants in public, sorry).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Too bad I'm not a fan of Wilco or any of the other acts appeaing at the show because this takes place right in my neck of the woods. This show is so popular that in order to help accomodate the crowd expected, MASS MoCA has urged residents to rent out rooms in their homes for concert goers. http://blog.massmoca.org/

The museum is also of little interest to me. i have been a couple of times to show it to visiting relatives, but to me it is just a bunch of garbage. The building the museum is housed in has more meaning to me as it relates to my family history. My father worked for many years there when it was the Sprague Electric Co. I also worked there in production for a couple summers and this verified that going to college was the right way to go for me.

I hope all you who will be attending will have a great time. Enjoy your stay in the Beautiful Berkshires!

P.S. If you want some good mac & cheese while in town, try The Hub.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

;)

Well, I'll be the brunette wearing a yoga tee shirt.   :)  (No, I don't wear yoga pants in public, sorry).

No Lululemons?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Too bad I'm not a fan of Wilco or any of the other acts appeaing at the show because this takes place right in my neck of the woods. This show is so popular that in order to help accomodate the crowd expected, MASS MoCA has urged residents to rent out rooms in their homes for concert goers. http://blog.massmoca.org/

The museum is also of little interest to me. i have been a couple of times to show it to visiting relatives, but to me it is just a bunch of garbage. The building the museum is housed in has more meaning to me as it relates to my family history. My father worked for many years there when it was the Sprague Electric Co. I also worked there in production for a couple summers and this verified that going to college was the right way to go for me.

I hope all you who will be attending will have a great time. Enjoy your stay in the Beautiful Berkshires!

I know this is your neck of the woods; I can understand that it's not your cup of tea.   As for Mass MOCA, I agree, a little goes a long way.    Even if I lived close by, it's not a venue I'd be prone to visit very often.    It's fun place to visit, as they say.   

BTW, the website for the festival has very clear regs around "down time" and "quiet time" out of respect for the local residents.  It looks very family-friendly and very well-organized.   

Your father worked for Sprague Electric?   That's so interesting.   I've worked on history projects and one of the companies we had materials for, and researched, was Sprague Electric.   I love learning about all of the old companies that were founded and flourished in MA for many years.   It's darned depressing, however, to know how many went out of business; it's a different world we live in now.   All manufacturing GONE, too.   When we had home-grown businesses, I believe we had more "community" along with employment, of course.   The shape of business has changed so much, we've lost that sense and feeling of community that was so imbued when people worked for local companies and served the people of their own communities.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

I know this is your neck of the woods; I can understand that it's not your cup of tea.   As for Mass MOCA, I agree, a little goes a long way.    Even if I lived close by, it's not a venue I'd be prone to visit very often.    It's fun place to visit, as they say.   

BTW, the website for the festival has very clear regs around "down time" and "quiet time" out of respect for the local residents.  It looks very family-friendly and very well-organized.   

Your father worked for Sprague Electric?   That's so interesting.   I've worked on history projects and one of the companies we had materials for, and researched, was Sprague Electric.   I love learning about all of the old companies that were founded and flourished in MA for many years.   It's darned depressing, however, to know how many went out of business; it's a different world we live in now.   All manufacturing GONE, too.   When we had home-grown businesses, I believe we had more "community" along with employment, of course.   The shape of business has changed so much, we've lost that sense and feeling of community that was so imbued when people worked for local companies and served the people of their own communities.   

There are a lot of stories of Massachusetts mill towns that were once thriving communities. Nearby Pittsfield has also been struggling since GE left town. I have seen first hand the decline of these communities. It's a sad thing to me, but life goes on. The Northeast isn't called the rust belt for nothing.