Yes, there's an "official" song for the Olympics: Muse's "Survival"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Yes, there's an "official" song for the Olympics: Muse's "Survival"

One of the many official brandings for the Olympics: the song, "Survival" by Muse.  

Released on BBC radio in June, not sure if it was released in the USA (I've never heard it on any of our fine (cough) radio stations.  

Wish I could muster more enthusiasm for the Olympics -- this coming from someone who is truly into fitness and respects the off-the-charts talent and hard work that is required to make it; maybe I'll gather some enthusiasm in a day or two -- or three.  

Well, at least I'm not the only cynic about the song.  Here ya go:

"The Associated Press called the song "a thundering rock anthem".[4] NME columnist Mark Beaumont was perturbed that the band's latest track was "assimilated into something as annoying" as the Olympics. He continued that "'Survival' might be amongst the most ear-scorchingly, ar$e-burstingly, aneurysm-inducingly brilliant songs in Muse’s canon, but it’ll forever be deemed corny by its association with one long-past sporting event."[7] Adam Boult of The Guardian referred to the track as "a hilarious five-minute onslaught of camp, falling somewhere between QueenGloria Gaynor and a Monty Python sketch. Swelling strings, battle drums, ludicrous falsetto shrieking and chugga-chugga guitar channelling the Little Engine That Could. It's as insanely overblown as the Olympics themselves."[8] "

NOTE: BDC censored the word AR$E.  hahaha.

Here's the song:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Yes, there's an "official" song for the Olympics: Muse's "Survival"

Also, just to prepare you, in case you don't know, Sir Paul will be leading a sing-along of "Hey Jude" for the closing of the opening ceremony.

I know, I know.  

Not so sure the Olympics is the best place to get your groove on. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

yoga, you are the muse of this forum.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JM0N. Show JM0N's posts

Paul M. is a self-centered, selfish, self righteous,  money money money money egomaniac. He  made it clear to me that the Beatles were more than integral to him. Sure, he had commercial success without them. However, the majority of his solo work is trivial garbage pop music. Can you imagine getting upset that your name  isn't in front of Lennon's on the songwriter credits. Solid move move Paul.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I stopped watching the Summer Olympics when I reached an age of about 13. This is when I started to comprehend the absurdity of a 'Super Power' natiion competing against another 'Super Power' and everybody else. I was supposed to be happy when the ol' US of A prevailed vs. Lithuania in Tennis or Badminton? Ludicrous!!!, but, if we beat Russia in hockey....now this is really something to remember forever. Or is it?

My favorite Olympic moment was :

Right on, brothers!

I hate the biographies, the advertising, the fact that only events involving USA are televised, and the fact there is so little suspense. I mean does Portugal, Zimbabwe or Lichtenstein have much of a chance?  The USA basketball team ( Dream Team) is an NBA All Star team. Does a basketball team from the Netherlands really stand a chance of hanging with them through the 1st half?

Now , the Winter Olympics...I did continue to watch that right through teh 1990's. Really love to see downhill skiing and bobsledding.....it's quite a spectacle when they crash, too! I used to love the "thrill of victory and the agony of defeat" on he old Wide World of Sports. We had only 3 networks back in those days, yet we got to see downhill skiing. Now we have 200 channels of satellite and cable and we get Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, Jersey Shore and loads of cr@p, but no skiing or bobsledding, until the Winter Olympics.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Yes, there's an "official" song for the Olympics: Muse's "Survival":
    Paul M. is a self-centered, selfish, self righteous,  money money money money egomaniac. He  made it clear to me that the Beatles were more than integral to him. Sure, he had commercial success without them. However, the majority of his solo work is trivial garbage pop music. Can you imagine getting upset that your name  isn't in front of Lennon's on the songwriter credits. Solid move move Paul.
    Posted by JM0N

Did you intend this for the "Artists I can't stand that everyone else loves" thread?    It would be a good fit for that thread.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Zilla:
    I was hoping, really hoping for a rant: SPOT ON.  I might even print this one out to read over the next few weeks.  :D

I so agree.  There are events that are right up there with watching paint dry -- no wait, I'd rather watch paint dry, at least I can listen to my own music while the paint dries.  :D

Gold Medal awarded to your RANT.  :)  (and don't even get me started on Micheal Phelps ... does anyone even like him, or is he in the "someone everyone loves but you" thread, because I pushed the "dislike" button on him eons ago). 

I hate the biographies, the advertising, the fact that only events involving USA are televised, and the fact there is so little suspense. I mean does Portugal, Zimbabwe or Lichtenstein have much of a chance?  The USA basketball team ( Dream Team) is an NBA All Star team. Does a basketball team from the Netherlands really stand a chance of hanging with them through the 1st half? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I liked certain parts of the WInter Olympics opening ceremony in Vancouver a couple years ago.

The piece using Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" and the mad celtic fiddler-palooza were both pretty awe-inspiring.

The Brits have an embarrassment of riches to choose from on the music front.  I'll be curious to how they use it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Yes, there's an "official" song for the Olympics: Muse's "Survival":
    Zilla: I was hoping, really hoping for a rant: SPOT ON.  I might even print this one out to read over the next few weeks.  :D I so agree.  There are events that are right up there with watching paint dry -- no wait, I'd rather watch paint dry, at least I can listen to my own music while the paint dries.  :D Gold Medal awarded to your RANT.  :)  (and don't even get me started on Micheal Phelps ... does anyone even like him, or is he in the "someone everyone loves but you" thread, because I pushed the "dislike" button on him eons ago).  I hate the biographies, the advertising, the fact that only events involving USA are televised, and the fact there is so little suspense. I mean does Portugal, Zimbabwe or Lichtenstein have much of a chance?  The USA basketball team ( Dream Team) is an NBA All Star team. Does a basketball team from the Netherlands really stand a chance of hanging with them through the 1st half? 
    Posted by yogafriend

Due to time constraints, this was the "abridged" version.

I could easily "rant" for hours about "country vs. country sporting events" and the ridiculous advantage the USA has over 3rd world and other underfunded nations. The silly notion that the games were "sport" back during the cold war was almost laughable. The Soviets and Americans approached the games as if no other nations were participating and many times it seemed as if were true.

Canandians seem to take a different view of Olympic games. they consider ice hockey to be their game and even winning a silver medal is failure. They do not seem as upset if they don't win gold in any other sport.

I wouldn't walk across the street to see Michael Phelps swim. I used to love to swim, it's a great summer activity , but it is not a sport.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

The opening was the worst...........I put the movie MUNICH in and had myself an Olmpic history lesson.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Yes, there's an "official" song for the Olympics: Muse's "Survival" : Due to time constraints, this was the "abridged" version. I could easily "rant" for hours about "country vs. country sporting events" and the ridiculous advantage the USA has over 3rd world and other underfunded nations. The silly notion that the games were "sport" back during the cold war was almost laughable. The Soviets and Americans approached the games as if no other nations were participating and many times it seemed as if were true. Canandians seem to take a different view of Olympic games. they consider ice hockey to be their game and even winning a silver medal is failure. They do not seem as upset if they don't win gold in any other sport. I wouldn't walk across the street to see Michael Phelps swim. I used to love to swim, it's a great summer activity , but it is not a sport.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Abridged version?  You've outdone yourself.  

I feel badly, and somewhat guilty for some of my sentitments, because I'm not dissing the athletes and their achievements; it's just sad that the media hype and other factors detract -- and of course, there has to be an element of "you have to be there" too, to fully embrace the events and the excitement, not that I covet being there.   As far as the events are concerned, the summer games do not have the thrills that the winter games have, which again, is not to diminish the athletes (I loved track and field, for example, when I was in HS).   

As for what constitutes a "sport" -- at least a competitive sport?   That's a topic that could keep us going all day.  Your comment about Phelps has me laughing out loud.   

I did watch some of the opening ceremony.   It was okay, clever in parts, "insider" humor for sure, and droll, but not a blockbuster, IMO. I'm just a dumb American, don't forget.  :)   I wasn't riveted to it by any means, but from all the countries that walked in the opening ceremony, Spain was noticably one of the most joyful, charasmatic, and hot; didn't even mind seeing Pao Gasol leading the way with the flag.  He looked nice. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Yes, there's an "official" song for the Olympics: Muse's "Survival" : Abridged version?  You've outdone yourself.   I feel badly, and somewhat guilty for some of my sentitments, because I'm not dissing the athletes and their achievements; it's just sad that the media hype and other factors detract -- and of course, there has to be an element of "you have to be there" too, to fully embrace the events and the excitement, not that I covet being there.   As far as the events are concerned, the summer games do not have the thrills that the winter games have, which again, is not to diminish the athletes (I loved track and field, for example, when I was in HS).    As for what constitutes a "sport" -- at least a competitive sport?   That's a topic that could keep us going all day.  Your comment about Phelps has me laughing out loud.    I did watch some of the opening ceremony.   It was okay, clever in parts, "insider" humor for sure, and droll, but not a blockbuster, IMO. I'm just a dumb American, don't forget.   :)   I wasn't riveted to it by any means, but from all the countries that walked in the opening ceremony, Spain was noticably one of the most joyful, charasmatic, and hot; didn't even mind seeing Pao Gasol leading the way with the flag.  He looked nice. 
    Posted by yogafriend

The Super Bowl also has reached the point where the game is almost a sideshow to all the other attractions ( halftime, pregame, postgame, COMMERCIALS.....YES I ABSOLUTLEY WANT TO CHOKE EVERY IDIOT THAT TELLS ME THEY ONLY WATCH THE SUPERBOWL FOR THE COMMERCIALS!). A real footbal fan ( and I used to be a "REAL" football fan) watches football because it is possibly the best game of strategy not played on a chessboard. It is not about "glamour" it is not about colored , flashing lights, pretty jerseys or Rock'nRoll bands playing at halftime. Real football is Hank Starmm pacing the sidelines with his notes rolled up in his clenched fist, it is Joe Namath with his mostly white Jets uniform caked in mud by halftime. Ot is Johnny Unitas looking like a Marine sargent, it is about Jim Brown or Gale Sayers crashing the line to gain 3 or 4 yards on first down. It is about Jan Stenerud nailing a 55 yard field goal. It is the Green Packers running a power sweep...and you know it's comin' , but you can't stop it....I dare you!

The Olympics used to be about a bunch of college kids beating the most powerful hockey machine on the planet. It used to be about athletes being heroic ( for any country , not just ours). It used to be about the events, not all the flashy b*llshit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JM0N. Show JM0N's posts

In Response to Re: Yes, there's an "official" song for the Olympics: Muse's "Survival" : Did you intend this for the "Artists I can't stand that everyone else loves" thread?    It would be a good fit for that thread.  
    Posted by yogafriend

You mentioned Sir Paul and I feel he is a donkey. He is utterly in love Paul.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Yes, there's an "official" song for the Olympics: Muse's "Survival" :  I wouldn't walk across the street to see Michael Phelps swim. I used to love to swim, it's a great summer activity , but it is not a sport.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Well, at least the media statement called Phelps the greatest Olympic "swimmer" -- not the greatest athlete.  Either way, I find myself unable to be thrilled on his behalf.  He has enough Twitter fans, he doesn't need me.

As for badminton -- never knew a game like that could cause such controversy.  Always thought it was so gentile.   Guess not.  :P  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Never heard Muse's song applied to the Olympics.  No matter.  Apparently, it was played at the closing.  

It was said that the lead song from the "Chariots of Fire" soundtrack became the song of the Olympics, if you were there.   

Meanwhile, the closing ceremony was a bit like a music festival gone wrong. :P

How did you like Brian May and Roger Taylor?  :P    Was never a fan of the Spice Girls, but they're lookin' good, FWIW.   I remembered I have the "Spiceworld" CD (it was a gift, I didn't go out and buy it, FTR) -- I dusted it off, and plan on listening to it today.  :D

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The closing got panned; if you saw any of it, you probably agree.  It was ghastly, all the no-shows and covers.   I was cringing over the kids' chorus singing "Imagine"  -- thankfully they put John Lennon's face on the screen after only one verse, and played the real recording.   Didn't stick with it, and I might have missed a set or two that was half-way decent, but overall, I didn't have the desire (or the patience).  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

The closing got panned; if you saw any of it, you probably agree.  It was ghastly, all the no-shows and covers.   I was cringing over the kids' chorus singing "Imagine"  -- thankfully they put John Lennon's face on the screen after only one verse, and played the real recording.   Didn't stick with it, and I might have missed a set or two that was half-way decent, but overall, I didn't have the desire (or the patience).   http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/spice-girls-not-enough-save-jessie-j-centric-005423459--oly.html
    Posted by yogafriend

Yoga, I disagree with the critics. I thought the Lennon tribute was fine and moving.  The show is geared towards the athletes, and most of them are younger, so a lot of the music reflected their generation. There were some seriously weird moments like Russell Brand as Willy Wonka, and many of the better performances, especially Blur's and Ray Davies were cut. Also the show was a bit all over the place musically, but for the most part it was entertaining. The Spice Girls - eh.

But the bigger questions are, what the heck was Naomi Campbell doing there, and where was Bowie.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Yes, there's an "official" song for the Olympics: Muse's "Survival" : Yoga, I disagree. I thought the Lennon tribute was fine and moving.  The show is geared towards the athletes, and most of them are younger, so a lot of the music reflected their generation. I agree there were some seriously weird moments like Russell Brand as Willy Wonka, and many of the better performances, especially Blur's and Ray Davies were cut. Also the show was a bit all over the place musically, but for the most part it was entertaining. The Spice Girls - eh. But the bigger questions is, what the heck was Naomi Campbell doing there, and where was Bowie.
    Posted by polar123

It's not so much who the closing is geared to, nor an age factor.  The chorus was terribly ill-suited for the song, that's why I cringed.   Might just as well have been singing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" for the emotional depth they could offer as children.  

There is no meaningful emotion that can come from young children singing that song; they do not have much life experience, so I, therefore, can't "buy" the lyrics for "Imagine" from a bunch of high-voiced children; it should be sung by people (or a person) who can give it the depth it deserves.  That's where I was comig from, anyhow.  I have nothing against children's choruses.  :P  

The "fashion" set left me a little cold, and since Naomi Campbell is British, well ... no comment.   I would have preferred seeing Bowie, too.  

Sections
Shortcuts