1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamu. Show Shamu's posts

North Shore Dining...NOT a CHAIN

I'm totally with you on Billy's. I go out of my way to go there when I'm craving a roast beef sandwich.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from marc529. Show marc529's posts

Here's my 2 cents.

Italian - Tre Monte in Woburn is probably the best place for Italian outside of the north end. I recommend the wild mushroom ravioli - they have a pork chop dish with some kind of au graton potato that is out of this world. Filet is absolutely delicious. You can't go wrong here! *****

Also for Italian there is a small place in Melrose on W. Emerson St. (I don't know the actual name) It's run by a Chef that rents out the Breakfast diner on thurs/Fri/Sat/Sunday nights (Ceder Perk). It's cash only, BYOB- and EXCELLENT FOOD. If you go here you NEED to have the steak and cheese appetizer. It's pricey ($12.00) but OMFG!!!!

Molise in Wakefield is great too, there's also one located in Amesbury center that is just as good food wise but has a way better atmosphere.

Roast beef - Billy's Roast Beef is THE BEST EVER!! Nobody else even comes close. Liberty Bell's roast beef is iffy at best, don't even get me started on Kelly's (unless it's the one on Revere beach).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rchamb. Show rchamb's posts

just read the whole thread on a Sunday morning..

Sue Chang's - ehhhh- don't be fooled by the nice exterior - pretty much picture menu chinese food
    ClamBox - awsome - just get the box of clams don't waste your fried calories on fries or rings
    Joe Fish - ehh - go to legals (which isn't as great as it used to be)
    Finz - like it - agree with everyyone on the Buffalo Calamari
    Flatbread- great...
    The loft - good steak - aswome comfort food- just don't expect Peter Luger -
    Caa Blanca- mexican place next to the loft - very good, great staff
    Cafe Azteca- awsome - only gone in daylight hours.
    Royal Orchid - Rowley off route one near Demoulas - great Thai - favorite on North Shore -
    Lanna Thai Diner - N. Woburn - main street -best Thai I've had in all of Boston area..
    Hana Japan- Newburyport - strip mall near Shaws - very good japanese - haven't had courage to eat too much of the sushi
    Black Cow- Newburyport - ok, but prefer
    Davids- newburyport
    Blue Water Cafe - newburyport - ok food, rude owners only time we went (haven't gone back)
    Pow River Grill - Amesbury - our favorite restaurant north of boston, (North shore, merrimack valley whatever you want to call it.. ) burger on kids menu is great.. make your kids get it and hopefully they won't finish it..
    Michaels Harborside - always changing - I like this incarnation.. had breakfast for awhile which was great.. didn't last - too� bad.
    Chinese place that's in old Weylu's spot -don't know the name- kind of creepy since it's half empty. didn't have buffet, but good Peking Duck

we eat out too much-

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxnationwest2. Show redsoxnationwest2's posts

[Quote]Lberty Bell or Billy's Roast Beef, both on Main Street in Melrose.....[/Quote]
    Billy's is actually in Wakefield although close to the Melrose line...first place I eat everytime I come back fromt he west coast !!! Billy's is the best...no questions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from avellino2000. Show avellino2000's posts

http://www.sablonesrestaurant.com/

Tonight we went out to dinner at Sablones in Marblehead and found out that it is the same owners of the original Sablone's from East Boston that we all loved!!  We were so happy.  We spoke to the owner Sergio Maffeo and his wife Jessica and told them what a surprise this was and reaquainted ourselves.  There were four of us and we decided to have an antipasto.  The antipasto had some proscuitto with some pickled zucchini and some buffalo mozzarella wrapped around fresh ricotta cheese -- wow was it good.  We had a bottle of San Pellegrino and the men had a beer and one of the gals had wine. 
    After the antipasto we ordered the main course.  The two men had seafood risotto and one gal had pasta with mussles and clams and I had Rigatoni alla Kimberly (named for one of their daughters). -- The dinner I had was rigatoni pasta with a splash of vodka, peas, and Romano cheese in a pink sauce -- OMG it had to be one of the best meals I have ever had my entire life.
    I am a fussy eater and this was by far one of the best pasta's ever.  I was going to have gnocci but Sergio suggested this one and thank goodness. 
    My advice to all of you who miss the Sablone's in East Boston, take a ride to Sablone's in Marblehead (only 20 minutes along the coast on Route 1A North from Boston) --  and you may meet one of the Maffeo's at the door, behind the bar, in the kitchen or waiting tables (after all, it is a huge family).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from avellino2000. Show avellino2000's posts

Another Italian place that we ate at and it is not a chain is Ponte Vecchio.  Ponte Vecchio is located on the old Route 1 on the Danvers/Topsfield line in a strip mall on the right when going north.  We have been there several times and most times we have pizza - buffalo mozzarella margharita pizza -- bellisimo.  Sometimes some of the parties have the salmon or pasta and all are good.
    We have even had a few birthdays there some up to 25 people and each time from 2 to 25 we were served with grace and perfection.

Ask for Katarina!!!

Ciao

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yourimaginaryfriend. Show yourimaginaryfriend's posts

Worth The Trip! - Just a wee bit out side of the North Shore, in Hampton NH on Old Rt.1 is a place called Ron Jillian's Pizza Bar & Grill.

She and I were looking for a simple but good pizza off and we were not let down. We ordered the house salad (far better than average with a great house dressing)to go with our Chicken Picatta pizza. The pizza was way beyond our expectations. Fresh chicken, capers and lots of garlic! And of course the most important ingredient, the crust, was phenomenal. As good if not better than Sam & Joe's ... for comparison purposes.

A second trip back a few days later to try the simple cheese pie was not a letdown. A solid, well thought out, traditional red sauce is used and we were very happy yet again. The antipasto was also above average. Real nice variety with olives red peppers and artichokes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from neck21. Show neck21's posts

Re: North Shore Dining...NOT a CHAIN

try Major Magleashes at 268 Washington St., Salem==the best steak tip dinner around == the Major Burger is fantastic==very reasonable prices and causual == ask for Phil or Flash == relax and play keno and enjoy their mixed drinks== nice people ==   ps, try their salads

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coffeesnob. Show coffeesnob's posts

Jack Tar in Marlehead (Washington Street I think) is a great place, mom and pop, friendly, professional and oh, so yummy.

For casual dining try the Lobster Shanty on Front Street in Salem, big patio, live music, fresh seafood and great burgers.

Fancy Dining? Try 62 on Wharf in Salem, right in Pickering Wharf - homemade pasta, elegant dining room, Mediterranean flavors.  Kinda New Yorky, but very friendly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emugoesnaa. Show emugoesnaa's posts

It might not be so north shore(y) but Ecco in Eastie is freaking awesome.  Chef David Fitzgerald is freakishly awesome, used to Chef it up at The Downtown Bistro in Lynn, although shortlived, was AWESOME for new age bistro style food.  Start with a cuccumber martini, shumai dumplings and a cheese plate.  Tuna is outta sight, shortribs are to die for.  End it with an old school chocolate pudding... you have to try it to know what im talking about. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SouthSt. Show SouthSt's posts

The Causeway Restaurant . . . 78 Essex Ave (Route 133), Gloucester   978-281-5256You won’t find a better bargain in town . . . but, just because it’s a bargain doesn’t mean you won’t find top quality food here . . . this was a referred to me years ago while I was watching a Sox game in Bill’s Pub . . . it was hard to believe that this little ‘hole in the wall’ came with such an outstanding reputation, but I quickly became a believer and so will you . . . portions are more than generous, so skip the appetizers and think of split orders (especially on pasta) unless you’re interested in taking a doggy bag home . . . keep in mind that they don’t serve any booze, but Causeway Liquors is right next door à how convenient . . . prices are great, portions are exceptional, and you’ll be amazed at how such a small kitchen can crank out a wide variety of good food at such a quick pace . . . my favorites include the Lobster Pie, Shrimp Scampi, Baked Haddock . . . they draw a regular crowd, especially in the summer, so go early and be patient, it’s worth it . . . if the wait is long, grab a beer from next door, but drink it from a cup or from the bag to avoid any trouble . . . great spot to keep in mind for takeout too!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SouthSt. Show SouthSt's posts

Seaport Grille . . . 6 Rowe Square, Gloucester   978-282-9700            www.CruisePortGloucester.com       My favorite new place in town, conveniently located off Main Street, right across the street from the Crow’s Nest . . . offers plenty of easy parking, which is a plus . . . moreover, this place offers the best combination of restaurant and bar in town . . . outdoor seating is very attractive; although on a nice day expect the bar to be ‘open air’ due to the building’s creative construction, so sitting ringside during a ballgame works well . . . views of the inner harbor make this ideal for either lunch or dinner . . . lobster rolls or baked haddock get my call.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miumiuhandbag. Show miumiuhandbag's posts

Miumiu handbag

Miu Miu Paris Fashion Week and close the all autumn winter 2010 2011 fashion shows, does not seem true that ended to tell you the truth! Miu Miu As always gives us a really nice parade, as always, the Miu Miu woman, feminine and ultra chic, even in winter, flowers can not fail, applied on clothes, coats, bags and shoes. Miuccia Prada leads a parade on the catwalk-inspired interesting nineteenth-century Neo-Romanticism that has a good recovery is on the catwalk in life.

The parade is Miu Miu declined mostly in dark colors which are, however, interspersed by the occasional fluorescent orange and lavender, offered both in suits, coats, bags and even make-up is really well kept and very obvious integrand becomes part of the collection.

Miu Miu handbags fall winter 2010 2011 collection are very nice, we have simple models in tumbled leather and patent leather, handbags monochrome black, orange and lavender multivitamin.

The decor is glam flower petals made of metal and illuminated by soft, rounded crystals that are present on the bags but as garlands to decorate clothing, coats and shoes.

A young and fresh collection that will surely be appreciated by young and not only!

Miu Miu is a trademark of Italian fashion's amazing, cutting edge and trendy knows how to make us women happy. Today I present you one of my favorite handbags spring summer 2010 Miu Miu is one of the great clutch Cruise made during 2010 that are becoming must-have for all purposes. The Crystal pouch is a really nice bag made of leather with a beautiful ivory handle with jewel precious stones.

The pouch is part of Crystal Spring Summer 2010 collection and is made of soft calf leather ivory color, has closed on the front, in the flap, in which are embedded gemstones always tan, say a glamorous tone caramel.

The Miu Miu bag is pretty and elegant, with the metal handle on which are embedded with precious stones and beautiful light. The hardware is metal argendo color that matches very well with both the ivory skin with the color of the stones.

The Miu Miu handbag has a chocolate brown lining and an internal pocket with zip, measurements are 27 x 13 x 4 cm and the handle measures 22 inches. The price is 610.00 euros.

Exotic luxury handbags are the ultimate choice to complete a perfect and exquisite style for any beautiful and elegant lady. Show your most refined taste and irresistible glamour by wearing a piece of croc kelly,ostrich kelly bags or hermes ostrich bag.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GunghoGuy. Show GunghoGuy's posts

To all you chowhounds....I'll take Liberty Bell in Melrose over all of the above....their Fisherman's platter is a mountain of fresh seafood:  15 fried clams---7 jumbo shrimp--4 giant scallops [ more like 8]--and 2 big pieces of real haddock atop of onion rings and french fries on the bottom....also a generous serving of fresh grated cole slaw for contrast.....extra tartar, no problem...all for $20....I tried Billy's and cheapskate Kelly's....they can't match Liberty Bell's large portions....no way!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

In Response to North Shore Dining...NOT a CHAIN:
    Petrillo's on Foster Street in Peabody is a great choice for Italian dining on the northshore. Very cozy atmosphere & great food. Gaven's in Middleton is a great choice for steak & seafood. Pricey, but well worth it. Su Changs has the best chinese, and it's very classy. Edgewater Cafe in Salem is a good choice for Mexican.
    Posted by SKL0212

Seconded for Patrillo's

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Petrillo's on Foster Street in Peabody is a great choice for Italian dining on the northshore. Very cozy atmosphere & great food. Gaven's in Middleton is a great choice for steak & seafood. Pricey, but well worth it. Su Changs has the best chinese, and it's very classy. Edgewater Cafe in Salem is a good choice for Mexican.
    Posted by SKL0212

Gavens in Middleton did have great food..but it's been closed for a few months now...there is a new restaurant in it's place..I can't think of the name of it..but my hairdresser swears by it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

The Barnacle, Front St.  Marblehead,   small casual place [been there forever], right on the water      www.thebarnaclerestaurant.com

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Wild Horse Cafe, Cabot St. Beverly! 25 beers on tap, 20 or so martinis and you have to try the potato nachos! Home made potato chips!

http://www.wildhorsecafe.com/aboutus8.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Hi,
    I'm bumping this thread.  I will be visiting our son at college and am looking for a good place to take him for dinner around the Salem/Beverly area.  I saw the other Salem restaurants but it was 2008 and didn't know if things had changed.
    Thanks!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I'm with you bostonjones... The North Shore encompasses Cape Ann and several inland communities. The North Shore is comprised of the following cities and towns: Beverly, Danvers, Essex, Gloucester, Hamilton, Ipswich, Manchester, Marblehead, Middleton, Peabody, Rockport, Salem, Swampscott, Topsfield and Wenham. Wakefield/Somerville/Reading are NOT NORTH SHORE - they are however, NORTH OF BOSTON.
    Posted by b2s212

Snobby much?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Any city or town in Essex County is technically the North Shore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_County,_Massachusetts

Cities, towns, and villages*

Alternatively, also from the Wiki:

The Boston Metropolitan Area Planning Council's www.mapc.org/subregions/nstf" class="external text">North Shore Task Force, a regional planning agency, defines the North Shore as also encompassing Cape Ann and several inland communities. When combined with the North Shore Chamber of Commerce's definition of the region, the North Shore comprises the following cities and towns:

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: North Shore Dining...NOT a CHAIN:
    Hi, I'm bumping this thread.  I will be visiting our son at college and am looking for a good place to take him for dinner around the Salem/Beverly area.  I saw the other Salem restaurants but it was 2008 and didn't know if things had changed. Thanks!
    Posted by chazz508

chazz, for those communities, as toytrumpet and pingo in Confidential Chat. They know all the North Shore -inland and coastal - restaurants.

I'd help, but, alas, all I know from North Shore restaurants these days is The Clambox, and assorted Chinese restaurants. But if you like that, go with the recommendations for Su-Chang's, Peabody. Here's the Website:

http://suchangspeabody.com/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

The Barnacle, Front St.  Marblehead,   small casual place [been there forever], right on the water      www.thebarnaclerestaurant.com
    Posted by Robin39

Oh, I love it there. Sometimes the fawn and I will bike over for a special doe/fawn dinner. Plus, we love the excuse to walk around pretty Marblehead.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Chazz,
    My first choice in Beverly will be Chianti; then Soma. They are both on Cabot Street. Make sure you make reservations. Chianti has a wonderful jazz band (but more so the food is great). You can sit in that area, listening to the music and fill yourself with apps. You don't have to order dinner there, but can if you like. If you like Mexican food, there is Acapulco in Cummings Ctr. off Elliott Street - great Margaritas. In Salem I can highly recommend The Grapevine near the water front - reservations recommended.
    Just recently we went to a wonderful Lebanese restaurant, Yella in Andover. It is not Beverly or Salem, but not far from either place. - Pingo

ETA. Didn't realize your post is a month old. Hope you had a nice visit with your son. Re: Su Chang in Peabody. IMO it is not such a great Chinese restaurant. There are much better ones. It has nothing in common with PF Chang except the last name.

Hi, I'm bumping this thread.  I will be visiting our son at college and am looking for a good place to take him for dinner around the Salem/Beverly area.  I saw the other Salem restaurants but it was 2008 and didn't know if things had changed. Thanks!
    Posted by chazz508

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Pingo,
    Thanks!  He will be home for the summer next week, but I will have to check these places out when I send him back next year.
    chazz

Sections
Shortcuts