Your influence and inspiration: Music recommendations that took hold?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Your influence and inspiration: Music recommendations that took hold?

Has anyone in your personal circle taken any of your music suggestions or recommendations, in the recent past, and let you know?  What recommendation seedling took hold?   

Have you used any song lyrics (a few lines, perhaps, not necessarily the entire set of lyrics) on a card or personal communication to a family member or friend to express an emotion or wish?  The lyrics fit the occasion succinctly and fittingly, and the use of the lyrics truly resonated with you?

Both are very uplifting experiences.   Any recent firsthand experience(s)?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Your influence and inspiration: Music recommendations that took hold?

In Response to Re: Your influence and inspiration: Music recommendations that took hold?:
    [QUOTE]The first song I teach to my young (and not so young) students is Lucky Man - ELP, 1970. Its a ballad, its G-D and Am, its in 12 (yet 4 groups of 3, so it feels like a 4, yet the kids are learning a a waltz beat witout knowing it). Bonus! Makes chicks swoon, and that really is the point when your 12. But my new student, all of 10 years old, said, "this song is about war and death, its not a love song" 20 years of doing this, and he is the first to notice.  God bless America.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

I love kids like that 10-year old.   That kid gives us hope for the future.  :D

Nice.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I have a couple of examples.  

I mentioned a couple of months ago that I discussed music with my yoga instructor (not the first time) after hearing one lone track from an album I love on the playlist one night.  I couldn't help but notice.    After class, I discussed the album in total with her and she'd never heard it, so I loaned it to her.  She downloaded it, and after a few weeks, she'd incorporated quite a bit of it into a new playlist for the class and it's just incredible.  Totally unexpected, non-traditional music, and I'm very happy that I helped contribute to this enhancement.   The album is "Blue Lines" from Massive Attack.  

Also, I recently wrote a letter to a very special, radiant, 2012 high school graduate.   To close the letter, I used a few lines from a song that's on Keane's new album, "Strangeland"; so perfect, I was smiling as I wrote them down.  YES, I wrote the letter in long-hand, a rare art.   Took a lot out of me.  :P

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

This forum turned me on to Morphine.

I've made a number of suggestions to others, some hit's some misses - in their opinion.

I've suggested Lindsey Buckingham solo stuff and the common response has been "I didn't know how good a guitarist he is..."

I've suggested others too - New Order, YAZ, Michelle Williams (Boston Chick), Joe Jackson, Chickenfoot, J. Geils among others...I can only suggest but in the age of "ripping" a CD I usually offer a copy to test drive the band/artist.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have probably turned more of my family's younger generations onto Queen more than anything. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Your influence and inspiration: Music recommendations that took hold?:
    [QUOTE]I have probably turned more of my family's younger generations onto Queen more than anything. 
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Worked for me.  Not that I didn't appreciate Queen, but not the way I do now.  :)

As for the Music Forum, I can count, offhand, nine (9) artists whom I either (1) barely knew existed or (2) knew of, maybe even owned one CD in some cases, but never pursued, that I now own and in each and every case, think are amazing.   If I went to list them more methodically, there'd no doubt be more than nine.  If I were paying for music advice or critique, it's implausible it could or would be superior to what is offered here.  :)

This doesn't even count what I have on the "back burner" in terms of trying more before I buy, because that list is significant, too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I turned my daughter on to the Clash when she was about 7.. They remian one of her favorites. She plays guitar, piano and sings and looks at the Clash as an influence on the miusic she plays..She also did a high school report on Joe Strummer (which she received an A).. We share the smae taste in music which has been awesome. She is 18 now and about to go off to college.. Whenever I hear certian artists I think of her and will continue. She has turned me on to many bands of today I normally wouldn't have probably listened to. one being The National.. I have also refrenced quotes from the great poet (I think he is a poet) Shane MacGowan..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

A co-worker of mine is a young guitarist in what he calls a "Doom Metal" band. I've heard their 4 song demo disc and these guys are good. They are based in Newport, R.I. Perhaps you will hear of them someday.

Anyway, here at work , we talk Rock music alot. I mentioned Rory Gallagher to him one day, awhile back. He had never heard of him...now he's a huge fan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

It's not so much my influence, but what other's have taught me. My brother turned me on to so many great musicians/bands. He also took me too see my first rock concerts.

It was also my first music teacher who introduced me to so many great artists and taught me to read music so that I could actually appreciate what I was learning. I can't thank him enough. Greg's post reminded me of him teaching Sad Lisa by Cat Stevens, and pounding the melody into my mind, and any time I hear that song, I laugh. 

This forum has opened my eyes to a lot new/old music as well.

As for recommendations, well I have made many, and some have taken hold, others not. My circle is pretty astute music wise, so most of what I like they already know.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm copying this from a post I did in another thread.

"A good friend of mine played in some covers bands about thirty years ago. I’ve known him since elementary school. He’s a good musician, but more importantly to our friendship, he’s a serious music fan and consumer. I will concede that he knows more about music than I do. Not just because he plays it, but because of his appetite for it. In the glory days, we spent many evenings at his house playing albums and getting wasted. (Sound familiar, anyone?) We were a little competitive about how knowledgable we were about the best music out there at the time. ‘Hey, wait till I play you this song, man.’ We would have debates on who was the greatest guitarist, the best solos, the best riffs."

My friend, Frank, was something of a mentor when it came to rock music.  He introduced me to artists like Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore and Tommy Bolin.  The only artist I think I introduced him to that had a big impact on him was 10CC. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]This forum has opened my eyes to a lot new/old music as well. As for recommendations, well I have made many, and some have taken hold, others not. My circle is pretty astute music wise, so most of what I like they already know.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Lush (Spooky), anyone?  :)    Got lucky with this pre-owned gem; still hoping to land another.  

Florence and TM -- been growing on me immensely.  

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

NOTE: I really enjoy it when the on line post has a link to a video of the artist they suggest is included in the post...I know Slim has offered some great suggestions and yogafriend too - among others. It can be "mind" opening!

Keep 'em coming!

Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]NOTE: I really enjoy it when the on line post has a link to a video of the artist they suggest is included in the post...I know Slim has offered some great suggestions and yogafriend too - among others. It can be "mind" opening! Keep 'em coming!
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for mentioning this, Rog.  I so agree;  I've laughed out loud at some of the music comedy links, too.  It's nice to know that they're all appreciated. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Too many to count, though I've noticed time is sometimes the most accurate arbiter of tastes with music.

Younger family members are somewhat easier, if eclectic, so I've had success there with everyone from the Stones to Sonic Youth to Serge Gainsbourg.

Friends are widespread and have much more eclectic tastes, so we trade off a lot.  I recently turned on a devoted hip-hop/dance lover to the wonder of jam bands and the Dead, and he's coming along quite nicely.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Response to Re: Your influence and inspiration: Music recommendations that took hold?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your influence and inspiration: Music recommendations that took hold? : Lush (Spooky), anyone?  :)    Got lucky with this pre-owned gem; still hoping to land another.   Florence and TM -- been growing on me immensely.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

@Yoga- You got me to re-think bands like Keane and Massive Attack, so we are even :) Speaking of Lush, how can a band with so many great songs, be so under the radar--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gxpqBXy7dw&feature=related

Edit /> Going to see FATM in September. This is one show I am really looking forward to.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE] Response to Re: Your influence and inspiration: Music recommendations that took hold? : @Yoga- You got me to re-think certain bands like Keane and Massive Attack, so we are even :) Speaking of Lush, how can a band with so many great songs, be so under the radar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gxpqBXy7dw&feature=related Edit /> Going to see FATM in September. One show I am really looking forward to.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Oh, thanks; great song.  When you brought up Lush the first time, I looked them up and it seems that they have a very loyal (if not elite) following. :)  The album I would like to get hold of is "Gala" -- at some point.  

Glad to have put a spotlight on a few bands along the way.  :)  I'll be surprised if you don't have a good review of the FATM concert; hope you'll let us know.