Your top 5 favorite classical pieces

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

Your top 5 favorite classical pieces

Now this is totally subjective. Not a thread about the best classical pieces, but simply your favorite. Interested in knowing what others are.

Here are mine (not in any special order either):

Monteverdi---Amore

Bach---Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D Major (Air)

Beethoven Symphony No. 7

Liszt--- Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2

Bach--- The Passion of St. John Passion

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Your top 5 favorite classical pieces

Honestly , while I find the music enjoyable, I am in no way educated enough on the titles and artists to know the names.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Impossible to list only 5; I'll defer to those which I've been most intrigued by recently (baroque):

"Concerto for Two Violins in A Minor, Op. 3, No. 8 - 2. Larghetto e spiritoso - Vivaldi

"12 Etudes Op. 10" - Chopin

"Symphony No. 41 in C Major (Jupiter)" - Mozart

"Piano Sonata No. 8 - 'Pathetique'" - Beethoven

"Piano Concerto in A Minor" - Grieg

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

In Response to Re: Your top 5 favorite classical pieces:
    [QUOTE]Impossible to list only 5; I'll defer to those which I've been most intrigued by recently (baroque): "Concerto for Two Violins in A Minor, Op. 3, No. 8 - 2. Larghetto e spiritoso - Vivaldi "12 Etudes Op. 10" - Chopin "Symphony No. 41 in C Major (Jupiter)" - Mozart "Piano Sonata No. 8 - 'Pathetique'" - Beethoven "Piano Concerto in A Minor" - Grieg
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

I deliberately set the number low so it would be a squeeze.

Crieg is excellent. I was deabting whether or not to include him on my list.  Vivaldi is another. I really think the 4 Seasons is one of the best concertos ever written.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]Honestly , while I find the music enjoyable, I am in no way educated enough on the titles and artists to know the names.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

You don't have to be knowledgeable to say which ones you like. If you can't remember the name, you can describe it and maybe others can help narrow it down for you. I know there are tons of songs I know I like, buy couldn't tell you the names to.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your top 5 favorite classical pieces : You don't have to be knowledgeable to say which ones you like. If you can't remember the name, you can describe it and maybe others can help narrow it down for you. I know there are tons of songs I know I like, buy couldn't tell you the names to.
    Posted by ForumCleaner[/QUOTE]

A long time ago, I bought a 'silver screen classics' disc which helped me put a name to songs I had been hearing for quite some time in movies and elsewhere; it really helped me single out composers that I liked and pieces I could relate to.

The amazing part was just how many classical works were fully ingrained in my consciousness just from watching cartoons as a boy...!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your top 5 favorite classical pieces : A long time ago, I bought a 'silver screen classics' disc which helped me put a name to songs I had been hearing for quite some time in movies and elsewhere; it really helped me single out composers that I liked and pieces I could relate to. The amazing part was just how many classical works were fully ingrained in my consciousness just from watching cartoons as a boy...!
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think because so much of it is public domain, Classical has made it into lots of our movies and cartoons. One ofthe reasons Hungarian Rhapsody leapt to mind was because of looney tunes:

http://fliiby.com/file/903768/ylw7chdqfg.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Beethoven - Symphony No. 9
    Debussy - Clair de Lune
    Bach - Brandenburg Concertos (selected)
    Handel - Water Music
    Mussgorsky - Pictures at an Exhibition (selected)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

a few favorites include:

Ave Maria (sung by Luciano Pavarotti)
    Trumpet Sonata in D Major G. 1 (especially the 4th mvt)- Giuseppe Torelli
    Concerto Grosso op. 6 (Allegro) -  Arcangelo Corelli
    Clair de Lune (favorite since I was a child)-    Claude Debussy
    Adagio for Strings - Samuel Barber

I'm sure Zilla would recognize some of these pieces. 

I was in all sorts of musical groups growing up: choir, concert choir, glee club, madrigals, school plays, all-school opera sing events (chorus), musicals, etc., and it is amazing all the classical music I was exposed to and recognized later  in my life.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I own just about all of JS Bach's works, and it's mostly what I listen to while I work. Bach's music is said to stimulate your thinking, and I need
    all the help I can get.

* St. John Passion - BWV 245 (JS Bach)
    * Mass in D Minor - BWV 232 (JS Bach)
    * Orchestral Suite III in D Major - BWV 1068 (JS Bach) 
    * Adagio in G Minor (Albinoni)
    * Goldberg Variations Arrangement For Strings - BWV 988 (JS Bach)

There are many variations of Bach's Air from BWV 1068, but I like one's with a string arrangement like this one the most:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2j-frfK-yg

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Fanfare for the Common Man

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

• Ravel's  Bolero
    • Eine Kleine Nacht Music  by Mozart  
    • The Wedding March from Midsummer's Night Dream  by Felix Mendelssohn
    • Thus Spake Zarathustra (Sunrise Song or Elvis' Intro or 2001 Space Odyssey Theme Song)   by Richard Strauss
    • music from the opera Tristan Und Isolde  by Richard Wagner
    • Vienna Waltzes  by Johann Strauss Jr., Franz Lehar and Richard Strauss
    • honestly I only know a limited amount of information about Classical Music but I appreciate much of it for being great listening music 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Well, I've always been partial to Flight of the Valkyries by Wagner...and there was this one really cool piece my sensei would play from time to time...but I have no idea what it's called...he just called it Ryuu....and I've always been a bit partial to the music from Musume Dojoji, but that's because a friend of mine once made a joke since I was the only girl in my dojo (I do want to go on record to say that my life was nothing like the title character's...)

...(it should be noted that I'm no expert in Japanese classical music or Kabuki....er)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Domenico Scarlatti - Sonata in D Major -- Mikhail Pletnev
    J.S. Bach - Partita in D Minor -- Pepe Romero
    Handel - Suites II in B Flat Major -- Keith Jarrett
    J.S. Bach - Sonata in B Minor -- James Galway
    Vivaldi - The Four Seasons -- just about anyone

I have also read that classical music stimulates the brain, especially Baroque music such as Bach, which has some "mathematical" implications, such as counterpoint. I listen to classical almost exclusively when at work.

I also started my love affair of music with classical, playing trumpet and trying my hand at piano and percussion, which I still wish I could play well enough to say I actually play...my poor keyboard deserves a better home.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Would this be a bad place to admit that I am a giant fan of the Ballet and the combination of Classical Music and the Ballet is freekin heaven.

Are you all going to abuse me now? My ex-wife was a ballerina - what can I tell you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Would this be a bad place to admit that I am a giant fan of the Ballet and the combination of Classical Music and the Ballet is freekin heaven. Are you all going to abuse me now? My ex-wife was a ballerina - what can I tell you.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Actually, it makes me respect you.   I'm not even sure this surprises me ...

While ballet is not my favorite form of dance, I think dancers trained in ballet have a certain foundation other dancers may not have.  I had a "ballerina" bedroom when I was a little girl and took ballet lessons.   Not enough talent to pursue, though!  Smile

Also, since practicing power yoga for a number of years, I can see yoga in ballet, ice skating, gymnastics, etc., and that's made me appreciate the hard work even more.

No abuse from me, my friend!  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your top 5 favorite classical pieces : Actually, it makes me respect you.   I'm not even sure this surprises me ... While ballet is not my favorite form of dance, I think dancers trained in ballet have a certain foundation other dancers may not have.  I had a "ballerina" bedroom when I was a little girl and took ballet lessons.   Not enough talent to pursue, though!  Also, since practicing power yoga for a number of years, I can see yoga in ballet, ice skating, gymnastics, etc., and that's made me appreciate the hard work even more. No abuse from me, my friend!  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Bless you for going easy on me.

So you are saying you didn't respect me before Cry lol

You probably thought I would have said that ballerina's are hot. Well they are.

Tongue out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]Domenico Scarlatti - Sonata in D Major -- Mikhail Pletnev J.S. Bach - Partita in D Minor -- Pepe Romero Handel - Suites II in B Flat Major -- Keith Jarrett J.S. Bach - Sonata in B Minor -- James Galway Vivaldi - The Four Seasons -- just about anyone I have also read that classical music stimulates the brain, especially Baroque music such as Bach, which has some "mathematical" implications, such as counterpoint. I listen to classical almost exclusively when at work. I also started my love affair of music with classical, playing trumpet and trying my hand at piano and percussion, which I still wish I could play well enough to say I actually play...my poor keyboard deserves a better home.
    Posted by softwareDevMusician[/QUOTE]

I haven't read any recent studies, but I did recently read an article claiming that this theory about classical being good for your brain was based on flawed research. However, there are some reputable studies which show people who lean tonal languages (like mandarin) growing up, have a lower rate of schizophrenia. I don't think this has been explored, but they wondered whether learning music as a child would have a siimliar effect.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your top 5 favorite classical pieces : I haven't read any recent studies, but I did recently read an article claiming that this theory about classical being good for your brain was based on flawed research. However, there are some reputable studies which show people who lean tonal languages (like mandarin) growing up, have a lower rate of schizophrenia. I don't think this has been explored, but they wondered whether learning music as a child would have a siimliar effect.

I think it's probably difficult to prove since it is so subjective. I think one of the studies I read about was performed on mice, and another suggested that plants respond more favorably to classical than to rock or pop. I think it helps me in that it provides some subtle background that masks other distractions, and all the classical I listen to is strictly instrumental. Mostly solo piano or solo guitar, but the combination of flute and harpsichord is very soothing as well (Galway playing Bach).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I had a co-worker who had a young child, and she said she only played classical music during her pregnancy, and then at home when he was small.

One day, he walked over to the radio, and started to turn the knob -- until it landed on a rock music station.   He left it there.  She said he also started to kind of rock to the music.

So maybe listening to classical pre-birth and for a few years afterwards made him smart enough to explore, but she said he had NEVER heard rock music in his life (to her knowledge)  before he did this!

This is a true story.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Here is a snippet that comes from an article on the top 10 brain enhancers:

Music and brain stimulation remains somewhat of a controversial topic, however it is now widely accepted and confirmed by research that certain types of music will cause your brain to function at a different level. There is some new research of brain waves that especially confirms this. Classical music, especially by Mozart, is the current most widely accepted music for positive brain stimulation; although most if not all music stimulates the brain in one way or another. An even better approach here is to learn to play an instrument like the piano or the guitar. There is massive research that confirms that learning to play an instrument has amazing results on a person’s brain function in all areas of life. A note here to those who cannot stand to listen to classical music, avoid music that is too heavy or fast; soothing background music is best.

I realize this is completely off topic from the OP, but thought it was worth mentioning.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Interesting discussion ... meanwhile back in top 5 land,

Mozart - Symphony No. 41 "Jupiter"
    Schubert - String Quintet in C
    Brahms - Symphony No. 4
    Dvorak - Cello Concerto
    Mahler - Symphony No. 9
    Verdi - Otello
    Stravinsky - Le Sacre du Printemps
    Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra
    Britten - War Requiem

Oops ... can't count.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Here is a snippet that comes from an article on the top 10 brain enhancers: Music and brain stimulation remains somewhat of a controversial topic, however it is now widely accepted and confirmed by research that certain types of music will cause your brain to function at a different level. There is some new research of brain waves that especially confirms this. Classical music, especially by Mozart, is the current most widely accepted music for positive brain stimulation; although most if not all music stimulates the brain in one way or another. An even better approach here is to learn to play an instrument like the piano or the guitar. There is massive research that confirms that learning to play an instrument has amazing results on a person’s brain function in all areas of life. A note here to those who cannot stand to listen to classical music, avoid music that is too heavy or fast; soothing background music is best. I realize this is completely off topic from the OP, but thought it was worth mentioning.
    Posted by softwareDevMusician[/QUOTE]

I find Bach's Brandenburg Concertos are really stimulating for the brain.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

In Response to Your top 5 favorite classical pieces:
    [QUOTE]Now this is totally subjective. Not a thread about the best classical pieces, but simply your favorite. Interested in knowing what others are. Here are mine (not in any special order either): Monteverdi---Amore Bach---Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D Major (Air) Beethoven Symphony No. 7 Liszt--- Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 Bach--- The Passion of St. John Passion

A few...

Rostropovich playing Dvorak.  Concerto in B minor and Cello Concerto #1.  Godly.

Yo Yo Ma playing Bach Cello Suites 1-6; there are two recordings I know of, and the one where he was younger is better.

Mozart: Horn Concertos

Yasha Heifetz - there is a CD where he plays a series of old Jewish pieces.  Blissfully sad.  And of course, Heifetz is a master above masters.  Name of it not on my ipod .... but at home.

Dvorak String Quartet No. 12; Bartok string quartert

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]I had a co-worker who had a young child, and she said she only played classical music during her pregnancy, and then at home when he was small. One day, he walked over to the radio, and started to turn the knob -- until it landed on a rock music station.   He left it there.  She said he also started to kind of rock to the music. So maybe listening to classical pre-birth and for a few years afterwards made him smart enough to explore, but she said he had NEVER heard rock music in his life (to her knowledge)  before he did this! This is a true story.   
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I had a friend who listened only to mozart during her pregnancy. When the child was six, he listened to Mozart's Requem Mass in D minor for the first time. Dropped stone dead.