1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quasimodo. Show Quasimodo's posts

Re: North Shore Dining...NOT a CHAIN

The Village Restaurant in Essex. The menu has changed very little over fifty years. That tells me they are doing it right. Real food, not pretentious, located in a picturesque town.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

Pingo, my daughter worked at Chianti's for a while and now is employed by soma -- that's kind of funny that you like both places -- i think soma is wonderful - chianti's was good too -- and i agree with you sue changs in peabody is not good at all

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Luke,
    Have you been to Chianti after they bought the store next door and opened their jazz-bar? So nice to sit there listening to the music with a drink and some appetizers w/o having to wolf down an entire meal. Plus their apps are really great. But it is difficult to pick which one is better than the other. Soma verse Chianti. They are both good.
    And I have to say, the wait staff is wonderful both places. Kudos to your daughter.
     - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quasimodo. Show Quasimodo's posts

In Response to Re: North Shore Dining...NOT a CHAIN:
    Any city or town in Essex County is technically the North Shore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_County,_Massachusetts Cities, towns, and villages* Amesbury incorporated 1666 from Salisbury. Andover incorporated 1646. Shawsheen Village Ballardvale Beverly incorporated 1668 from Salem. Boxford incorporated 1685 from Rowley. Bradford incorporated 1668 from Rowley. Annexed by Haverhill 1897. Danvers incorporated 1757 from Salem. Essex incorporated 1819 from Ipswich. Georgetown incorporated 1838 from Rowley. Gloucester settled 1623. Groveland incorporated 1850 from Bradford. Hamilton incorporated 1793 from Ipswich. Haverhill founded 1640. Ipswich established 1634. Lawrence incorporated 1847 from Methuen and Andover. Lynn established 1629, named Lynn 1637. Lynnfield incorporated 1814 from Lynn. Manchester-by-the-Sea incorporated 1645. Marblehead incorporated 1635. Merrimac incorporated 1876 from Amesbury. Alternatively, also from the Wiki: The Boston Metropolitan Area Planning Council's www.mapc.org/subregions/nstf " class="external text" /> North Shore Task Force , a regional planning agency, defines the North Shore as also encompassing Cape Ann and several inland communities. When combined with the North Shore Chamber of Commerce's definition of the region, the North Shore comprises the following cities and towns:   Amesbury Andover Beverly Boxford Burlington Danvers Essex Georgetown Gloucester Groveland   Hamilton Haverhill Ipswich Lawrence Lynn Lynnfield Manchester Marblehead Merrimac Methuen   Middleton Nahant Newbury Newburyport North Andover North Reading Peabody Reading Revere Rockport   Rowley Salem Salisbury Saugus Stoneham Swampscott Topsfield Wakefield Wenham West Newbury Woburn
    Posted by reindeergirl

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quasimodo. Show Quasimodo's posts

Any city or town in Essex County is technically the North Shore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_County,_Massachusetts Cities, towns, and villages* Amesbury incorporated 1666 from Salisbury. Andover incorporated 1646. Shawsheen Village Ballardvale Beverly incorporated 1668 from Salem. Boxford incorporated 1685 from Rowley. Bradford incorporated 1668 from Rowley. Annexed by Haverhill 1897. Danvers incorporated 1757 from Salem. Essex incorporated 1819 from Ipswich. Georgetown incorporated 1838 from Rowley. Gloucester settled 1623. Groveland incorporated 1850 from Bradford. Hamilton incorporated 1793 from Ipswich. Haverhill founded 1640. Ipswich established 1634. Lawrence incorporated 1847 from Methuen and Andover. Lynn established 1629, named Lynn 1637. Lynnfield incorporated 1814 from Lynn. Manchester-by-the-Sea incorporated 1645. Marblehead incorporated 1635. Merrimac incorporated 1876 from Amesbury. Alternatively, also from the Wiki: The Boston Metropolitan Area Planning Council's www.mapc.org/subregions/nstf " class="external text" /> North Shore Task Force , a regional planning agency, defines the North Shore as also encompassing Cape Ann and several inland communities. When combined with the North Shore Chamber of Commerce's definition of the region, the North Shore comprises the following cities and towns:   Amesbury Andover Beverly Boxford Burlington Danvers Essex Georgetown Gloucester Groveland   Hamilton Haverhill Ipswich Lawrence Lynn Lynnfield Manchester Marblehead Merrimac Methuen   Middleton Nahant Newbury Newburyport North Andover North Reading Peabody Reading Revere Rockport   Rowley Salem Salisbury Saugus Stoneham Swampscott Topsfield Wakefield Wenham West Newbury Woburn
    Posted by reindeergirl

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quasimodo. Show Quasimodo's posts

Reindeergirl is wrong. All cites and towns in Essex County are not on the North Shore. The shore reffered to is the shore of the Atlantic Ocean. Reading, Lawrence, wakefield and others are not near the shore of the Atlantic. The word shore has a meaning. Look it up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Chazz, My first choice in Beverly will be Chianti; then Soma. They are both on Cabot Street. Make sure you make reservations. Chianti has a wonderful jazz band (but more so the food is great). You can sit in that area, listening to the music and fill yourself with apps. You don't have to order dinner there, but can if you like. If you like Mexican food, there is Acapulco in Cummings Ctr. off Elliott Street - great Margaritas. In Salem I can highly recommend The Grapevine near the water front - reservations recommended. Just recently we went to a wonderful Lebanese restaurant, Yella in Andover. It is not Beverly or Salem, but not far from either place. - Pingo ETA. Didn't realize your post is a month old. Hope you had a nice visit with your son. Re: Su Chang in Peabody. IMO it is not such a great Chinese restaurant. There are much better ones. It has nothing in common with PF Chang except the last name. In Response to Re: North Shore Dining...NOT a CHAIN :
    Posted by pingo

Hi Pingo,

Thank you for your suggestions.  Yesterday my husband and I  went to my son's college to see a play that he was in and took him out to dinner at Soma's.  It was great!  Loved the atmosphere and the food was really good.

There looked like there were quite a few restaurants in the Cabot Street area.  I know you said Chiant's was good, any others?

Thank you again.

chazz

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning chazz,
    Glad you had a great time, and thanks for the note. It is always nice to hear back from someone, you have been trying to help. It doesn't happen too often on these forums.
    Soma and Chianti are the restaurants we normally go to in Beverly, so I can't tell you about the others. But they have been there for years and with Soma and Chianti as a competition, they cannot be bad. Don't forget about "The Grapevine" in Salem. If you liked Soma, I know you will like this one too.
    If you want another nice dining experience, I would try Yella, the Lebanese restaurant, I mentioned earlier. It is Andover. Unfortunately it is closed Sunday and Monday. But next time you visit, it could be a possibility. Reservations are recommended. 16 Post Office Avenue, Andover, MA 01810 - (978) 749-0011. It is a bit hard to find as it is tucked in an alley from the main street, and Andover has a lot of one way streets. But there a plenty of parking in the rear with just a few feet of walk.
    And then of course we have Legal Seafood, if you happen to be at the North Shore Mall. One never go wrong there.  PJ Chang as well as The Cheesecake Factory are also at thatMall. Bon Appetite! - Pingo

In Response to Re: North Shore Dining...NOT a CHAIN : Hi Pingo, Thank you for your suggestions.  Yesterday my husband and I  went to my son's college to see a play that he was in and took him out to dinner at Soma's.  It was great!  Loved the atmosphere and the food was really good. There looked like there were quite a few restaurants in the Cabot Street area.  I know you said Chiant's was good, any others? Thank you again. chazz
    Posted by chazz508

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Good morning chazz, Glad you had a great time, and thanks for the note. It is always nice to hear back from someone, you have been trying to help. It doesn't happen too often on these forums. Soma and Chianti are the restaurants we normally go to in Beverly, so I can't tell you about the others. But they have been there for years and with Soma and Chianti as a competition, they cannot be bad. Don't forget about "The Grapevine" in Salem. If you liked Soma, I know you will like this one too. If you want another nice dining experience, I would try Yella, the Lebanese restaurant, I mentioned earlier. It is Andover. Unfortunately it is closed Sunday and Monday. But next time you visit, it could be a possibility. Reservations are recommended. 16 Post Office Avenue, Andover, MA 01810 - (978) 749-0011. It is a bit hard to find as it is tucked in an alley from the main street, and Andover has a lot of one way streets. But there a plenty of parking in the rear with just a few feet of walk. And then of course we have Legal Seafood, if you happen to be at the North Shore Mall. One never go wrong there.  PJ Chang as well as The Cheesecake Factory are also at thatMall. Bon Appetite! - Pingo In Response to Re: North Shore Dining...NOT a CHAIN :
    Posted by pingo

Pingo..I second Yella....it seems like it's been the talk of the town for a while and I finally made it there a couple of weeks ago..if you go..I can't recommend the scallop dish enough..it was delicious. The atmosphere is very nice..tucked away on a cozy little side street.  Pingo..can you believe that Post office Ave. was once a 2 way street? I would recommend parking in the lot on Chestnut St..or the one on Main St. near the Andover Book Shoppe and just walking over. Parking and getting around Andover center can be a pain..much easier to walk.
    Also..I would recommend Lat43 in Gloucester and I recently went back to Jimmy's on Rte 1

Sections
Shortcuts