You didn't know even one song -- that's right -- not even one

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

You didn't know even one song -- that's right -- not even one

You purchased an album that didn't have even one song that you knew on it.  You were unfamiliar with the entire album.  Blank knowledge.  No radio friendly hits.   No tv show closers.  Nothing you'd ever heard live.  Not even a version of a cover song.  Nothing.   You're a tabula rasa.   

You might have made your purchase based on a review or recommendation from a friend, and you might have listened to some tracks on youtube (that you did not recognize or know prior to listening).   Knowing even one song does not count here.  

This does not include new releases, as that lack of familiarity is common.  I'm referring to a retro purchase of some variety, that had been out for a few years or more.  Note: Gifts count, as you may have received a "what's this?" album for a gift.  You might own a few albums by the group, and you're familiar with the group in general -- but this particular album -- not a chord on it that you knew prior to purchase.  

Any examples of this practice in your personal collection?  Too many to list?  Then list a few stand outs.   

What was your reaction after you gave that disc (or sound file) a few spins?   Great, good, meh, or mistake?   

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: You didn't know even one song -- that's right -- not even one

There are a few but the one notable album was Tarkus (1971) by Emerson, Lake & Palmer. I had not heard a single track from the album and only recently had become aware of them as a band. Lucky Man had some radio airplay in 1970, but I was just coming into my own musically and was still attached to the earlier generation of music, Beatles, Stones, etc. plus the bubble gum pop that 10 - 11 y.o. listened to. But I hit my stride at 12 , going on 13.

I put it on the turntable & was so blown away, not to mention the cheap little speakers I was using back then. It was because of this album I started learning about and saving for higher end stereo equipment. I believe Tarkus to be Prog Rocks greatest masterpiece and list this album in my stuck on a deserted island list.

Same goes for Queen II. Was not familiar with one song on the album but bought it on the strength of Liar and Keep Yourself Alive from Queen's 1st album. Again, this album, like Tarkus are on my stuck on a stranded island list.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

T-Bone Walker - Classics of Modern Blues

Back in the ancient days of vinyl records, I would scout the record shops desperately searching for Muddy Waters and Howlin's Wolf collections only to keep coming up empty. I came across this T-Bone Walker collection and decided to give it a try, since I wasn't having much luck finding my favorites. What a wonderful and pleasant surprise that was! T-Bone played a whole 'nother style of blues than Muddy and the Wolf, but what a great style if was. Later on I discovered what a huge influence he was on Chuck Berry, so it makes sense that I love Chuck's music too, as well as B.B. King. The uptown blues with the bigger bands produced a style of blues that often surprise people who think of the blues as mournful music. Nothing could be further from the truth when it comes to T-Bone Walker. Here is a great cut off of that collection.

"Strollin' With Bones"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxaTaDs_uC0

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: You didn't know even one song -- that's right -- not even one:
    [QUOTE]T-Bone Walker - Classics of Modern Blues Back in the ancient days of vinyl records, I would scout the record shops desperately searching for Muddy Waters and Howlin's Wolf collections only to keep coming up empty. I came across this T-Bone Walker collection and decided to give it a try, since I wasn't having much luck finding my favorites. What a wonderful and pleasant surprise that was! T-Bone played a whole 'nother style of blues than Muddy and the Wolf, but what a great style if was. Later on I discovered what a huge influence he was on Chuck Berry, so it makes sense that I love Chuck's music too, as well as B.B. King. The uptown blues with the bigger bands produced a style of blues that often surprise people who think of the blues as mournful music. Nothing could be further from the truth when it comes to T-Bone Walker. Here is a great cut off of that collection. "Strollin' With Bones" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxaTaDs_uC0
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree - most of the first Blues albums I bought were based on interviews I read with my Rock idols talking about American Bluesmen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I could list hundreds of CDs I have bought without every hearing a single track. If I really like an artist, I'll likely fork over the money.

Here's one example:

McCauley Schenker Group-Perfect Timing......you'll grow old and die waiting for any radio station to play anything by these guys!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Here are a couple more I bought years back without knowing a single track:

Neil Young- Tonight's The Night....perhaps his least commercial effort.

Nils Lofgren- Crooked Line....just great!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Recent example for me is Massive Attack's, 'Blue Lines', which I might add, is now one of my favorite albums.    Had only recently bought my very first Massive Attack album, and with that one, was familiar with only one song.  My decision to get 'Blue Lines' was automatic, and instinctive.  Completely and utterly blown away; calling it great is an understatement. 

Both albums are from the early 1990s.   

To add to my experience with the group's music, I happened to watch a movie ca. early 1990s recently, and wouldn't you know, one of the songs on the soundtrack was a Massive Attack song (it was in a HOT scene), a song that just two weeks prior, I'd never even heard, and would never have recognized.  I was amused thinking it was just a coincidence -- or maybe synchronicity.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: You didn't know even one song -- that's right -- not even one:
    [QUOTE]I could list hundreds of CDs I have bought without every hearing a single track. If I really like an artist, I'll likely fork over the money. Here's one example: McCauley Schenker Group-Perfect Timing......you'll grow old and die waiting for any radio station to play anything by these guys!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I could not list hundreds, but the more I think about this, I've gone in 'cold' and bought many albums under the "no pre-knowledge" principle.  

But hundreds?  That's quite an achievement.  

P.S.  I know who Michael Schenker is, too (thanks to the forum). I won't hold my breath waiting for one of his songs to be played on classic hits any time soon.   Good advice.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You didn't know even one song -- that's right -- not even one : I could not list hundreds, but the more I think about this, I've gone in 'cold' and bought many albums under the "no pre-knowledge" principle.   But hundreds?  That's quite an achievement .   P.S.   I know who Michael Schenker is, too (thanks to the forum). I won't hold my breath waiting for one of his songs to be played on classic hits any time soon.   Good advice.  :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I have a rather huge collection of CDs.

If I had bought only the CDs that had songs/videos played on radio or T.V.or in the record store (really the only mediums available back in the day) I would never have been exposed to anywhere near the music I have enjoyed. Quite frankly, if I had more time and money, I probably would have eclipsed what I have long ago. I used to browse in record stores on average of twice a week, usually over an hour each trip. I would never leave empty handed, and usually would spen $100 easily ( and have to leave behind much that I would have loved to own).

Those days are gone , though. I have somewhat kicked this addiction. Not so much by choice, but because there are a few things in life that are much more important to me at my age than what they were back about 25 years ago.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

A couple - because of this forum!

The Black Keys El Camino and.....

Morphine

*******AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ***************************

Great stuff too!

...and again Thank you!

Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]I could list hundreds of CDs I have bought without every hearing a single track. If I really like an artist, I'll likely fork over the money. Here's one example: McCauley Schenker Group-Perfect Timing......you'll grow old and die waiting for any radio station to play anything by these guys!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Zilla .....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ilZvSQL7gc

.....too much! 80's hair band...having flashbacks.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

I bought the recent Radiohead album King of Limbs without knowing/hearing any of the songs, and i am kind of sorry i did. I'm sure there are more. Back in the day before the interweb you would be taking a shot in the dark often when it came to buying music. But it was way more fun, not knowing any of the songs. Hearing great albums in their entirety for the first time is something that I really miss.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You didn't know even one song -- that's right -- not even one : ***************** Zilla ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ilZvSQL7gc .....too much! 80's hair band...having flashbacks.....
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

But they are such good flashbacks. And I am sorry, but as cheesy as the 80's became and formula driven music as Record companies could get the bands to go, it was a great time to be in your twenties. I don't know about the ladies of our forum,but this boy had more fun than what should be allowed.

I am sure Michael Schencker didn't care that his musical integrity was being tarnished a little with this song and video.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Probably several, but two stand out. In each case, this guy I knew at the music store gave me a recommendation. I had heard of neither at the time, but I took his advice ... and he was 2-for-2.

And ...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You didn't know even one song -- that's right -- not even one : But they are such good flashbacks. And I am sorry, but as cheesy as the 80's became and formula driven music as Record companies could get the bands to go, it was a great time to be in your twenties. I don't know about the ladies of our forum,but this boy had more fun than what should be allowed. I am sure Michael Schencker didn't care that his musical integrity was being tarnished a little with this song and video.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

No, no, no......I like Ratt, White Snake etc....I just loved the video of the band Zilla suggested!

What I love about Zillas post's are that he shows me how much I don't know about music!

I picture Zilla as the "kid" behind the counter at the local record store that you humm a few notes of a song to and Zilla reacts like Dustin Hoffman in Rainman..."that would be ZZ Top from their 1977 album Gringo produced by John Smith....."

The guy is a walking encyclopedia of musical knowledge!

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I bought the recent Radiohead album King of Limbs without knowing/hearing any of the songs, and i am kind of sorry i did. I'm sure there are more. Back in the day before the interweb you would be taking a shot in the dark often when it came to buying music. But it was way more fun, not knowing any of the songs. Hearing great albums in their entirety for the first time is something that I really miss.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Sorry about Radiohead's album being a disappointment, a seemingly rare experience, considering how easy it would have been to try out a bunch of tracks before buying it.   If you just got hold of it, it doesn't fall into a new release category, so you took a chance, which is I meant in my OP.  Sometimes, it does not work out.  

Browsing through a record store is much more tempting than browsing online, at least for me.   I can resist / wait for an online purchase, but when I pick up the physical object, it's more irresistable.   With so many indie music stores having closed, and even the big chains going under (Strawberries), thankfully Newbury Comics is still going strong.   I still browse quite often -- waiting to pounce on a good deal or an obscure gem.  

In purchasing retro albums, one of my current practices, I am slapping down money for music that is not well-known to me; the crapshoots have been very favorable, in fact, I've turned fanatical over some of the music I am buying "cold" -- with only a few listens on youtube to tracks I've never heard before and certainly, no recognizable singles.  

We've had discussions in the past about how much more difficult it is to find "new music" now, but I think the tide has changed on the supposition.  It's very, very easy to explore new music, get hold of it, and only buy the tunes you like, in fact, if you want to go that route.   

There was a story about the closing of the last video store in Brookline in the Globe a couple of days ago.   One of the people featured in the article was relatively young, age 26, and youngish to lament the death of the video store, commenting that it's "soul-less" to browse and rent movies from an online source.   Something has been lost in that "in person" experience.  

You can't beat the convenience, but it's undeniable that congregating in a physical spce, browsing, picking up physical objects, seeing what's just come back from other rentals, watching other people, etc., gives the process synergy that you do not get online.   

Consumer norms have changed.  We went from having to go to a theatre to see a movie.   Then made it possible to rent a movie, by going to a store that acted as a movie lending library (for a fee) to rent, and then return, a video.  To now -- you don't have to leave your home dwelling at all to browse, rent, receive, or watch.   Totally solitary process.  Has the process lost its soul?  How many people look at it that way?  Trending indicates that most people simply don't care.   Convenience is the number one priority and it's hard to say that's not valid.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You didn't know even one song -- that's right -- not even one : Ah, the good old days.  I suppose you can still find the occasional record store, but it's usually a Newbury Comics or the equivalent. And I'm not sure I'd trust the recommendations from anyone working in one. Is Cheapo's still around? I haven't been to Central Square in a decade.  That was the place to go for old blues vinyl. 
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

Newbury Comics buys used CDs.  I've sold some of mine there, in fact.   You might be surprised at the deals you can get -- it's hit or miss, of course -- but it's what makes browsing fun.   

It's not the same as the old time used record stores by any means, but it's been working for me.   For between $3.99 and $5.99, I can't believe what I've found -- on a good day, anyhow. As I said, it's hit or miss.   :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I've tried hard to think of or when I've been in this scenario...

...and I can't think of a single instance, other than brand new albums, in which I haven't heard a single song or something to peak my interest.

I guess I'm just not that spontaneous....

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You didn't know even one song -- that's right -- not even one : I suspect the Newbury's in town is better than the crappy one up in NH I seem to always end up at.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

You might want to try NH-based Bull Moose Music.  They're pretty good, too.

For some reason, they always seem to have abundant deals on used box sets.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I've tried hard to think of or when I've been in this scenario... ...and I can't think of a single instance, other than brand new albums, in which I haven't heard a single song or something to peak my interest. I guess I'm just not that spontaneous....
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

On the flip side, consider that you've engendered that spirit of spontaneity in others, through your feedback and recommendations here, and I'm sure with people you know in your 3D life.   Might be more your mission.   In that sense, you're a giver, and the rest of us are takers.  :D

Not knowing any singles off an album (again, not including a brand new release) does require an open mind and some patience; you never know if there's going to be a "waiting period" for the songs to grow on you.   It's been my collecting style for a while, and that's certainly due to having an exceptional batting average with regard to the outcome.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'll date myself with this one, but in college there was this great record store called "Books, Strings and Things." It was the best. Of course, you could also buy ... ahem ... other stuff there, too.