Worst album / Favorite artist(s)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Worst album / Favorite artist(s)

What would you rank as the worst album of your favorite artist(s)?

Now, this might not mean the album is complete rubbish, it just means it's your least favorite.  

Then again, it might mean it really is complete rubbish; you're the judge. 

Have you followed a favorite band member into a solo career, or maybe into a new band,  and found the solo career or new band albums deteriorated in quality (or again, perhaps were or are garbage) and were disappointments?

Who blew it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

Re: Worst album / Favorite artist(s)

Born in the usa - springstein -- sell out album -- title song is great and a couple others but i really think he sold out to make it into the mainstream

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Must you, yogafriend?Smile

Blue Oyster Cult's 'Club Ninja' album was a truly embarrassing effort.  Half the album was COVER SONGS including tripe like 'Make Rock Not War' and 'Beat 'Em Up'.  I shudder at the thought of it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Worst album / Favorite artist(s):
    [QUOTE]Must you, yogafriend?
    Blue Oyster Cult's 'Club Ninja' album was a truly embarrassing effort.  Half the album was COVER SONGS including tripe like 'Make Rock Not War' and 'Beat 'Em Up'.  I shudder at the thought of it.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]The first step in getting out of denial is to admit that even the most sacred rock gods are not perfect.

You're on your way, Hfx.   :D

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst album / Favorite artist(s) : The first step in getting out of denial is to admit that even the most sacred rock gods are not perfect. You're on your way, Hfx.   :D
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

LOL when I think about it all of my rock gods have had their falls.  But in a way their failures only point out how wonderful their successes were.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I can't share HF's disgust with Club Ninja, I personally am a big BOC fan and think 'Mirrors' is a weaker effort , although not totally putrid.

I have very few complete albums that I really hate. But McCartney and Wings ,although not one of my real big favorites,, had a couple of very, very poor efforts with 'Wildlife' ( one of their early stinkers ) and 'Wings at the Speed of Sound' ( which is somewhat salvaged by 'Beware My Love'...the rest of the songs kind of stink, including the two singles 'Let 'em In and 'Silly Love Songs').

The Who had few LP's after Moon's death that were kind of uneven, not because of Kenny however, the writing was a little lacklustre. But I still own them and they are not horrible.

George Harrison got a little carried away with the Hari Krishna stuff around the 'Dark Horse' period. I can't say the albums are awful, but a few of the songs are easy to skip over.

'Technical Ecstasy' by  Black Sabbath is not great. Certainly not up to their standards.

Many of the Dylan albums around the late 70's start to show some weakness and I think many are not great efforts.

Rod Stewart was never a favorite, but his early songs are real good, but he tried to become a sort of Disco rocker and this did not work in my estimation.

Neil Young has always been an experimental artist , trying new things. Some of these work brilliantly ( Rust Never Sleeps) others not so good ( Everybody's Rockin'), but I always give Neil credit for not just selling us the same old cr@p....he truly pushes the envelope of rock and usually delivers quality.

The Stones never really put out a "bad" LP. Even the lesser known LPs always have some great moments, often just about the time you write them off, they bounce back with something real brilliant, (Tatoo You, Some Girls, Steel Wheels). But I really can't say there is too much memorable on their last two studio LP's ( Bridges to Babylon, A Bigger Bang).

All in all, very few of the great groups of Rock have ever greatly disappointed me. I am a hopelessly addicted fan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

By the way, I want to take this opportunity to give a big 'thank you' to yogafriend for starting some terrific threads and sort of carrying the ball while many of us baseball nuts are spending much time on 'Front Burner' trying to solve the problems of our Red Sox.

Keep up the good work! Your trivia contest attempts may be as futile as most of mine, but they are always entertaining and fun.

This thread was another good one , and I enjoyed adding my feedback as well as reading what others think.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yes, yogafriend, let me also add my thanks for your continuing good work at setting up interesting threads.  I have an idea for one that I think will be fun (for me anyway) but in my typical fashion I've been pondering on it for too long.  Just about there though. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I was never any great fan of Peter Frampton, but you simply couldn't get away from Frampton Comes Alive when I was a kid, and if if I didn't think it was quite so iconic as some people, I certainly do think the follow up, I'm in You, was beyond putrid and thankfully sent Mr. Frampton on his merry way . . .   never (well . . .   not very much, at any rate) to be heard from again.

As for personal favorites, I'd have to agree with luke about Born in the USA. I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. But, ultimately, FM disc jockeys of the time --  and that damnable MTV -- simply wouldn't let me like it. I commend Bruce for generating a mountain of cash for his bandmates as he prepared to go off and play Woody Guthrie for a while, but he completely shattered my teenage illusions about him with Dancing in the Dark, and I have yet to forgive him for it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I understand why people have issues with Born in the USA, especially Dancing in the Dark, but I'm very fond of that album.  Maybe it's because I saw Springsteen live twice while he was touring the album.  My favorite songs are the secondary tracks, Cover Me, Downbound Train, No Surrender and Bobby Jean. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Cut the Crap by the Clash. There was no need of making this album in hindsight. no Mick Jones so is it really the Calsh? The catchy This is England was a decent number but overall one bad effort after such brilliant music previously (yes I liked Sandinista Smile)

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Not a big fan of Presence by Led Zep

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

[QUOTE]Not a big fan of Presence by Led Zep
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

That was the first album that came to mind for me.

Another huge disappointment was when Neil Young finely reunited with CSN and they came out with "American Dream".  What a piece of crap that was.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Rolling Stones - Under Cover
    Def Leppard - Adrenalize

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

A couple of my favorites artists had albums that were not up to par for me, releative to their other albums (not garbage, however):

Sarah McLachlan -  Afterglow
    Annie Lennox - Bare

... and thank you, Zilla and Hfx!  :)   Seriously!   I'm sure you bring the same zeal to the baseball forums that you bring here, but it has not been lost on me that once baseball season started, the problems of baseball took over your attention.   As for me, I get more than I give, believe me.  Learning, having fun, and talking about music with smart engaging people?  No brainer.  PS  I loved playing guessing games as a kid, and the trivia (rock history?) quizzes are my adult continuation of that part of my personality.   Thanks again.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

pink floyd - a momentary lapse of reason

damn right it was

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

(tie) ReAcTor / Trans - Neil Young (though as greg said, more of a fu to david geffen)

The Final Cut - Pink Floyd (more of a waters solo, but it would be his worst, too.) [@ph - yes, even worse than AMLoR and TDB, which is saying something]

Surrender To The Air - Trey Anastasio (I like improv jazz, but this one is pretty rough.)

Metal Machine Music - Lou Reed (perhaps the blueprint for why some experimental music should stay that way)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]pink floyd - a momentary lapse of reason damn right it was
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Barely redeemed by Learning To Fly and Sorrow, pretty much a Gilmour solo record.  And re: The Final Cut...neither is worthy of the pink floyd moniker, IMO.

All that said, I was happy to see Floyd 2.0 live when I had the chance in '88 and '94; both memorable shows in spite of themselves.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

John Lennon - Two Virgins ...
    ...too much

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

[QUOTE]John Lennon - Two Virgins ... ...too much
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Are we talking about the album cover or the actual content?  lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It's interesting how I can agree with some of these choices and disagree with others.

It just shows how we all have our own taste.

I must agree with 'I'm in You' by Frampton being almost unlistenable, ditto Love Beach by ELP.

However, I have found the Two Pink Floyd LP's 'Momentary Lapse Of Reason' and ' The Final Cut' have grown on me with repeated playings. To the point where I actually have become a fan of 'The Final Cut.' Surely not as great as 'The Wall', 'Wish You Were Here' , 'Dark Side Of The Moon' or 'Animals', but not bad.

I also like 'Big Generator' by Yes...certainly far from their best , and because I am such a huge Deep Purple fan , I do like 'Come Taste the Band' ...although I would listen to the LP's with Ritchie Blackmore or Steve Morse before this sort of "mediocre" effort.

Also, I'd like to add,of the later David Bowie albums none are as great as the "ziggy" and "thin white duke" era stuff but one stands out as being pretty awful, "The Buddha of Suburbia" I think this was a soundtrack and I can only hope if it was, that the movie was better than the music.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I'm with ya on Final Cut, but I liked it from the gitgo. Interesting title, as it most certainly was
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

I have found over time that there are some albums that grab you right away and others that require repeated listenings.

Back in Black by AC/DC ,the first Cars LP and the first Van Halen LP were just awesome right off and still have not worn thin after all these years.

I actually wasn't overly impressed with the Beatles 'White Album' on first listen. although I did like the various styles that were all thrown into one LP. Later I really started to like everything except 'Revolution #9' which gets old pretty fast.

Sections
Shortcuts