Zillagod and jesseyeric: MIA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Zillagod and jesseyeric: MIA

I'm afraid the big changes made to the BDC forums have driven away our founding fathers. Most disappointing is how this occurred shortly after their emotional reunion took place. I am sending out this special song to the two great posters who were the driving forces in breathing life into the music forum. Please come back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYsKDaQIX54

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Zillagod and jesseyeric: MIA

Jess, we missed ya buddy!. Looks like Zilla could be gone for good. I think all the changes to the forums were just too much for him. We need you guys back. The music forum ain't the same without you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Does this mean the rest of us are chopped liver?  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Of course not! But I do miss our two founders. It really looks as if Zilla may never return. We still have a good group but the turmoil of the forum changes seems to have really put a crimp on us. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to WhatNowDoYouWant's comment:

I'm just waiting for another philosophy-prone subject...   

Why not get out of "react" mode and be proactive and start a thread.   If you want to discuss something on a philosophical level, then what are you "waiting" for?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Of course not! But I do miss our two founders. It really looks as if Zilla may never return. We still have a good group but the turmoil of the forum changes seems to have really put a crimp on us. 

I was just kidding (and surprised that the emoticons were working -- it's been a while).   Your sincerity speaks for itself, and I know you value everyone here.   Believe me, I feel just as forlorn as you do re: Zilla, let alone JE, but I have not given up hope.   One thing I do know for certain:  Zilla didn't leave this forum b/c of anyone here.   I agree that the BDC transition has been very discouraging, and even now, I have continued issues, although I seem to be able to resolve them.  

In the meantime, our founders may be gone, but certainly not forgotten, and all we can do is carry on.  I'm not particularly motivated to start any threads, because honestly, no one seems to be dropping by.  

We also haven't seen MrMojo in a very long time, although this may be a busy time of year for him, work-wise.  Not sure if he's been seen on the Sox forum, but I hope he's okay.   

Maybe a light-hearted song thread will get a few people to come out of the wood work.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I cannot elaborate. 

I have "gone dark" for numerous reasons.

Researching various subjects has led me to answers that greatly increase my paranoia. The format change was a good opportunity to "back off" and examine what I have been revealing about myself online ( on these forums only). I have been posting haphazardly under the impression that these conversations are strictly between "friends", however, since this idle chatter is most certainly being mined and our conversations are by no means even close to private or semi-private, I have strong reservations about any further posting of my opinions ( harmless as they may be). 

Sorry friends, I wish we had met in real life instead of cyberspace...I feel I would have enjoyed talking with many of you in person.

Just think of me as a fictional character that crawled out of the sea and then returned home, because of no longer feeling comfortable sharing personal feelings to the general public.

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I cannot elaborate. 

Researching various subjects has led me to answers that greatly increase my paranoia. The format change was a good opportunity to "back off" and examine what I have been revealing about myself online ( on these forums only). I have been posting haphazardly under the impression that these conversations are strictly between "friends", however, since this idle chatter is most certainly being mined and our conversations are by no means even close to private or semi-private, I have strong reservations about any further posting of my opinions ( harmless as they may be). 

Sorry friends, I wish we had met in real life instead of cyberspace...I feel I would have enjoyed talking with many of you in person.

Just think of me as a fictional character that crawled out of the sea and then returned home, because of no longer feeling comfortable sharing personal feelings to the general public.

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

Zill, buddy! So good to hear from you. I'm disappointed that paranoia has struck deep in your heart. We will miss you. Feel free to lurk and drop the occasional wordless post now and then so we'll know you're still out there. Activity has really dropped off since you left and the forums were drastically altered. Here is a song for ya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WJ6FbcWYRU

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I'm kinda lost on how having an opinion - good or bad would make one paranoid????

This is "just" a forum to express opinions regarding music. And while I agree, there is nothing private about it, I don't believe I have written/posted that could be misconstrued as "tyrannical" or "threatening" to anyone.

I have read a number of your post's Zilla and what I hear is a guy who loves music and offers an insightful intelligent opinion or thread.

Now yogafriend, she's another story!...........................jk ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I cannot elaborate. 

My dear Zilla  What can I say?   We may not "always have Paris" but we will "always have the Byrds."   You know, the lads from England, who, in a song they popularized more than any other group, said: "to everything there is a season, and a time for everything under heaven" ... crazy that a band could ever take a song, based on a bible verse, and make it a beloved classic hit.  Well, those "English" bands had that knack, you know?! 

I understand, and if I didn't respect you as much as I do, I'd try to "guilt" you right now, but I know better, because regardless of the respect issue, you're someone who knows his own mind, and stands his ground.  I didn't watch it, but there was a segment on "60 Minutes" (the show I ha-a-a-ate!) on data mining, and other than that, we have all had to abandon the idea that we have any privacy online any more, and that we all post at our own risk. 

There is a commenter I absolutely love (I quote him once in a while, he's so good), who has said that no one is really anonymous -- just because we don't post under our "real" names" -- we still establish an identity online, whether it is hateful, benevolent, sarcastic, etc., we become "known" for what we bring into our comments.  It is only a fool who thinks they are anonymous, in the true sense.

All of the forums, save the sports forums, have become a mere shell of what they once were, and if it weren't for the idea that we raised the bar on discussions here, it would not represent as much of a loss.  

It would be truly great, if not plain fun, if you "appear" from the darkness once in a while, as DD said, and gave us a "sign", even if you leave the comment box blank, or just leave your mark ... "X" marks the spot?   But if you disappear now, I am good with that, and appreciate that you at least, made it official, because now at least we know you're okay.   

Here's a song I dedicate to you:  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ga_M5Zdn4" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ga_M5Zdn4

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

I'm kinda lost on how having an opinion - good or bad would make one paranoid????

This is "just" a forum to express opinions regarding music. And while I agree, there is nothing private about it, I don't believe I have written/posted that could be misconstrued as "tyrannical" or "threatening" to anyone.

I have read a number of your post's Zilla and what I hear is a guy who loves music and offers an insightful intelligent opinion or thread.

Now that I've stopped laughing (very funny, Rog), I hate to tell you, but your online comments (ALL of them)  have been put into an international top secret database, with all fans of Queen.   Your behavior is being studied ... since it's been determined that long-term fans of Queen are frequently linked to being secret fans of Justin Bieber, and that is a cause of concern for the advancement of pop music.    One of these days, you may get a knock on the door ...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Zilla. You need to learn how computer hackers operate. I'm referring to how they hide their IP and MAC addresses so that nobody knows the location of their computer. Both IP and MAC addresses are easily spoofed and good people do so in order to access sites restricted in their areas (examples include watching free wholesome movies or NFL games online).

Research stuff like:

• VPNs (Virtual Private Networks)
    • Virtual Computers (VMWare Player is a free download)
    • Servers such as Windows Server to be installed in your Virtual PC (though that can be expensive)

When the new BDC came out you probably noticed the page sources of BDC pages and noticed they have a program that collects personal information from your computer (mostly web pages you frequent and your location ... they're not going to know which street or house just city at best). I once looked at all that stuff, but all BDC and all other websites are trying to do is mainly gather information to know relevant pop-up advertisements to forward to your computer. It's mainly a money thing and nothing else to worry about.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

Now that I've stopped laughing (very funny, Rog), I hate to tell you, but your online comments (ALL of them)  have been put into an international top secret database, with all fans of Queen.   Your behavior is being studied ... since it's been determined that long-term fans of Queen are frequently linked to being secret fans of Justin Bieber, and that is a cause of concern for the advancement of pop music.    One of these days, you may get a knock on the door ...

Justin Bieber? That's hitting below the belt.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimV7. Show SlimV7's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:

Actually Klaus, none of that stuff you mentioned is going to hide his IP.   Something like 'tor'  https://tor.eff.org would be useful though.

Proxy Servers are another tool.

And for Z, I recommend adding a tin foil hat to wear as added precaution.  ;-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SlimV7's comment:

In response to Klaas' comment:

Actually Klaus, none of that stuff you mentioned is going to hide his IP.   Something like 'tor'  https://tor.eff.org" rel="nofollow">https://tor.eff.org" rel="nofollow">https://tor.eff.org would be useful though.

Proxy Servers are another tool.

And for Z, I recommend adding a tin foil hat to wear as added precaution.  ;-) 

Isn't it correct, though, that the IP address does not provide specific information re: your concise place of residence?   I do agree that the marketing has become horrendous in terms of ads posted to the pages you land on, based on websites you've viewed.  

Zilla may also have become more aware / paranoid re: posting from his work computer, perhaps, since he always posted during the day, (on a disciplined basis, during his lunch break, etc.)   Maybe something happened at his place of employment?   He's obviously not blocked from this site, but he might have found out that the IT people trace employee activity on a general basis, and his time spent here is viewable.   Based on his posting times and habits, could it be related to his place of employment?  

Anything other than a tin foil hat that you'd recommend?  I don't look good in them.  :P

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimV7. Show SlimV7's posts

I recommended 'tor'.  It's as good a tool as you'll find.  Painless to install.  If he's only posting from work (mostly that's all I do too) then his mileage may vary.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Not that this will change any opinions but:

Ah.....who is mining music discussions for what? BDC mining to place targetted ads?

I get "paranoia" (although it isn't paranoia technically) about the NSA having all your emails, IMs, texts, etc.

I don't get concern about someone knowing that I think Bieber is crap but Bonamassa is great....  at all. 

Basically, if you ever use any form of electronic communication to say anything of importance, how can you be paranoid about a BDC music discussion? The government has far more personal info already.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Another thing. I find that the BDC ads I get when I'm logged into BDC depends on what computer I'm using. Quite obviously BDC does not have tabs on me. If I use my computer at work I get accounting related software popups. I never get that on any other computer I use when logged into BDC. Thus I would say BDC's popups uses info from the web browser from the computer you are using (which can always be deleted).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Slim. You're right about VPNs and virtual compters or virtual servers not changing IP addresses to the outside world. Somehow I always get proxy servers mixed up with VPNs even though they are totally different. I made my ill advised post after jogging for exactly 100 minutes (that's when I usually make my posts).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimV7. Show SlimV7's posts

Klaas I use the 'Adblock' plugin with Firefox and haven't seen an annoying popup anywhere in ages. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank N Stein. Show Frank N Stein's posts

He says "researching various subjects." I don't think popups or ads are the issue. We do have to reveal personal information in order to sign up. Like Zilla , I prefer to use a vague fictional character as my screen name and a funny picture. There is a fine line between posting on sensitive issues and having a little fun. I don't comment often but read many posts, Mr. Zilla has some strong opinions on baseball and politics , and seems extremely well versed in Rock music, however his strong opinions can be upsetting at times to sensitive posters. I think maybe the fact that these ( or any social media) are not in any way confidential , combined with the fact that somewhere is a file with our personal information , combined with having strong opinions that can be taken the wrong way by hostile posters ....well this can be a good reason to examine what we are posting and take a minute to ask " is any of this really worthwhile? ...and who besides the fellow posters are reading it?

I feel maybe I will never know if Zilla really feels this way, but if you read the news at all or watch T.V., you know that there is lots of advertising to get people using internet,GPS, Smartphones and other gadgets that make your life less private and your activities easier for the authorities to track and monitor. And what is the real reason we have satellites that can count the hairs on the back of your neck while you walk up your driveway? What is the real reason why they use drones? It's 1984 folks...only worse.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Zilla and I have always gotten along very well, except for when he used to vilify J. D. Drew.  But that's for another forum.

Zilla's screen name, of course, is derived from BOC's live version of their song Godzilla.  I am a huge BOC fan, in fact, they're my second favorite band after the boys from Liverpool.  I think I'm a bigger BOC fan than Zilla is, with regard to their musical abilities at least.  I think what he likes is that many of their songs have science fiction themes, and he is a huge science fiction fan.  Science fiction has a lot of themes about paranoia, conspiracy and Big Brother, of course.

Not that paranoia isn't pretty much justified in this world we inhabit.

We miss ya here buddy. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Hey DD - thanks for the thread. I am not dead yet. And certainly not worried about the Dream Police that might be out there lurking on the Web. I would imagine that those people who might want to know me already do.

How are you all? I hope you have had a rocking summer. I wish there was something new to report here. I have been dealing with some medical issues, nothing life threatening but certainly causing a problem with my Quality of Life. But I am working on those. I am happy to report that I am almost 9 months cigarette free.  So I am kind of checking out things from a new perspective. I miss those ciggy's, but it has been an eye opening experience.My physical reaction to getting rid of this 40 year addiction has been bizarre. Three doctors asked me why I would take on this new stress - pretty funny. One Dr. actually said to start smoking again - I was rolling on the floor laughing.

But as my signature reads - I took myself a small vacation ..................................................................

Don't worry Lizard Face  no one takes us down without a fight.

Thanks guys for thinking about me - I do miss you all. I do stay in touch with Yoshi on Facebook. The music groups and discussions there are pretty cool. If you play in FB world and want to hook up, send me a message here. Now it is time to see what you all have been discussing.

Took myself a small vacation, kind of on investigation. Checking out a new sensation, finding much invigoration. Hand is on the buzzer and i'm walking through the door.

Get high - high - high  on a new thing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

i am thrilled that both Zilla and Jess have both posted on this thread. I am deeply saddened that our beloved Zilla will no longer be gracing us with his presence. His broad encyclopedic knowledge and experience with rock music is remarkable. And his rants would either have you laughing or ready for a passionate debate. And we all just know if we could, we would love to sit down with this interesting guy and have a great time talking about any subject.

Jess, sorry to hear of your health issues. Good luck quitting smoke and trying to get health at the same time. I'm sure it is a challenge. You are the true rocker on the forum, probably having lived rock music more than most of us. your passion and strong opinions come from your personal experience in that world, and bring great perspective to this group.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. Both Zilla and Jess really brought the music forum to life. I knew both of them from the Sox forum and really liked them even if Jess does back the Evil Empire. They became the founders of this forum, as it really didn't take off until they decided to start posting here. They will go down in the history of great partnerships: Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, Lewis and Martin, Rowan and Martin, Lemmon and Matthau, Cheech and Chong, Bert and Ernie. Sadly, their partnership has come to an end. That, combined with the BDC forum change follies, has really cut down on the activity in what was at one time a very active, fun, intelligent forum to post in. I will do my best to keep things alive here, but I just don't have the same leadership qualities our great founders have. 

Just glad to see them post in the same thread one last time. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB4K0scMysc

Sections
Shortcuts