You'll want to be sedated before you read this, Queen fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

You'll want to be sedated before you read this, Queen fans

I'm on my way out the door, but ... better to hear it from me than hear it on the street.  :D

It's Queen week on AI.   

Sit down, it gets worse.   Brian May and Roger Taylor will be appearing.  AL, too, most likely. 

Sorry.  :(    This is part of, "they're in it for the money", right?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Re: You'll want to be sedated before you read this, Queen fans

Ahem.  Depending on how one defines "worst band ever", Queen are (to me) the worst band ever.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to You'll want to be sedated before you read this, Queen fans:
    [QUOTE]I'm on my way out the door, but ... better to hear it from me than hear it on the street.  :D It's Queen week on AI .    Sit down, it gets worse.   Brian May and Roger Taylor will be appearing.  AL, too, most likely.  Sorry.  :(    This is part of, "they're in it for the money", right?  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Queen has milked their music in a zillion ways! Same stuff re-mastered, re packaged BUT still the same!

A tour (2 times) with Paul Rodgers

A musical running for the past 10 years in the UK based on their music, ran at the Paris in Las Vegas for a while too.....the movie is coming soon! With a Part 2 musical scheduled to hit the stage too!

They even went so far as to sell bootlegs of themselves on their website!

But Queen can't be singled out for "doing it for the money".....KISS sells condoms, casket's, dolls, comics....and then of course there is the current "non-talent" being produced - image and all - just to make a buck insert name of boy band here or Brittney Spears!

Worst band ever? if that were true Queen music would have died back in 1991 with Freddie.........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

This is not the first time Queen has worked with A.I. Now I hate that Kaereoke show, but if you want to challenge a singers chops, there is no better music to go at it with.

May and Taylor have certainly milked it a little and I wish they would just sit down together and write new stuff and see what happens. I was okay with the Paul Rodgers stint, but I would hate to see their legacy tarnished in any form.

Now I am not sure exactly what Chilli is aheming about, but as Bill-806 would say on the Sox form, "Let me be perfectly clear; Queen is one of the 10 most important rock and roll bands that ever was and ever will be. They were a lightning strike when it came to melody, song and innovation.

And they gave us the greatest Lead Singer, frontman to ever grace the Rock and Roll stage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: You'll want to be sedated before you read this, Queen fans:
    [QUOTE]Ahem.  Depending on how one defines "worst band ever", Queen are (to me) the worst band ever.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Ahem. :)
    This was really directed at JE, and I was just kidding around.  Most things AI get under his skin, so why not bring it up now and again?  It's fun.  Heh.

As for your contention that Queen has the status as the worst band -- you won't find a better person to discuss that with than Jessey.  :D

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to You'll want to be sedated before you read this, Queen fans : ***************************************** Queen has milked their music in a zillion ways! Same stuff re-mastered, re packaged BUT still the same! A tour (2 times) with Paul Rodgers A musical running for the past 10 years in the UK based on their music, ran at the Paris in Las Vegas for a while too.....the movie is coming soon! With a Part 2 musical scheduled to hit the stage too! They even went so far as to sell bootlegs of themselves on their website! But Queen can't be singled out for "doing it for the money".....KISS sells condoms, casket's, dolls, comics....and then of course there is the current "non-talent" being produced - image and all - just to make a buck insert name of boy band here or Brittney Spears! Worst band ever? if that were true Queen music would have died back in 1991 with Freddie.........
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

Roger, 
    Welcome back. Total riot.  I'm howling.  Thanks for weighing in, you made some good points.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]This is not the first time Queen has worked with A.I. Now I hate that Kaereoke show, but if you want to challenge a singers chops, there is no better music to go at it with. May and Taylor have certainly milked it a little and I wish they would just sit down together and write new stuff and see what happens. I was okay with the Paul Rodgers stint, but I would hate to see their legacy tarnished in any form. Now I am not sure exactly what Chilli is aheming about, but as Bill-806 would say on the Sox form, "Let me be perfectly clear; Queen is one of the 10 most important rock and roll bands that ever was and ever will be. They were a lightning strike when it came to melody, song and innovation. And they gave us the greatest Lead Singer, frontman to ever grace the Rock and Roll stage.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

JE, I didn't know that Queen worked with AI in the past seasons (I never watch) -- but I did see in the news yesterday that it was going to be "Queen night" last night and figured I'd yank your chain about it)--  but you're right about their songs being a test of a singer's chops.  

In watching the network a cappella competition last year, one of the best performances was on a Queen song, "Somebody to Love"  -- brought the house down.  Took guts to do the song.   I couldn't believe how the group squeezed every ounce of emotion out of it without going into parody, but they did.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Sorry for my ignorance but what is AI?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry for my ignorance but what is AI?
    Posted by leafswin27[/QUOTE]

American Idol (and you're not ignorant)  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Where I come from A.I. is short for Artificial Intelligence.

There is no "common ground" between artificial intelligence and American Idol ( or any type of "Reality Show")

I have to suffer through the dying minutes of this ridiculous exhibition of stupidity in order that I do not miss the beginning of the only network show I care enough about to actually watch, "Touch."

Last week, I came close to throwing up when some young male singer dropped to his knees and sang his whole sappy song from his knees while all the girls weeped real? tears ( I almost cried too....but for different reasons... it was painful to watch this phony cr@p!).

Beam us up Scotty, there's no intelligent life on this planet!...at least we haven't seen any yet.

I heard the DJ on one of the radio stations on my way in to work this morning talking about how the contestants butchered the songs of Queen on last night's show....well, what did you expect?

When reality shows become the only form of entertainment on T.V. is the day I stop watching ( it's damn close now!)...I keep my T.V. mostly for video games,movies, NASCAR and baseball....not much else I care to see.

Question to those who do watch....How many IDOLS has this show produced? I recently heard that 'America's Next Top Model' has yet to produce even one in over 19 years!....what is an IDOL anyway, I always thought it was a false god....nothing on this show approaches godlike qualities ...except Steve Tyler, in his own mind perhaps.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

...nice little rant, eh?

Sorry , I get carried away, sometimes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

American Idol may be a little much, and hard to watch but at least it keeps Queens music alive and introduces it to a younger generation,. In fact, it has done that for a number of older bands. If I am an artist, that makes more sense than saying, no, don't expose my music to millions.

Now as far as AL with Queen, we been down that road before.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]...nice little rant, eh? Sorry , I get carried away, sometimes.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Yes, you're in true form.   Totally howled out loud reading it.    

Just one correction (b/c I read the news yesterday myself ...) America's Top Model -- I watched a couple of rounds of it a few years ago, but it was more than I could stomach -- has been on for 19 seasons, NOT YEARS.   Too funny.   From what I read, Tyra Banks is trying to salvage what's left of it, rather than just end it and put everyone involved out of their misery.  :D

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]American Idol may be a little much, and hard to watch but at least it keeps Queens music alive and introduces it to a younger generation,. In fact, it has done that for a number of older bands. If I am an artist, that makes more sense than saying, no, don't expose my music to millions. Now as far as AL with Queen, we been down that road before.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

You're correct POLAR - Queen has tried to keep it's music alive with a great degree of success first going to Disney's Hollywood record label - insert Queen songs into Disney movies....now on to Island records with re-packaged/extra track re-releases of the entire catalog.....and the musical "We Will Rock You" in the UK.....they are following - in most cases - what the Beatles have done in terms of "marketing the s$%&! out of their music....is that wrong? They, Brian and Roger - Queen, have done more to promote Queen music in the past 20 years since Freddy's death than they had when he was alive...

Next up for Queen - 4 concerts with American Idol runner up Adam Lambert - Moscow and UK...again cross appeal - younger audience that Adam Lambert will bring and the for the nostalgic Queen fan Brian & Roger......"milking" the music and remaining current for 40 years and beyond................Oh yah, the "Queen Extravaganza" kicks off in May across the U.S. and Canada produced by Roger Taylor - it will be at the House of Blues in Boston Monday June 11th. The QE is a Queen tribute band that was put together by RT thru on line contestant videos and on line voting.......are they milking it? Yes but until the public stops buying the marketing will never stop.....and that's my rant Wink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You'll want to be sedated before you read this, Queen fans : On the same page. However, if they executed each contestant at the end, with the quality of performance determining the degree of pain in their death, it might be worth watching....   Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

A very sick idea.

But, I can't say I disagree with it.

Maybe American Idol could be combined with Swamp People and they feed the losers to the alligators , send the winners on an all expense paid trip to the Everglades....with no boat!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]This is not the first time Queen has worked with A.I. Now I hate that Kaereoke show, but if you want to challenge a singers chops, there is no better music to go at it with. May and Taylor have certainly milked it a little and I wish they would just sit down together and write new stuff and see what happens. I was okay with the Paul Rodgers stint, but I would hate to see their legacy tarnished in any form. Now I am not sure exactly what Chilli is aheming about, but as Bill-806 would say on the Sox form, "Let me be perfectly clear; Queen is one of the 10 most important rock and roll bands that ever was and ever will be. They were a lightning strike when it came to melody, song and innovation. And they gave us the greatest Lead Singer, frontman to ever grace the Rock and Roll stage.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Hi Jessey. We obviously see different things in the band.  I see an overblown, cringe-making cabaret.  Overproduced, overwraught and overrated.  As rock and roll as Billy Joel.  Terrible frontman with his stupid costumes and "dramatic" stage behaviour.  A lot of embarrassing lyrics.  A duet with Monserrat Caballé.  Even terrible videos, not that I care about videos.  In summary,  I don't even think of them as a rock and roll band, more of a resurrection of Liberace with a pedestrial backing band in bad haircuts.

If they were important, who/what have they influenced?

Greatest frontman to me is easily Iggy Pop, btw.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Just listen to 'Keep Yourself Alive' or 'Great King Rat' from the first album and tell me that isn't some great rock music or that Brian May isn't a great guitarist.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

As for influential, all you have to do is watch the Freddy Mercury tribute concert for the answer to that.  Def Leppard was clearly influenced.  Heck, Metallica did a Queen song on their Garage Inc. album. 

The Queen sound and Freddy's voice is not easy to replicate so you won't hear a lot of newer bands that sound like them.  The Darkness, who hit big in 2003 with a song called I Believe in a Thing Called Love, is an exception as their vocalist Justin Hawkins did have the ability to come close to Freddy's falsetto. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Def Leppard?   The Darkness?  If that's Queen's entire legacy, I'm afraid it's game, set and match to me.  Justin's not a bad guy and I'm glad he made (and probably has lost by now) a lot of money, but surely the entire world understands they were well more than 50% parody!

To rub salt in the wound, I might add Scissor Sisters to that motley crew.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Influence

Queen have been recognised as having made significant contributions to such genres as hard rock,[211] and heavy metal,[212] amongst others. Hence, the band has been cited as an influence by many other musicians. Moreover, like their music, the bands and artists that have claimed to be influenced by Queen are diverse and span different generations, countries, and genres.

Some of the musicians that have cited the band as an influence include Anthrax,[213] Nirvana,[214] Def Leppard,[215] Dream Theater,[216] Extreme,[217] Trivium,[218] Foo Fighters,[219] Franz Ferdinand,[220] George Michael,[221] Green Day,[222] Guns N' Roses,[223] Iron Maiden,[224][225] Journey,[226] Kansas,[227] Katy Perry,[228] Keane,[229] Lady Gaga,[230] Manic Street Preachers,[231] Meat Loaf,[232] Metallica,[233] Mika,[234] Muse,[235] My Chemical Romance,[236] Panic at the Disco,[237] Queensrÿche,[238] Van Halen,[239] Radiohead,[240] Robbie Williams,[241] Trent Reznor,[242] Steve Vai,[243] Sum 41,[244] Styx,[245] The Flaming Lips,[246] The Killers, and The Smashing Pumpkins.[247][248]

Queen have been cited as a major influence on the "neo-classical metal" genre by Swedish guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen.[249] Metallica recorded a cover version of "Stone Cold Crazy", which first appeared on the Rubáiyát: Elektra's 40th Anniversary album in 1990, and won their first Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance in 1991. In the early 70s, Queen helped spur the heavy metal genre's evolution by discarding much of its blues influence;[212][224] the New Wave of British Heavy Metal in addition, they fused the music genre with a punk rock sensibility and an increasing emphasis on speed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]Influence Queen have been recognised as having made significant contributions to such genres as hard rock, [ 211 ] and heavy metal, [ 212 ] amongst others. Hence, the band has been cited as an influence by many other musicians. Moreover, like their music, the bands and artists that have claimed to be influenced by Queen are diverse and span different generations, countries, and genres. Some of the musicians that have cited the band as an influence include Anthrax , [ 213 ] Nirvana , [ 214 ] Def Leppard , [ 215 ] Dream Theater , [ 216 ] Extreme , [ 217 ] Trivium , [ 218 ] Foo Fighters , [ 219 ] Franz Ferdinand , [ 220 ] George Michael , [ 221 ] Green Day , [ 222 ] Guns N' Roses , [ 223 ] Iron Maiden , [ 224 ] [ 225 ] Journey , [ 226 ] Kansas , [ 227 ] Katy Perry , [ 228 ] Keane , [ 229 ] Lady Gaga , [ 230 ] Manic Street Preachers , [ 231 ] Meat Loaf , [ 232 ] Metallica , [ 233 ] Mika , [ 234 ] Muse , [ 235 ] My Chemical Romance , [ 236 ] Panic at the Disco , [ 237 ] Queensrÿche , [ 238 ] Van Halen , [ 239 ] Radiohead , [ 240 ] Robbie Williams , [ 241 ] Trent Reznor , [ 242 ] Steve Vai , [ 243 ] Sum 41 , [ 244 ] Styx , [ 245 ] The Flaming Lips , [ 246 ] The Killers , and The Smashing Pumpkins . [ 247 ] [ 248 ] Queen have been cited as a major influence on the " neo-classical metal " genre by Swedish guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen . [ 249 ] Metallica recorded a cover version of " Stone Cold Crazy ", which first appeared on the Rubáiyát: Elektra's 40th Anniversary album in 1990, and won their first Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance in 1991. In the early 70s, Queen helped spur the heavy metal genre's evolution by discarding much of its blues influence; [ 212 ] [ 224 ] the New Wave of British Heavy Metal in addition, they fused the music genre with a punk rock sensibility and an increasing emphasis on speed.
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

Excellent post Roger! You have essentially killed two birds with one stone, proving why Queen is not overrated, and refuting Chilliwings valid argument with facts that support your viewpoint. I think this is what many of us have been trying to achieve in the other threads when it comes to over/under.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Here's a little bit more.....

"The Official U.K. Charts Company announced today (May 3) that Adele's blockbuster "21" album has surpassed Michael Jackson's "Thriller" in total U.K. sales. "21's" to-date U.K. sales now stand at 4,274,300 -- 500 copies more than "Thriller."

The UK's Top 10 biggest selling albums of all-time are now as follows:

1. Queen, "Greatest Hits" (1981)
    2. The Beatles, "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (1967)
    3. ABBA, "Gold - Greatest Hits" (1992)
    4. Oasis, "What's the Story Morning Glory" (1995)
    5. Adele, "21" (2011)
    6. Michael Jackson, "Thriller" (1982)
    7. Dire Straits, "Brothers in Arms" (1985)
    8. Pink Floyd, "The Dark Side of the Moon" (1973)
    9. Michael Jackson, "Bad" (1987)
    10. Queen, "Greatest Hits II" (1991)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

And surely Oasis was also influenced by Queen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Chilliwings, no offence man, I enjoy your posts, but you're sounding a bit like a Rolling Stone critic on this one, one of those guys who thinks Deep Purple's stuff was unimportant and boring and doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

But I don't begrudge chilliwings' opinion - I understand it actually - in the same way he disregards Queen I feel the same way about Dylan.....and a number of other artists' too.......I like the back and forth of the posts here, it's a great group of opinionated people................

Queen has sold over 300 MILLION records world wide so I know there are a lot of fans out there....