Women in Rock and Roll & Popular Music

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Women in Rock and Roll & Popular Music

We have touched on this subject before but let's go at it now. There are many Queens of Rock and Roll and Pop music. From the influences of Etta James (Blues), Patsy Kline (Country) and their contemporaries to the diva's; Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross and the Motown ladies, Dusty Springfield, Janis Joplin and Tina Turner. You also had Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell, Laura Nyro picking up that acoustic and doing there thing. Then some heavy hitters made the seen who wanted to Rock with the boys - Pat Benetar, Suzi Quatro, Runaways, Chrissy Hynde, Wilson Sisters (Heart), Debbie Harry and Wendy O from the Plasmatics which led to The GoGo's, Bangles, Banarama and then The Donna's and the lead singer from Evansence. And we also have to include Madonna and many others. And let's remember that the Disco scene was dominated by women starting with Donna Summer. We had the Lilith Fair ladies of 15 years ago. And in today's scene, women are once again leading the way in Pop music. There are so many others from every era that I can name.

So moving away from our personal prejudices, who is where in the upper tier of ladies that roared?

I fully expect to ladies of this forum to be making some noise hear. Were their any singers who influenced them in some form or another.

What say you all?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Women in Rock and Roll & Popular Music

Most of you know my opinions on this subject.

Tina Turner is my Queen of RnR. But the Runaways are so special to me. They wore leather and lace and then could kick your azz after they out drank you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Martha Davis was always one of my favorites, who was "The Motels" with different backup people. Great voice and nice songwriter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Women in Rock and Roll & Popular Music:
    Martha Davis was always one of my favorites, who was "The Motels" with different backup people. Great voice and nice songwriter.
    Posted by MikeNagy

There were a lot of young ladies leading the boys back in those 80's New Wave bands.

When people talk about Lady Gaga, I always like to bring up Dale Bozio from Missing Persons.

Now someone tell me again how Lady Gaga did not rip Dale off when it comes to stage appearance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Can't forget Siouxsie Sioux & The Banshees and Kate Bush, plus one of the best (and best-named) punk acts ever, The Slits.

From the 80s, 90s and beyond, some of my fave rocker girls:

Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)
    Kim Deal (Pixies) and Kelley Deal (Breeders)
    Tanya Donnelly (Throwing Muses, Belly [both way overlooked])
    Kristin Hersh (Muses, solo)
    Tori Amos (I had a HUGE crush on Tori, a virtuoso musician/songwriter with a deliciously twisted side.)
    Juliana Hatfield
    Ani DiFranco (so very original and independent)
    PJ Harvey ("Rid Of Me" is an all-time classic - one of the best of the 90s)
    Liz Phair (ditto "Exile In Guyville")
    L7
    Luscious Jackson
    Victoria Williams
    Sleater-Kinney
    Elastica
    Kay Hanley (Letters To Cleo)
    Cat Power
    Georgia Hubley (Yo La Tengo)
    Shirley Manson (Garbage)

And I've always had a soft spot for certain exquisite female voices: Sandy Denny, Nicolette Larson, and Alison Krauss come to mind first.  I'm not much of a country fan, but Krauss in particular never fails to make me weak at the knees.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The women who paved the way for all the rest were:

Grace Slick
    Linda Ronstadt
    Joni Mitchell
    Carole King
    Pat Benatar
    The Wilson sisters
    Tina Turner
    Mama Cass
    Janice Joplin
    Aretha Franklin

Not all of these were rockers, but they set the table for all the others.

Alot of respect for Grace Slick and Joni Mithcell, because they were the first of the women who wrote great songs and preformed them also, while Carole King was mostly writing great songs for others more often than for herself.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: Women in Rock and Roll & Popular Music : There were a lot of young ladies leading the boys back in those 80's New Wave bands. When people talk about Lady Gaga, I always like to bring up Dale Bozio from Missing Persons . Now someone tell me again how Lady Gaga did not rip Dale off when it comes to stage appearance.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Missing Persons were interesting. They were musicians who played with Frank Zappa (Dale & Terri Bozzio, Warren Cuccurullo) before creating their own band - check out The Torture Never Stops, among others. She was also a Playboy bunny. I always thought their videos were cool, and agree that gaga rips her off, at least in appearance. Since I've never heard gaga's music I can't comment on further similarities. Dale was born here in Boston, btw.

I'll add Natalie Merchant, though not all of her stuff, but TigerLilly was pretty good. Also k.d. Lang, who started out singing backup for Roy Orbison. The disc All You Can Eat is excellent, and I think she won a grammy for that. Sarah McLaughlin's early stuff is among my favorites, especially Solace and Fumbling Towards Ecstasy...her voice is like gourmet hot chocolate, although some of her more recent stuff can be a bit sappy. The Indigo Girls had some catchy tunes, great harmony on songs like Galileo, but I never bought any of their stuff. And Sinead O'Connor too, before she became so political. I've always liked Joni Mitchell (who at one point had Pat Metheny Group as her backup band) and Ricki Lee Jones, but Ricki is kind of hit or miss. Some of it's really good, while some of it, like Ghostyhead, her attempt at trip-hop, I find unlistenable. Outside of the realm of rock I like Diana Krall, a jazz vocalist who is married to Elvis Costello, and Oleta Adams, who was discovered by Tears for Fears and is awesome on the Sowing the Seeds of Love disc. Her solo stuff is more soul/r&b, but man, she's got some serious pipes.

Growing up I liked Heart and some Stevie Nicks, though much of it was beaten to death by the radio. I'm sure I've left out some, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Ah, yes of course, Carole King, one of the most successful songwriters ever. From Wikipedia -- She holds the record for the longest time for an album by a female to remain on the charts and the longest time for an album by a female to hold the #1 position, both for Tapestry.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KathyVT. Show KathyVT's posts

Stevie Nicks is who I like the most. My oldest daughter is named Sara, after the Fleetwood Mac song.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

I'll add Annie Lennox - phenomenal voice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Okay - so we are all throwing around names of various artists - fine. But let's discuss it.

Who should be credited for what? Who's voice is that of an angel? Who has the songwriting chops?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Okay - so we are all throwing around names of various artists - fine. But let's discuss it. Who should be credited for what? Who's voice is that of an angel? Who has the songwriting chops?
    Posted by jesseyeric

I have never heard a real angel sing. Nor have I heard Satan sing , I am told he does not stay where music is.

But, as songwriters , I like Joni Mitchell and Grace Slick about the best.

As singers , I have always had a great love for Linda Ronstadt's voice, but Martha Davis (Motels) and Johnette Napolitano ( Concrete Blonde) are a few of the voices from later on that I really liked. You can put Debbie Harry in there too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

I have more a jazz background and for me Eartha Kitt has the sexiest voice ever. Betty Carter is another favorite and sang with a number of backing bands and was fabulous with all of them. Billie Holliday had the voice of an angel while living a devilish lifestyle.

In rock-n-roll one of my favorites is Chrissie Hynde; something about her attitude and her voice just does it for me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

As a Canuck I'm very proud of all the Canadian women in the world of rock and pop.  To start with the obvious ones:

Joni Mitchell
    Celine Dion
    Shania Twain
    Sarah McLachlan (from my hometown of Halifax, NS)
    Anne Murrray (from not far away in Springhill, NS)
    Alannis Morrisette
    K D Lang

And some not so well known:

Sass Jordan and Darby Mills - a couple of 'ballsy' rockers with powerful pipes
    Lee Aaron - our Canadian Metal Queen
    Ellen Reid - from the Crash Test Dummies.  She can be heard on backing vocals in their big hit, the 'Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm' song, and she did a very nice lead vocal on their remake of XTC's 'Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead'.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Can't forget Carly Simon...one of the great female vocalists I would say.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I've always thought Natalie Merchant was fantastic. She has such a terrific vocal range.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

As far as songwriting, my votes go to Joni and Carole King. Extra points for playing an instrument as well as their vocals and writing. For voice alone in pop, Sarah McLachlan is the one who turns my knees to butter. For jazz/blues, Renee Olstead is just incredible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnb9FxuA4zE

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Cant believe Joan Jett is not getting any love here.

Starting with the Runaways she helped pave the way for all women in hard rock.

She puts on a kick a** show, and she even out acted Michael J Fox in the movie Light of Day.

Not to mention she was pretty hot back in the day.

One of the sadder things about women in music today is when you think about the likes of Lady Gaga( who I hate I admit it) and a Katy Perry is do you think about them for the music, or for the what they look like.

Yes Stevie Nicks was a hot women But when I think about Nicks I still think about her music first, I blame Madonna for this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

Shim, I got to say, as a former musician, metal head and someone who is generally not comfortable with the likes of Britney Spears or even Madonna, I have to give Gaga props. From what I can tell she is involved in the writing of her own songs and the songs are good quality. They have all pretty well managed to catch my attention. I would put her up there with some of the other women listed. What I find amuzing is that that people have failed to catch onto the clear irony of most of her lyrics. This woman would fit easily into the punk or folk tradition.

I've mentioned this before but take a song like let's dance. It is viewed as a celebration of excess and getting wasted at a dance club. If you really listen, it is a commentary on it, not a celebration. I think it just shows how far off the rails our culture has gone, when a woman sings about losing her clothes, her phone, and not being able to stand up at a dance club cause she is to drunk, and everyone views it as a celerbation of club culture. The woman is talking about getting raped at a dance club people.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I have a 14-year old daughter so I get to listen to a lot of the Lady Gaga and Katy Perry stuff.  At first I couldn't stand it but as time goes on I find I do enjoy some of it and I find some musical merit, even some interesting things developing.  One thing that's very noticeable is the large number of songs using male and female vocals responding to each other. Such as If We Ever Meet Again by Timbaland/Katy Perry, and Love the Way You Lie by Eminem/Rihanna.  Not that it's anything new, but it's really being used extensively, and pretty effectively in a lot of cases.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

I noticed duets came back into fashion big time somewhere in the mid aughts. Nothing wrong with it as an approach. Collaborative vocalizing is pretty common these days, especially in hip hop. I have no problem with it as a technique, but I have noticed a trend toward very unfocused lyrics as a result. To me, good lyrics and good poetry, revolve around a focused concept. When it becomes a hodgepodghe of unrelated ideas or experience, I lose interest.

One thing I can't stand about modern lyrics (except in a few cases where it is done well--say by eminem), is people just using up time to boast about who they are or what they are about.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think maybe Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac takes a very unfair backseat to Stevie Nicks. She wrote and sang many of their biggest hits.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

IMO, the best voices ever belonged to Patsy Cline and Aretha. My songwriting props go out to Carole King. My current fave lady singer is Sharon Jones of Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think maybe Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac takes a very unfair backseat to Stevie Nicks. She wrote and sang many of their biggest hits.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Those two made an interesting contrast in voices and styles.  McVie's voice was sweet-sounding and clear, whereas Nicks' was more twangy and affected.  But they were both very good in their own way.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Cant believe Joan Jett is not getting any love here. Starting with the Runaways she helped pave the way for all women in hard rock. She puts on a kick a** show, and she even out acted Michael J Fox in the movie Light of Day. Not to mention she was pretty hot back in the day. One of the sadder things about women in music today is when you think about the likes of Lady Gaga( who I hate I admit it) and a Katy Perry is do you think about them for the music, or for the what they look like. Yes Stevie Nicks was a hot women But when I think about Nicks I still think about her music first, I blame Madonna for this.
    Posted by shumirules

Absolutely! I thought I was the only person who saw this movie. She was fantastic, and it makes me wonder why she didn't do more movies.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Women in Rock and Roll & Popular Music : Absolutely! I thought I was the only person who saw this movie. She was fantastic, and it makes me wonder why she didn't do more movies.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Saw it as well. To me, Joan is the Princess of all rock and roll.

Sections
Shortcuts