Wish You Were Here: Our friend, Greg

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Wish You Were Here: Our friend, Greg

There's no easy way to say this: I learned (in another forum) that our friend and fellow music-lover, Greg (greginmeffa) passed away several months ago.    If you've been a 'regular' here for a while, you knew and immediately recognized Greg's brand of enthusiasm, humor, intensity, and vast knowledge of rock music, and music in general.   He was also a man who made it clear that he adored his family, his wife, and how proud he was of his kids.   He was a man who did not shy away from declaring his love of God and the role that his Catholic faith played in his life.   His stories were so much fun to read, and his tales of meeting and playing with fellow musicians brought him to life; I especially loved the story of his escapades with "Lenny" Bernstein, and I would not be surprised if Leonard Bernstein was one of the first people he asked to see when he entered the gates of heaven; we all know Greg made it up that stairway to heaven.  

I am gutted, and I mean that quite sincerely.  Too soon, and yet, he got to experience the three loves of his life (family, faith and service) to the fullest.   I felt like I knew him; his posts were so personal and were so imbued with his shiny personality. 

Greg would no doubt love to see a thread in his honor.    Post a few songs in Greg's honor, let's celebrate a life enriched by music.  

His love for Pink Floyd was quite evident, so I'll start with an obvious choice for Greg:

"Shine on You Crazy Diamond"   

Also, this classic:

"Rhapsody in Blue" -- George Gershwin  (one of Greg's favorites)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Wish You Were Here: Our friend, Greg

Very sorry to hear it.  RIP

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Sorry to hear the sad news. I was wondering why he wasn't posting any more.

It brings up a philosophical musing I have had from time to time. When you have friends on a forum who disappear, you may never know what became of them. It's a bit sad to me to not really know these people I enjoy chatting with, but anonymity is important online to protect ourselves from potentially harmful online exposure. When each of us eventually disappears from our virtual community, those remaining will just be left with an unsolved mystery.

Thanks Yoga, for letting us know about Greg. He couldn't have asked for a better obituary.

I dedicate song to Greg. It's from Berlin Airlift, which I believe was one of his favorite bands from Boston. He probably knew Rick Berlin as well. It's called "Don't Stop Me From Crying".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV_nuKhZymk

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Sad news.  My thoughts and Prayers go out to his family.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Extreme - Rest In Peace

Benjamin Britten - War Requiem

Bernstein/Sondheim - Somewhere

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

This is very sad to hear.My condolences to his family and friends.

Also,thank you Yoga for your eloquently written post.

Neil Young - Mansion on the hill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2niTn3ZIDKI

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Our lives intersect here for a few moments a day or week. We feel a connection to each other because we communicate on things we feel passionate about.

Sometimes you wonder "what happened to this one or that one"...you figure a poster just got fed up with rude obnoxious posters and decided he'd had enough ( I experienced this on occasion myself).

You never expect to hear bad news like this.

I honestly say that I liked Greg, he was a person who you could argue with or agree with and not feel angry. We had a common love of certain types of music, a 180 degree difference in political thinking.

I have already been missing his great contribution, just didn't realize why he wasn't here.

We all have things going on in our personal lives that don't get talked about here, or get only brief mention. You never know when a person might have to deal with real life and all this becomes trivial ( which it is anyway)...sorry to hear about this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Sad to hear, always enjoyed reading Greg's posts here....R.I.P.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

You are all the absolute best.  The *best*.   I was so gutted re: Greg (still am) but it helps to see your warm remarks and thoughts. 

I'm expecting a 'sign' from Greg any minute. :D    

Maybe the lights will flicker, or Joe Bonamassa will explode on the radio.   (Good call, Slim; Greg was possibly the first person to post re: Bonamassa on the forum, and was a huge fan).  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

R.I.P.

Metal Fatigue - Allan Holdsworth

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Sorry to hear the sad news. I was wondering why he wasn't posting any more.

It brings up a philosophical musing I have had from time to time. When you have friends on a forum who disappear, you may never know what became of them. It's a bit sad to me to not really know these people I enjoy chatting with, but anonymity is important online to protect ourselves from potentially harmful online exposure. When each of us eventually disappears from our virtual community, those remaining will just be left with an unsolved mystery.

Thanks Yoga, for letting us know about Greg. He couldn't have asked for a better obituary.

I dedicate song to Greg. It's from Berlin Airlift, which I believe was one of his favorite bands from Boston. He probably knew Rick Berlin as well. It's called "Don't Stop Me From Crying".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV_nuKhZymk

RE: online friends, coming and going.  I agree, this is part of the new world order of conducting part of one's personal life online.   It has limitations that we live with, but rarely discuss.  I've been on many boards, some long ago abandoned.  Yes, we are anonymous, but we are "real", and that is the mystery, as you say, and we accept it. 

Also, a perfect song choice for Greg; now that you mention Berlin Airlift, I recall that they were one of his favorite Boston bands.   Nice. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Wow. A blow for sure.  Indeed as online communities evolve and mature participants will, I hope,  come to realize there is a mortal being behind the screenname and avatar, and we cannot take anyone's onlne presence for granted. 

I did a search at Legacy and believe I found his obits. Quite the renaissance man whose love and proficiencies in music ran wide and deep.  My handle on music is anything but, but I humbly offer these two pieces of music in salute: 

1. Pictures At An Exhibition:  Mussorgsky -->ELP

▶ Mussorgsky "Pictures at an Exhibition" arr: Stokowski - YouTube

2. Classical Gas:  Mason Williams

▶ Classical Gas Mason Williams 1968 - YouTube

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Sad news

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

I am very sorry to hear this. Greg was a unique poster and very nice person.   My condolences to his family, and friends.

Emerson Lake and Palmer - Take a Pebble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPZkivm1xhA

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Always a great conversation and heart. RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azpr8KXE0nI

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I can't say I'm familiar with greginmeffa, but RIP to Greg.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Sad news ... didn't realize it's been several months since he posted.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There's no easy way to say this: I learned (in another forum) that our friend and fellow music-lover, Greg (greginmeffa) passed away several months ago.    If you've been a 'regular' here for a while, you knew and immediately recognized Greg's brand of enthusiasm, humor, intensity, and vast knowledge of rock music, and music in general.   He was also a man who made it clear that he adored his family, his wife, and how proud he was of his kids.   He was a man who did not shy away from declaring his love of God and the role that his Catholic faith played in his life.   His stories were so much fun to read, and his tales of meeting and playing with fellow musicians brought him to life; I especially loved the story of his escapades with "Lenny" Bernstein, and I would not be surprised if Leonard Bernstein was one of the first people he asked to see when he entered the gates of heaven; we all know Greg made it up that stairway to heaven.  

I am gutted, and I mean that quite sincerely.  Too soon, and yet, he got to experience the three loves of his life (family, faith and service) to the fullest.   I felt like I knew him; his posts were so personal and were so imbued with his shiny personality. 

Greg would no doubt love to see a thread in his honor.    Post a few songs in Greg's honor, let's celebrate a life enriched by music.  

His love for Pink Floyd was quite evident, so I'll start with an obvious choice for Greg:

"Shine on You Crazy Diamond"   

Also, this classic:

"Rhapsody in Blue" -- George Gershwin  (one of Greg's favorites)

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this, Yoga.

Over the past 2 years, 5 people very close to me have died (not "passed" or "passed away", died..DIED..they're dead!  My daddy died!  My father-in-law died!  A young friend killed himself.  He's dead!).  I would never have posted my views online about those things...inappropriate, IMO, but mostly because my grief is my own and I leaned on my best friends to get me through it.

Just this week, three musicians I loved died:  Scott Asheton, Randy Alvey and Gary Burger.  Not to mention Tony Benn (famous English politician) and Bob Crow (legendary UK union leader)...and all over the web people I know are "paying tribute" and expressing their "grief".  I always opt out of such things....unless I know the person, what is the point?  To "prove" I'm good?

But for some reason the news of Greg's death has touched me.  Never met him, seemed a very nice person to me, always got on with him....one doesn't usually properly engage (i.e. meet physically) with people from the web so they don't really touch you (me, anyway)....but while I had no big desire to meet him (though would have been happy to!) I feel a real loss.

I think Greg dug Burma:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8piMHsOya4

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

wow just saw this. Very sad too read... I enjoyed reading hsi posts as well

Sections
Shortcuts