Your favorite added touches/special features in songs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Your favorite added touches/special features in songs

What I'm not talking about here is great riffs or melodies or solos.  What I'm thinking of is the touches or features added to songs that are a little out of the ordinary, that make the song more distinctive and memorable.

Some examples:

Beatles I Feel Fine - feedback leading into opening riff
    Eight Days a Week - fade-in at beginning
    A Hard Day's Night - single chord opening
    Rain - backward vocal at the end (first time it was used)
    A Day in the Life - single piano note at the end 

Stones
     You Can't Always Get What You Want - choir backing vocals

Derek and the Dominoes
     Layla - piano coda

Peter Frampton
     Do You Feel Like We Do - voice box guitar effect

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Re: Your favorite added touches/special features in songs (I'll explain)

WOW!  I Feel Good!...............by James Brown.  The scream that starts it off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Daltrey's scream in Won't Get Fooled Again is a classic as well.  Not sure his pipes ever fully recovered from that one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

We could fill this thread with Beatles songs, as you have listed 5 already in your opening post, Hfx. 

Maybe this isn't what you're looking for, but "The End" from Abbey Road is just filled with "special features" throughout the song b/c each band member does a solo, and then there's that ending ... not only the final lyrics, but those last few chords. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Jethro Tull - Skating Away (the 'morning breakfast' noises intro)

The Doors - Riders On The Storm (storm/thunder intro with perfect piano progression "rain")

"I've got blisters on my fingers...!!" - nuff said

Almost anything from The Wall  (esp. Nobody's Home, Waiting For The Worms, The Trial...)

"The Road To Hell" - Chris Rea (full version spoken intro...very spooky, like a movie)

"Waiting For The Man" - Velvet Underground - Live 1969 (Lou chats up the Dallas crowd a bit, talks about the Cowboys-Eagles game, who in the audience has school the next day, and "whatever makes life bearable in Texas"...classic Lou Reed deadpan)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

If talking about "Live" music I'll go with Carlos Santana holding a note for what seemed like minutes, his face wrenched in pain

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Pink Floyd might be the masters of incorporating sound effects into their songs, the cash registers on Money and the clocks on Time being just two of the most familiar examples.  And those sounds at the start of Welcome to the Machine are UGLY. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Your favorite added touches/special features in songs (I'll explain):
    [QUOTE]Rain - backward vocal at the end (first time it was used) Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    don't mean to be a snob, but "i'm only sleeping" was actually the first time a recording played backwards was used on a track. unless you're referring to the first time backwards vocal only was used, in which case i apologize.

in the backwards vein, the song "Nude" off In Rainbows by Radiohead is perhaps the most beautiful thing I have heard in a long time. the beginning of the song is literally the end of the song backwards. the opposite of the end is the beginning. oh symmetry, you're amazing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I think "I Am The Walrus" has some of the best little frills in it. Were they singing "Everybody smokes pot" and did John actually say "I buried Paul"?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Hey Bulldog has a nice little vocal thing by Lennon where he says "do you know any more?" and then I believe it's Paul who answers him with a dog bark.

The use of the cowbell on many of the songs on Rainbow's debut LP is very cool.

George Harrison employed the Monty Python Flying Circus gang to add some vocals to "This Song."

The Mexican voices in the background of "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo are a nice touch.

The "bubbling chemicals" sound heard in "Monster Mash."

"Dear God" by XTC features the voice of a young child alternating with Andy Partridge.

The Cramps use a motorcycle revving sound on one of their songs, I think it's "Get off the Road."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

in Response to Re: Your favorite added touches/special features in songs (I'll explain):
    [QUOTE]I think "I Am The Walrus" has some of the best little frills in it. Were they singing "Everybody smokes pot" and did John actually say "I buried Paul"?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

i actually read an interview with george when he said it wasn't "i buried paul," it was actually "cranberry sauce"

can't say i know about the "everbody smokes pot."

also, the jarbled mess at the end of a day in the life is actually "we'll f**k you like supermen" cut up and placed in a nonsensical order.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Some radio-related touches I'm fond of:

- The tuning segment between songs on Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here"
    - The simulated and real (respectively) radio broadcast sample at the beginning of both First Class's "Beach Baby" and Cashman & West's "King of Rock & Roll"
    - The one-line rap intro to REM "Radio Song"
    - The musical static sound effect on Elvis Costello "Radio Radio"

There are many others that aren't jumping to mind right now...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

the delay-effect at the beginning of "you get what you give" (or whatever the title is) by the new radicals. makes me very happy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

The sound of a bottle being opened in "Church Key"

The intros to "Even the Losers", "Century City", and "Louisiana Rain" from the great album Damn the Torpedoesby Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

The gibberish intro to "Spazz" by The Elastik Band
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ZlnPevGRY

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite added touches/special features in songs (I'll explain):
    [QUOTE]The sound of a bottle being opened in "Church Key" The intros to "Even the Losers", "Century City", and "Louisiana Rain" from the great album Damn the Torpedoes by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.   The gibberish intro to "Spazz" by The Elastik Band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ZlnPevGRY
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

DD, I think you are referring to the version of "Church Key" by the Trashmen. My favorite surf/garage band of all time. Oddly enough they were from Minnesota.

Speaking of surf songs, how about the Joker style laugh at the start of
    "Wipe Out?" That was real cool!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Your favorite added touches/special features in songs

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite added touches/special features in songs (I'll explain):
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your favorite added touches/special features in songs (I'll explain) : DD, I think you are referring to the version of "Church Key" by the Trashmen. My favorite surf/garage band of all time. Oddly enough they were from Minnesota. Speaking of surf songs, how about the Joker style laugh at the start of "Wipe Out?" That was real cool!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Zil, I'm referring to the version by The Revels. I have a bunch of surf instrumental collections and a lot of groups had their version of this song. Instrumental surf music is a genre I really love, despite what Hendrix said. I love Jimi too.

Here's a link to the Revels' version:
     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fusj7QxEXTg

I forgot to mention the woman's laugh in this one, too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Your favorite added touches/special features in songs

Late to the party, so I'll stay from the Beatles and Pink Floyd. I'll throw in my favorite band of the '80s and '90s, Living Colour, with the voices of Malcolm X, JFK and FDR in "Cult of Personality."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your favorite added touches/special features in songs (I'll explain) :Speaking of surf songs, how about the Joker style laugh at the start of
    "Wipe Out?" That was real cool!

Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]That was very cool zilla.

Sections
Shortcuts