Your top pick for the most universally loved rock artists

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Your top pick for the most universally loved rock artists

Aside from the Beatles, who are the most universally loved rock artists (in your estimation) ?  

Could be any type of rock or pop, blues, living or dead, still playing, or long gone.    This isn't just about the lowest common denominator of popularity, or being well-known, but feeling that the music brings a universally loved response.

NOTE: Not everyone loves the Beatles, certainly, but as far as universal love is concerned, they own the title.

Name your top 3 picks, and if you feel strongly about a few more, feel free to name them.  The more unusual, the better (too bad Zilla isn't here to weigh in ...)
    My top picks for this category:

Led Zeppelin 
    ABBA
    CCR

"Darling, he's still dangerous."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

Re: Your top pick for the most universally loved rock artists

The Velvet Underground

Black Sabbath

Radiohead

I picked these 3 because they all seemed to be loved by critics, and have big enough fan bases that adore them. Plus they were/are very influential in their own ways. VU being sort of the first alt/rock band. Sabbath being arguably the first metal band, and Radiohead crossing over from rock to electronic and back again. I think most casual music fans would know and love these artists, along with music nerds like myself.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Chuck Berry - The grandfather of rock and roll IMHO. 

Neil Young - He transcends all the genres of rock with his body of work 

Grateful Dead - Probably the band with the most devoted fans in Rock

"Another day closer to the parade"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In descending order of horribleness, queued up on the road to Hell, of "universally loved" "rock" artists:

REO Kansas Foreigner Coldplay Starship
    Paedophile Michael Jackson
    Wife beating junkie James Brown
    Tax dodging hypocrites U2

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In descending order of horribleness, queued up on the road to Hell, of "universally loved" "rock" artists:

[/QUOTE]

Oh boy. 

RE: Coldplay: Regardless of their popularity, I have reason to believe they are on quite a few "most hated" (or disliked) bands lists.   But what do I know? 

RE: MJ:  Only recently have I realized the entire purpose of his music is a vehicle for dancing.   His appeal has always been a mystery to me, but otherwise, I think he's a very good choice, dear. 

BTW, I put ABBA on my list "channeling" Zilla, because he always took delight in letting us know how much he liked them; they have remarkable universal appeal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Rich1273's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Velvet Underground

Black Sabbath

Radiohead

I picked these 3 because they all seemed to be loved by critics, and have big enough fan bases that adore them. Plus they were/are very influential in their own ways. VU being sort of the first alt/rock band. Sabbath being arguably the first metal band, and Radiohead crossing over from rock to electronic and back again. I think most casual music fans would know and love these artists, along with music nerds like myself.

[/QUOTE]

Radiohead is a very substantial choice: they have amazing appeal across all rock genres.   I know loads of people who still consider them one of their top favorite bands of all time (some of them are nerds for sure).   Radiohead has a very nerdy following. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Chuck Berry - The grandfather of rock and roll IMHO. 

Neil Young - He transcends all the genres of rock with his body of work 

Grateful Dead - Probably the band with the most devoted fans in Rock

[/QUOTE]

Nice choices.  I was tempted to put the GD on my list, too.

I'm sort of surprised you didn't include the RHCP.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

"but feeling that the music brings a universally loved response"   

Is six okay? (:Two sets of three :)

Bob Dylan 

Queen 

Ronstadt (something for everyone)

David Bowie (ditto)

Beyonce (a force of nature imho)

Muse   (I think passed over by genBaBoom; their loss.  I guess that disqualifies it from 'universally"  ::pout::

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Pink Floyd

The Rolling Stones

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

James Brown!?! James Brown?!!??!! Please don't lump him in with the ordinary pop stars, despite your disapproval of his personal morals. James Brown is the Godfather of Soul and Funk and Rap, etc. Great, great performer. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I'll add a few more:

Buddy Holly

The Beach Boys

Otis Redding

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Beatles

Jimi Hendrix

Elton John

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

How could I forget the King himself, Elvis Presley. If there is any performer who is up there with the Beatles for being universally loved, Elvis is the man. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ABBA?

That's weird.   They were a gimmick act in a disco era. I can think of so many people who hated them as much as people who loved them.

The Bee Gees are another.  KISS is another. 

I think the Beatles is right on.  The Stones were another that really reasonated for obvious reasons. Fleetwood Mac.  They crossed over and connected. 

It's a hard category because there are some great, great bands or artists in the all time pantheon, but some of the best are not cross-over worthy. Pink Floyd doesn't do it. Traffic is another.  Amazing bands that don't appeal to the masses.

The Grateful Dead are loved by so many, they should cross over, but they don't.  They're like licorice as Garcia said.   He was right. 

I like your CCR choice.  Good example. Very underrated for an AMerican band, too. Short run, but a tremendous band.  The Eagles should be mentioned.     They had rock and country cross-over which took up a lot of what people looked for in rock and roll at that time.

U2 might be another for different reasons.

Michael Jackson has to be on the list. 

This thread could go on for days.

[/QUOTE]

RE: ABBA.  I was "channeling" our (lost) friend Zilla on that one, but I do maintain they are remarkably well-loved and cross the genres with ease in terms of popularity.   I did not say you have to *like* the artists that you name, either.  Just recognize them.   There are some obvious choices, but the "surprise" choices are fun to see.   NOTE: I am trying to "smoke" out Zilla, just in case he is reading / lurking.   No luck so far.  I'm not giving up.  :D

Thanks re: CCR.   The classic hits are still going strong, and they cross all generations now.   They immediately came to mind.

Eagles are an inspired choice.   Fleetwood Mac, top choice for sure.   I would have put them on my short list, if they'd sprung to mind.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How could I forget the King himself, Elvis Presley. If there is any performer who is up there with the Beatles for being universally loved, Elvis is the man. 

[/QUOTE]

Man, it would have made zero sense to me if you'd neglected this one.  :)   Re: James Brown and Sonics' comment.  I'll let you handle that.   hahah.  

How about Aretha Franklin?  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Elton John

The Eagles

Johnny Cash

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Man, it would have made zero sense to me if you'd neglected this one.  :)   Re: James Brown and Sonics' comment.  I'll let you handle that.   hahah.  

How about Aretha Franklin?  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after I added Otis Redding I immediately thought of Aretha. I should have just added her to the list. Shame on me!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Hope that Yoga doesn't mind if I twist this a bit - tried to think of the 3 artists that have the greatest number of tracks that would be immediately recognized as being by that artist by all of: my 77 year old father, my 20-something nieces and my numerous non-musician non-native English speaking friends from various corners of the globe.  My conclusion is (in no particular order):

The Beatles

Michael Jackson

Elton John

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimV7. Show SlimV7's posts

In response to newman09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Elton John

The Eagles

Johnny Cash

[/QUOTE]

Excellent.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Eagles are a slightly contentious pick IMO.  They are well-loved by millions, without a doubt.  But compared to some of the other artists they also have a fairly significant contingent of detractors/haters.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There are some artists that almost nobody can say a bad thing about, like CCR. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimV7. Show SlimV7's posts

Yup CCR fits, I can't think of anyone I know who has anything bad to say about them.  Johnny Cash too, although I guess he wasn't a Rock Artist.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SlimV7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yup CCR fits, I can't think of anyone I know who has anything bad to say about them.  Johnny Cash too, although I guess he wasn't a Rock Artist.

[/QUOTE]

I was going to mention Cash as well.  But then I remembered how my father used to complain that he sang in a monotone LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Eagles are a slightly contentious pick IMO.  They are well-loved by millions, without a doubt.  But compared to some of the other artists they also have a fairly significant contingent of detractors/haters.

[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean.   Back in their day, they seem to have created a whole new "formula" of rock music that became highly influential, despite what a polarizing person Don Henley became (and still seems to be).   Certainly in comparison to other groups, they're not as centered as "universally" loved.

BTW, re: CCR:  If you have any interest, John Fogarty is going to be in Halifax in November, touring in "Live Across Canada" , performing the songs of CCR -- not sure how close you are to the venue, or how you feel about seeing him, but if you're interested:

http://www.johnfogerty.com" rel="nofollow">http://www.johnfogerty.com

Sections
Shortcuts