Your 2012 Picks...?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Your 2012 Picks...?

Another year in music is nearly gone, so it's time to take stock.  What were your favorite songs, albums, concerts, etc. and other musical ephemera that caught your fancy in 2012?  Maybe they were new releases, old discoveries, recent bootlegs/downloads...or even books, articles, DVDs, and so on.  As long as they were acquired by you in 2012, they pass.  Here are my picks:

New LPs:

Divine Fits - A Thing Called Divine Fits; Heartless Bastards - Arrow; Leonard Cohen - Old Ways (a grower); Dr. Dog - Be The Void; Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill; Metric - Synthetica, Garbage - Not Your Kind Of People; Dr. John - Locked Out; Gomez - Live in L.A. 2012 (digital download); Donald Fagen - Sunken Condos

Singles: 

"Hurry Hurry" - Air Traffic Controller; "Take A Walk" - Passion Pit; "Stay Away" - Charles Bradley & Menahan Street Band; "Walt Whitman" - Trampled By Turtles

Old Stuff: 

Talk Talk - The Colour Of Spring (1985); Supertramp - Crime Of The Century; Genesis - Live (1973 - remastered); Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky; Galactic - Live At Tipitina's (2003); Built To Spill - Keep It Like A Secret (1999)

Concerts:

Black Keys/Arctic Monkeys @ TD Garden; The Head And The Heart @ State Theater, Portland; Mountain Jam Festival; Roger Waters: The Wall @ Fenway; Newport Folk Festival (esp. Deer Tick's late-night show); 

Books:

"Waging Heavy Peace" (Neil Young); "The Wrecking Crew" (re: the LA session band)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Your 2012 Picks...?

Here are my picks:

Old stuff/concert:

George Jones - Walk Through This World With Me: The Complete Musicor Recordings 1965-1971 (Part 1) and A Good Year for The Roses: The Complete Musicor Recordings 1965-1971 (Part 2)

Saw old George in concert but it was one of the worst concerts I've ever been to. He had absolutely no voice so really what is the point of a concert when it's his voice that means everything? I guess it's nice just to say I saw him before he passed on.

New stuff/old stuff:

Graham Parker and The Rumour - Three Chords Good (new!); Live at Rockpalast 1978 & 1980 (CD & DVD).

And that's it for me. 2012 was a slow music year for me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I can't review the year in a very organized fashion right now, but I'll come back and edit my comments after I give this more thought.   I added a considerable amount of music, but top picks that come to mind are mixed with new (current) and old releases that are new to me:

The Mask and the Mirrow - Loreena McKennitt 
    Strangeland  - Keane (2012)
    Hopes and Fears - Keane 
    Future Games - FWM 
    Blue Lines - Massive Attack 

Got hold of a few books very recently, but have not read them yet ...

Concerts : TBD

... and among some of my favorite forum threads, were: Pink Floyd, Velvet Underground, Wilco, Pearl Jam, many of the "song of the day" threads that we ritualized for quite a while (those were nice); Sally and Amelia,  many of the multi-part threads developed around music formats, Hall of Shame, Beatles songs, the "who should get off the stage" thread, concert reviews, and many more, too numerous to mention (or recall). ;) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Rock books:

Fab (Paul McCartney bio) - Howard Sounes

Lennon - Tim Riley

Kind of cool reading biographies of Paul & John back to back - especially when they're this huge and free of charge from the library!

I would recommend both of these highly.  Neither are without their faults but the good stuff more than outweighs the bad.  The Lennon book goes into amazingly detailed analysis of the music.  The depiction of how the final version of Strawberry Fields Forever came to be, which runs several pages, is reason enough to read it.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

I'll add Sharon Van Etten's, Tramp, to the 2012 best albums list.  Her August show was good as well.