Worst Remake Ever

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Worst Remake Ever

As an add-on to Jay's thread. What is the absolute worst remake?

Mariah Carey - Bringing on the Heartbreak (Def Leppard Track)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Re: Worst Remake Ever

Counting Crows - Big Yellow Taxi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

There are a few but this has to be no. 1 IMO. Lucy in the sky with diamonds-William Shatner. It might be Leonard Nimoy but I think it's Shatner.The Elton John remake wasn't so good and niether was the Hooters version. I live in Philly and never liked them and the only reason they(Hooters) were popular on Philly stations was because they are from this area. I'm bias being a Beatles fan but I just think it's one that can never be re-done. Just like certain movies I hope they never remake. Gone with the wind, The Godfather, Casablanca, On the Waterfront, Some like it hot, Blazing Sadles etc... (Big Mel Brooks fan) Metallica's version of "Turn the page" is pretty bad. Nobody can do that like Bob. I know there's more but those two stand out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: Worst Remake Ever:
    There are a few but this has to be no. 1 IMO. Lucy in the sky with diamonds-William Shatner. It might be Leonard Nimoy but I think it's Shatner.The Elton John remake wasn't so good and niether was the Hooters version. I live in Philly and never liked them and the only reason they(Hooters) were popular on Philly stations was because they are from this area. I'm bias being a Beatles fan but I just think it's one that can never be re-done. Just like certain movies I hope they never remake. Gone with the wind, The Godfather, Casablanca, On the Waterfront, Some like it hot, Blazing Sadles etc... (Big Mel Brooks fan) Metallica's version of "Turn the page" is pretty bad. Nobody can do that like Bob. I know there's more but those two stand out.
    Posted by jaytf25

Oh, my GOD. It is definitely Shatner, and I thought I had buried that forever. It's not even really singing, iirc, he speaks it, like a poem. Believe it or not, he also does a cover of Rocket Man, in the same vein, but I don't think it ever made it to vinyl.

There really are so many; this is a great topic.

Celine Dion doing You Shook Me?...there should be a law.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Posted by jaytf25

Thank you very much for bringing back such a painful memory.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

While not the absolute worst remake *ever*,  Sheryl Crow did a terrible remake of
    "The First Cut is the Deepest"  (popularized by Rod Stewart, but I guess written by Cat Stevens?)    Horrible.  ugh. 

Should prob add Crow to the "hated" list ... although maybe she doesn't even count as rock ... so horrible.   Her popularity has always escaped me. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

While not the absolute worst remake *ever*,  Sheryl Crow did a terrible remake of "The First Cut is the Deepest"  (popularized by Rod Stewart, but I guess written by Cat Stevens?)    Horrible.  ugh.  Should prob add Crow to the "hated" list ... although maybe she doesn't even count as rock ... so horrible.   Her popularity has always escaped me. 
    Posted by yogafriend

She also covered Sweet Child O' Mine, which bites sweaty donkey balls too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What Devo did to Satsifaction struck me as innovative the very first time I heard it.

Then I came to my senses.

I'm sure it's not anywhere near the "worst ever," but still . . .   it's pretty bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Worst Remake Ever : Oh, my GOD. It is definitely Shatner, and I thought I had buried that forever. It's not even really singing, iirc, he speaks it, like a poem. Believe it or not, he also does a cover of Rocket Man, in the same vein, but I don't think it ever made it to vinyl. There really are so many; this is a great topic. Celine Dion doing You Shook Me?...there should be a law.
    Posted by softwareDevMusician

Stewie Griffin did this on Family Guy and it was actually pretty hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=891CBnRQlrk&feature=related

I knew McFarlane must have stolen that from somewhere. That guy never had an original idea in his head.

And, of course, Googling that clip also led me to the Shatner clip . . .

if you dare . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hARDXYz2io&feature=related

I also found a video of Leonard Nimoy singing something called The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins, but I'm going to spare you all that. I've done enough damage for one day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I admit: I like the Shatner and Nimoy stuff I've heard, not as songs but simply campy fun. You can't help but laugh when you here it.

Worst remake: Mariah Carey' doing "Without You." The Nilsson version is the best, and I even like Badfinger's original version. It has a neat raw sound.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

One of my least favorite remakes was named someone else's favorite in that other thread.  Sorry!  It's rare that an artist doesn't improve a Dylan tune,  but Guns and Roses failed with their over blown, cliche-ridden cover of "Knockin on Heavens Door".

The Lemon Heads did nothing to their Simon and Garfunkel cover,  except trade acoustic guitars for electric.  I never saw the point of a note-for-note remake.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think the songs by Shatner and Nimoy were lame attempts by some corporate idiot to capitalize on the success of Star Trek. But , actually it worked as many trekkies ( or trekkers, as we prefer) have the CD in their collection as a Star Trek collectible....not to actually listen to.

I own it myself as I am a huge Star Trek fan. Shatner and Nimoy are extremely good actors, ha dit not been for Star Trek , they would have been successful anyway. Just not as singers.

The remakes or covers that are horrid to repulsive are almost reaching the infinite stage.

The Supertramp album "Breakfast in America" has about 3 or 4 tracks that have been remade....all done very poorly , in my opinion. Almost every Beatles song that has been redone has paled next to the originals.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I think Fiona Apple did a very unmemorable version of "Across the Universe".

There are certain songs that should never be remade and that was one of them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Just remembered. Now it really isn't that bad a cover and in fact, most people think that it is the original version since the writer of this tune was a founding member of Bad Company.

Ready for Love was originally recorded by Mott The Hoople and appears on the album "All The Young Dudes". ( I think). Motts version is a hundred times better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

I just remembered another that I could do without. I hate to mention it because their hearts were in the right place,  but their version seems to have replaced the far superior original, and that's just wrong.  Sorry Blues Brothers,  even though ou borrowed the MG's you didn't quite pull it off.  Sam and Dave's 'Soul Man' is the only version anyone needs. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I second the aforementioned Counting Crows, Sheryl Crow and GnR's cover of Dylan (although "Live and Let Die" and "Mama Kin" both rocked)

Also not too fond of these:

"Another Brick In The Wall" - Korn
    "Battle Of Evermore" - The Lovemongers (i.e. the Wilson sisters)
    "Sisters Of Mercy" - Sting (even with The Chieftains, he butchers this song)
    "Suspicious Minds" - Fine Young Cannibals (so wrong...)
    "Faith" - Limp Bizkit

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Just remembered. Now it really isn't that bad a cover and in fact, most people think that it is the original version since the writer of this tune was a founding member of Bad Company. Ready for Love was originally recorded by Mott The Hoople and appears on the album "All The Young Dudes". ( I think). Motts version is a hundred times better.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Yes, Mott's version of that song is great.  That was a nice discovery when I bought a double-CD Mott compilation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I admit: I like the Shatner and Nimoy stuff I've heard, not as songs but simply campy fun. You can't help but laugh when you here it. Worst remake: Mariah Carey' doing "Without You." The Nilsson version is the best, and I even like Badfinger's original version. It has a neat raw sound.
    Posted by royf19

"Newspaper taxis, appear on the shoreeeeeeeeeeeeeee. waiting..... to take you ... awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...........................LOL. I agree Mariah's version stinks. Never knew Badfinger did the original. I'll kave to you tube it. Thanks for the info.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

psst - zg, I too am a trekker, but TNG.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I have to say,probably the worse remake of a song was done by 2 singers who I really like.During Live Aid,David Bowie and Mick Jagger teamed up to do the video for Martha and the Vandellas "Dancing in the streets".Horrible,horrorible,horrible.I was really disappointed that my favorite singers would get together and put out a video that sounded that bad.It was a great idea to team them up and do the video for a very good cause,but boy did it come up short.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I have to say,probably the worse remake of a song was done by 2 singers who I really like.During Live Aid,David Bowie and Mick Jagger teamed up to do the video for Martha and the Vandellas "Dancing in the streets".Horrible,horrorible,horrible.I was really disappointed that my favorite singers would get together and put out a video that sounded that bad.It was a great idea to team them up and do the video for a very good cause,but boy did it come up short.  
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Oh, my god, yes. I'd choose waterboarding over having to listen to it.

And I know many will disagree with this, but I also HATED Aerosmith's "Come Together."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Worst Remake Ever : Oh, my god, yes. I'd choose waterboarding over having to listen to it. And I know many will disagree with this, but I also HATED Aerosmith's "Come Together."
    Posted by LloydDobler

I won't disagree with it.  I hated it from the point I first heard Tyler sing 'groovin' up slow-LIE'...