Worst cover song of all time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Worst cover song of all time

That's the latest poll on RollingStone.com. Anybody have any thoughts?

Me, I've always thought Aerosmith's version of "Come Together" is about as bad as bad can get.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Worst cover song of all time

Agree with you Lloyd, Tyler's take on that song is an abomination.  (I blame Tyler for anything bad Aerosmith does.) 

Staying with 'high-profile' covers, The Rolling Stones cover of 'Like A Rolling Stone' ranks up there too.  It comes off as cheesy, to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

They do a poll every five minutes at RS, don't they?  :D   

Sweet Child O' Mine - Sheryl Crow 
    Purple Haze - The Cure (don't flame me)
    The First Cut is the Deepest - Sheryl Crow (correct assumption: I don't like her) :D

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting - Nickelback & Kid Rock

OK it's actually not that bad.  Pretty hard to do a bad version of this song.  The thing is, it really didn't need to be done.  Especially by these bozos.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I should point out the obvious: We're excluding everything Michael Bolton has ever done, otherwise it would dominante this entire thread.

Oh, Rod Stewart's "Have I Told You Lately." Sickening.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

first one that popped into my head was aerosmith's come together.

anyone else remember what limp bizkit did to george michael?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJBkgoQNZ1w

ouch

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

You Can't Hurry Love by Phil Collins (or anything by Phil Collins other than "In the Air Tonight")

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Worst cover song of all time:
    [QUOTE]I should point out the obvious: We're excluding everything Michael Bolton has ever done, otherwise it would dominante this entire thread. Oh, Rod Stewart's "Have I Told You Lately." Sickening.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Rod has spent the last 30+ years of his life defiling songs and women everywhere.  There needs to be a special place in Purgatory for that guy to atone for his sins.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst cover song of all time : Rod has spent the last 30+ years of his life defiling songs and women everywhere.  There needs to be a special place in Purgatory for that guy to atone for his sins.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    Wow, I could not agree more. "Every Picture Tells a Story" is a fantastic album, but just about everything thing he has done since is dreadful.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Lloyd, thanks for starting this thread.  I'm enjoying getting in my rips at a few people, as you can probably tell.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Hotel California by the Gypsy Kings.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

Was never a big fan of James Taylors cover of Buddy Holly's "Everyday" or "Day Tripper".
    But, Pat Boone seems to have a special place in music history of being able to destroy a song in such a way it's just comical.  Never did hear his heavy metal covers nor do I want to.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

'Venus' by Bananarama...well actually, there's a catch to that one, because the video they did for it is pretty hot with a gal dressed in a tight, bright-red devil suit...but I digress.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

also, mrs. robinson by pennywise. pennywise ruined so many songs with their "punk covers"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Madonna - American Pie

Atrocious.  And I don't even like the original to begin with.

Add:

Lenny Kravitz - American Woman (ugh...)
    Counting Crows - Big Yellow Taxi (i like them, but this was ill-advised)
    U2 - Helter Skelter (a tough song to cover even on a good day, but they blew chunks here)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]also, mrs. robinson by pennywise. pennywise ruined so many songs with their "punk covers"
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

ironically or not, the lemonheads' version is one of my all-time greats.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The version of American Woman by Kravitz is brutal...definitely a contender for worst cover ever.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Was never a big fan of James Taylors cover of Buddy Holly's "Everyday" or "Day Tripper". But, Pat Boone seems to have a special place in music history of being able to destroy a song in such a way it's just comical.  Never did hear his heavy metal covers nor do I want to.
    Posted by AGUY1[/QUOTE]
    James Taylor -- now he's a singer whose appeal I don't understand at all.  The most nasal voice I've ever heard.  If there's nostalgia for his early work, okay, I get that, but his voice grates.  He's toast.  
    As for another cover song he did: "How Sweet It Is (to be loved by you)" -- why did he even bother?  :D

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

oh yogi dear, if i recall correctly you once called that nasally man's voice "pure honey" :)

hmmmmm...i smell sarcasm!

@matty, haven't heard the lemonhead's version. i'll have to check it out. maybe after i listen, if i can talk, i'll tell you :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]oh yogi dear, if i recall correctly you once called that nasally man's voice "pure honey" :) hmmmmm...i smell sarcasm! @matty, haven't heard the lemonhead's version. i'll have to check it out. maybe after i listen, if i can talk, i'll tell you :)
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    oh, ph, m'love -- I hope you're being sarcastic, because if you can find any evidence I ever said that, I will plead that either I was being sarcastic, or was perhaps under the influence.   JT's voice can only be improved with a sinus operation.  :D    Agreed?  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Madonna - American Pie Atrocious.  And I don't even like the original to begin with. Add: Lenny Kravitz - American Woman (ugh...) Counting Crows - Big Yellow Taxi (i like them, but this was ill-advised) U2 - Helter Skelter (a tough song to cover even on a good day, but they blew chunks here)
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    Oh my god yes ... a steaming pile of dung, to be sure.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

William Shatner "Rocket Man"

And could not agree more on U2's version of Helter Skelter! Awful.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i just remembered after thinking for 5 minutes that you said "pure honey" about Eric in the Evening.  my apologies! :)

i've always thought his voice was effortless, and he had much more range than he let on.  there's one part in particular in "your smiling face" where he does a perfect jump to falsetto mid-note on ONLY one time he says "no one can tell me that I'm..." and it always got me why he didn't do stuff like that more often.

my father used to play JT and steely dan every sunday morning and during a lot of car rides, so it has a nostalgic quality to me as well.  can't say i don't like him :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

oasis also ruined helter skelter for me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I don't know about worst ever, but yeah, Big Yellow Taxi was pretty bad. It's an interesting phenomena, because I generally like Counting Crows, but they mangled Van Morrison's Caravan to a fare-thee-well, too.

I guess the one that really rankles me more than any other is Waylon Jennings' version of McArthur Park; not because he doesn't do a passable job with the song (he does) but . . .   why on earth?