Your favorite performance from Woodstock.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Your favorite performance from Woodstock.

I will go with Joe Cocker's performance.  He absolutely sings his guts out...on a song written by The Beatles and arranged by Jimmy Page.

The Santana performance is also fantastic.  Love that drum solo by Michael Shrieve.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I kind of like Townsend bashing Hoffman over the head with his guitar.

Country Joe and the Fish for my favorite musical interlude.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Alan Fay.... Allen Fay... Please go to the pink and white tent hospital  your friends are very ill...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Whenever I think of Woodstock . . .   which is rarely . . .  the first thing that comes to mind is Ten Years After and I'm Going Home. I've always felt like Alvin Lee gets short shrift when people talk about the guitar legends of rock and blues.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

What about Crosby, Stills & Nash. I'm not sure about the best, but this had to be the gutsiest. It was only their second gig ever and they were quite nervous on stage given the talent that was there.

Stephen Stills remarked: "This is the second time we've ever played in front of people, man. We're scared bleepless."

The group played separate acoustic and electric sets. Neil Young joined them in the middle of the acoustic set. What a place for the most part to, debut.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite performance from Woodstock.:
    Whenever I think of Woodstock . . .   which is rarely . . .  the first thing that comes to mind is Ten Years After and I'm Going Home . I've always felt like Alvin Lee gets short schrift when people talk about the guitar legends of rock and blues.
    Posted by p-mike

Here, here P-mike. Couldn't have said it any better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite performance from Woodstock. : Here, here P-mike. Couldn't have said it any better.
    Posted by jesseyeric
    Soul Sacrifice was great, as was Hendrix doing the national anthem, but Ten Years After absolutely burned down the house with I'm going home.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Carnie barely beat me to it. Hendrix playing the anthem (to close the show, I do believe).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

While some of you stated that you don't give much thought to Woodstock, to me it was the Mt Olympus of a rock & roll show. I was too young to attend and spent many years of my youth trying to replicate it with concerts attended. I went to Live Aid in search of a taste of the whole R&R hippie thing but the vibe was not the same (not a bad vibe just not a Woodstock one; I think it was trying too hard to as Joan Baez announced "your generation's Woodstock").  The closest I think was the I ever experienced would have to be the summer concerts at The Cape Cod Coliseum.  I think that the summer party feel in the parking lot hours before and after the show added to the party atmosphere that was the key element which made Woodstock what it was.  The horrors which was the concerts in side the the coliseum's building (too hot, too crowded, people being too trashed, and way too much fun) seemed to have the feel that came close, but these concerts lasted only a few hours with one or two bands, not 3 days (4 if you count the Monday overflow where Jimi performed) with a line up that showcased what was most of the best band that existed at that time.

As Far as performances at Woodstock there were so many which were stellar. Most of my knowledge comes from the Soundtrack albums and Film which have been released through out the years. A general consensus has always been that The Who (who were almost not even there) stole the show with their performance which ended the Saturday night line up at sunrise with Townsend tossing his guitar into the crowd after smashing it (in a tasteful way).  The Jefferson Airplane had to follow them and it is said that their show was flat and not inspired, which I disagree with the more that I listen to it (the whole JA performance was released in an album last year, many other artist did the same at the 40th anniversary).

Richie Havens opened the show, which was a surprise to him, (Tim Hardin freaked out, drugs, and other artist had trouble getting to the venue) and he gave an amazing performance including Handsome Johnny which stopped the crowd in their feet and set the standard very high for rest of the show.  They were about to lose the crowd and the show might have turned ugly on Saturday afternoon (Heat,  Humidity, Insane amounts of rain with thunder and lightning, the overwhelming size of the crowd and the under size of the amenities and food was getting crowd very on edge) when two relative unknown acts, who Bill Graham insisted be included (you could not have a show of this size at that time with out kissing Bill's Ring)  saved the day by mesmerizing the crowd and turning what could have ugly into a party, Sananta and Joe Cocker.  Mike Lang, one of Woodstock's producer was so impressed with Cocker that he became his manager for a time after the show.

CSNY played with an inspiration that only comes when a band is performing for the first times (which just happened to be in front of a half a million people).  Sly and the Family Stone managed to get a tripping, stoned wasted crowd to get off their passed out butts and  dance.  Even Sha Na Na rose to the occasion. 

I could go on for hours about amazing performances (Ten Years After, Mountain, Paul Butterfield, Janice, Joan Baez singing Amazing Grace in a downpour and then going to the small stage, for the unknown acts out back and singing for another hour, The Band and the list goes on). If there was a let down in my opinion it would be have to be the Grateful Dead who were flat and did not have one of their better showings (which saddens me: huge Deadhead)

The show closed with one of the defining R&R moments of the decade Jimi playing the national anthem to an depleted crowd frayed by the weekends festivities packing up and going home, He said it was like being on a battlefield after a hard fought battle while the troops were on their way home

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Michael Lang's book 'The Road to Woodstock' which tells the story of how the concert came together, and the enormous obstacles, is an excellent read.  As some may know, Lang and his partners went deep into the hole financially, and ended up having to sign over their rights to the movie in exchange for their debts.  That cost them millions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Another vote for I'm Going Home

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i vote for CSN(Y). very moving

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"Soul Sacrifice" and "I'm Going Home" get another vote each, and I'll add:

Richie Havens

I've seen him live a few times, and he is such a spell-binding performer that he's impossible to ignore.  He never seems out of place or without all his faculties and he just commands the stage like few artists can.  LOVE his version of Dylan's "Tombstone Blues"....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThinkSnow99. Show ThinkSnow99's posts

I watched the entire Woodstock collection once.  Kept waiting for it to get good, and it never did...IMO  

Guess you had to be there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Cocker, CSN or Hendrix.  The Dead sounded bad for their standards. 

Anyone know why The Band's performance was taken out of the movie?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I watched the entire Woodstock collection once.  Kept waiting for it to get good, and it never did...IMO   Guess you had to be there.
    Posted by ThinkSnow99

I wasn't there and it is pretty awesome.

Not trying to be combative , but my guess is the music just isn't your taste.

Because many of these groups were basically unknowns or acts that were still early in their careers. People who are quite well versed in the classic rock era agree that many performers put on a good show at Woodstock, among them Ten Years After, Santana, Hendrix, The Who, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Country Joe and the Fish, Mountain and Richie Havens. Many people well versed in the classic rock era also point to the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 as the better concert. Altamont , however, is better known for the violence.

If you are a music fan and listened to Woodstock once and discarded it as not good, you probably do not like much music from that era.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Zilla - I have spoken to a number of people who did not like either the album or movie. But their reasoning is solid - It had nothing to do with the bands themselves; the venue itself was not condusive to recording and obviously the equipment in today's world was sub-standard. And the actually editing of the mountains of film footage could have been a little better. It was scattered here and there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThinkSnow99. Show ThinkSnow99's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite performance from Woodstock. : I wasn't there and it is pretty awesome. Not trying to be combative , but my guess is the music just isn't your taste. Because many of these groups were basically unknowns or acts that were still early in their careers. People who are quite well versed in the classic rock era agree that many performers put on a good show at Woodstock, among them Ten Years After, Santana, Hendrix, The Who, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Country Joe and the Fish, Mountain and Richie Havens. Many people well versed in the classic rock era also point to the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 as the better concert. Altamont , however, is better known for the violence. If you are a music fan and listened to Woodstock once and discarded it as not good, you probably do not like much music from that era.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Actually, that music is my taste.  I've seen 5 of the bands you mentioned live and loved them all.  Sound quality means everything to me when it comes to listening or watching a live recording.  I didn't think it sounded all that great.  Maybe i'll give it another shot. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Is there any question that the music recordings for Woodstock have far outperformed the film...?

Sound quality is very important, even though some of my favorite bootlegs are a bit sketchy in spots.  And no doubt the woodstock master tapes are in rough shape.   In the end, it's a matter of taste if one can deal with poor audio or not, especially when watching it live.

The best performances from that show are still those that transcended the (many) technical problems with it.  Santana & Ten Years After alone are worth the admission price.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Eric Blackstead the soundtracks' producer and mixing engineer had a liner note included with the album which talked about the quality issue.  he mentioned all the technical issues which were involved in recording an outdoor in temporary facilities while the weather was shorting just about everything.  His notes included something which I have always felt explained how I felt about the quality of the recordings.  He said of the flaws "Consider them like the scars on fine leather, proof of the origin and authenticity of the material in which they are found"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Well-said.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite performance from Woodstock. : Actually, that music is my taste.  I've seen 5 of the bands you mentioned live and loved them all.  Sound quality means everything to me when it comes to listening or watching a live recording.  I didn't think it sounded all that great.  Maybe i'll give it another shot. 
    Posted by ThinkSnow99

After reading the post by good friend and very knowledgable Mr. jessey...I would say that it is very possible the earlier recordings were substandard. I have the box set which came out in the digital age and the DVD of the Hendrix performance. No doubt , the age of digital has allowed tech people to "clean up" the flaws and bring out the best in these historic performances. The old Chuck Berry vinyl and the old Yardbirds on vinyl were almost impossible to listen to back in the 70's until they came out with CD's that were digitally upgraded, I could hardly stand them.

Sections
Shortcuts