Women in Rock and Roll & Popular Music

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Women in Rock and Roll & Popular Music

In Response to Re: Women in Rock and Roll & Popular Music:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Women in Rock and Roll & Popular Music : Saw it as well. To me, Joan is the Princess of all rock and roll.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
     Joan Jett rocked for sure. She was the female version of johnny rotten wasn't she?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Women in Rock and Roll & Popular Music :  Joan Jett rocked for sure. She was the female version of johnny rotten wasn't she?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Joan Jett was hardly the female Johnny Rotten.
    She was part of the Runaways. One of if not the 1st all girl group that played hard rock..  Joan was never punk however.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Just a little girl from metro-Boston who used to love to take the T into Harvard Square, Brookline and Boston to look at music (when music was sold in brick and mortar stores) with my friends and who used to sit at home with head phones on with music blaring so it would not disturb others in my family! 

Briefly, to pay a little respect to some women that were on the vanguard, in terms of having the talent, persistence and ability to survive as a woman in the music industry, and paving the way a bit:
    Billie Holiday -  heart-breaking life, made her mark
    Lena Horne -  singer, actor, dancer, broadway, activist, the list goes on. 
    Joni Mitchell - one of the brilliant musicians of the 20th century
    many others previously mentioned.

Went a little crazy over the Go-Gos and the Bangles.  What girl didn't?

Women in alternative voice were the ones who really got me going, I have to admit, perhaps more than some of the more "classic" types in rock.  Artists that I love(d) and also made an impact on me and I believe in the music scene in general:  (no particular order)
    Bjork
    Liz Phair
    Juliana Hatfield
    PJ Harvey
    Siouxsie Sious (and the Banshees)
    Aimee Mann
    Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star)
    Tori Amos
    Alanis Morissette (sometimes I think she is under-rated)
    Tanya Donelly (Throwing Muses)

Shock Rock: Wendy O Williams, of course!

Most admired and most loved?  Sarah McLachlan.

Grand lady : Annie Lennox.   (and I love(d) her androgynous looks)

ps for outside of rock, and I might be the only person here who mentions her, Mary Chapin Carpenter is a brilliant singer/songwriter, two of her songs are among my favorite songs of all time.  Along with Alison Krauss, the songbird.   Eva Cassidy.  Maura O'Connell. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Women in Rock and Roll & Popular Music : Joan Jett was hardly the female Johnny Rotten. She was part of the Runaways. One of if not the 1st all girl group that played hard rock..  Joan was never punk however.  
    Posted by shumirules[/QUOTE]

Right you are.

Joan Jett was more like the female version of Billy Idol than Johnny Rotten. Dressed like a punk , usually singing the heavy, hard Rock song (not really Metal, though, but somewhat close).

I would say the closest thing to a female Johnny Rotten was Wendy O. Williams of the Plasmatics. Another short -lived band that existed more on shock and visual than on musical prowess. I loved them anyway because they weren't like anything else out there, they took chances instead of trying to be copycats ( plus, Wendy O. Williams -initials W.O.W. was no joke, she did a few nude scenes in one of those old "women in prison" B-movies...not that I ever watch that stuff mind you)...Smile(...she had a body that was absolutley incredible, but that's irrelevant to most of you, I'm sure. So if we are to speak of "women in Rock 'n Roll and Popular music" based on a killer body...I vote Wendy O.Williams).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]) And I've always had a soft spot for certain exquisite female voices: Sandy Denny, Nicolette Larson, and Alison Krauss come to mind first.  I'm not much of a country fan, but Krauss in particular never fails to make me weak at the knees.
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

Hear, hear for Alison Krauss! I love her voice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]I think maybe Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac takes a very unfair backseat to Stevie Nicks. She wrote and sang many of their biggest hits.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Christine McVie is my favorite singer in Fleetwood Mac.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Popular music is mentioned in this headline, I agree with  all the greats from the 60's, 70's, 80's and up, lots of great great names mentioned. Now I'm sure I'll get beat up for this and I don't recall seeing her name listed yet. I have no idea if she writes any of her songs or if they are all just given to her. IMHO she only has a couple of songs that are considered good, But I'm going on shear voice, pure chops here, to me Christina Aguilera voice is hard to beat.

I saw her on some show I think it might have been the Grammy's where she did this Jazz old school bit, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Too bad her voice is wasted on the wishy washy pop she puts out.      

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Popular music is mentioned in this headline, I agree with  all the greats from the 60's, 70's, 80's and up, lots of great great names mentioned. Now I'm sure I'll get beat up for this and I don't recall seeing her name listed yet. I have no idea if she writes any of her songs or if they are all just given to her. IMHO she only has a couple of songs that are considered good, But I'm going on shear voice, pure chops hear, to me Christina Aguilera voice is hard to beat. I saw her on some show I think it might have been the Grammy's where she did this Jazz old school bit, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Too bad her voice is wasted on the wishy washy pop she puts out.      
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

By the same token, Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas has a very impressive voice.  I did not know this until I saw her doing Gimme Shelter with Mick Jagger at the R N R Hall of Fame Concert.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Writes, sings, plays a mean guitar.
    Bonnie Raitt, anyone?
    Sheesh!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

How did we miss that?

Excellent ab

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Another name that should be mentioned is Jennifer Warnes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Xene Cervenka and Kim Deal...tops

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Women in Rock and Roll & Popular Music : Hear, hear for Alison Krauss! I love her voice.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

I first heard her way back on Phish's Picture Of Nectar album when she was still a young'en - the vocal duet with Alison and Trey on "If I Could". 

Great track, great voice.

Plus, more props for Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Blonde - one of my favorite bands of the early 90s...she positively purrs on "Mexican Moon" (en espanol too)...!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Since we are running the full lineup of female rockers, I would like to also mention Suzanne Vega and also a not so well known , but very good group from a few years back , Throwing Muses ( 3 females with a male drummer). Also another favorite of mine, Tracy Chapman.