Your favorite Chinese food in the Boston area?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agbunny. Show agbunny's posts

Re: Your favorite Chinese food in the Boston area?

New Garden in Needham. The best!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Double-T. Show Double-T's posts

CK Shanghai (Wellesley) is my favorite, try the Chicken with Yu-Shiang Garlic Sauce....awesome! Actually going tonight.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agbunny. Show agbunny's posts

New Garden in Needham. The best!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwalczak. Show jwalczak's posts

Mary Chung in Central Square, Cambridge: what it lacks in charm and decor it more than makes up for with excellent (and low-priced!) food. It's basically what every Chinese take-away joint should be. There's something for every palette here, and Sunday brunch (featuring a special dim-sum menu) is consistently jam-packed with a wide spectrum of customers: from the club kids shaking off their hangovers from the night before, to tables of enthusiastic Chinese grandmothers.

Another neighborhood favorite of mine is East Asia, a tiny hole-in-the-wall takeout joint in Powderhouse Square, Somerville (just to the north up College Ave. from Davis Square). They boast some great traditional-style dishes in addition to more "classic" American palette-pleasers.  As with Mary Chung, their sauces tend to be more flavorful than those you'll find at other takeout establishments, and don't suffer from the overabundance of starch and salt that can turn dishes served elsewhere into gelatinous, flavorless-yet-briny piles of goo. East Asia does it right, and though it sounds cliche, you really can "taste the love." Their Buddha's Delight is one of my standbys: they take what can be a very boring vegetable dish and make it really come alive with a variety of crunchy fresh vegetables, water chestnuts, and a deliciously garlicky sauce. I especially recommend anything featuring their homemade tofu/bean curd. I don't know how they achieve the wonderful texture it has (pleasantly chewy but almost as melt-in-your-mouth creamy as the best "silken" style tofu), but it is consistently excellent. And I've never found anything like it at any other restaurant, shop or grocery. The women who run the kitchen (sisters?) are great. Eating here sometimes feels less like going to a restaurant and more like temporarily adopting a Chinese mother or aunt.

A brief note to the veg*ns out there and any omnivores who dine with them: Both of these restaurants use tofu, per tradition, as an ingredient in its own right rather than a meat substitute. One shouldn't assume that any dish with tofu or vegetables is automatically vegetarian. Such dishes may be served with meat, or a broth made with animal ingredients. However, the staff at both restaurants can help you by pointing out which dishes are vegetarian, as well as those that can be modified to swap out or omit animal ingredients. They handle these sorts of questions and requests frequently, so don't feel embarrassed: just be polite when asking and try not to belabor your questions! In my experience, they've always been happy to accommodate, and my guests and I have always left satisfied.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ploozie. Show Ploozie's posts

China Jade - North Beverly - of course...!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ednr. Show ednr's posts

China Cusine in North Reading.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from a218085. Show a218085's posts

CHINA

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from djjamieg. Show djjamieg's posts

Great Chef in East Boston

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maprock6. Show Maprock6's posts

The Wok in Wellesley.  The Hot and Soup Wonton Soup and the chinese style baby back ribs are to die for.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from real-democrat. Show real-democrat's posts

Mandarin Cafe in Natick. Stritcly take-out, but good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from richiezab. Show richiezab's posts

Kowloons is good, but you have to try Out of Asia on route 1 in Saugus

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mostlyharmless. Show mostlyharmless's posts

Shangri-la in Belmont

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from duddykravitz. Show duddykravitz's posts

Victoria Seafood, Commonwealth Avenue (near Babcock Street)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donaldjordan. Show donaldjordan's posts

How about moving some these great Chinese restaurants to Helsinki?? The Chinese food here is the worse I have ever had. There is not one decent place in all of Finland. HELP!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moe2378. Show moe2378's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite Chinese food in the Boston area?:
    Quan's Kitchen, North Attleboro
    Posted by ToddRules

Mansfield location is great too!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadAMX. Show BigBadAMX's posts

Shanghai Gate in Allston: Harvard and Comm Ave.  Easy to get to, great atmosphere and the food tastes great!  Very authentic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from booklover. Show booklover's posts

I can't believe you didn't pick the Gourmet Garden in Swampscott!  It is fantastic and they make it taste great with no MSG.  It's clearly a well-known spot because it's always packed!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dblewis01. Show dblewis01's posts

I've seen a lot of good places here, but I like May's Cafe in Medford (Take out only).  Great food there.  I live in NH now but when down in Somerville/Medford the two places to visit - May's Cafe and Lyndells Bakery.

If you're ever in Manchester, try Taipei and Tokyo III in Bedford (next to Hannafords).  The BEST "american" chinese I've ever had!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nuitari. Show Nuitari's posts

My wife and I enjoy Fuloon restaurant in Malden. We discovered it a few years ago and simply love it. It's like having a Chinatown restaurant right next door. The fact that is has won multiple best of Boston awards just confirms what we already know. I would suggest the wok baked beef or any of the unique dishes.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fzappa. Show fzappa's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite Chinese food in the Boston area?:
      The WINNER IS...... The Mansfield loop. In the center Cheng-Du (tell Sonny Teddy sent ya) And down the block around the corner Quans Kitchen.You get the best of both in one felled swoop.  DING DING
    Posted by tedfromDOT

Cheng Du Mansfield is the best hands down......BUT Bring BACK Yenni!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from natecoop. Show natecoop's posts

The best Chinese food in Metro-West is Shanghai-Tokoyo on East Central Street in Natick. They have a small eat in area, great sushi and the best take out around. If you are in the area, definitely stop in. It is worth your time and money. Very reasonably priced for sich great food.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scarlett01960. Show scarlett01960's posts

Su Chang's in Peabody

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pembroke-Guy. Show Pembroke-Guy's posts

A little further south, but my favorite is Tsang's Village Cafe in Hanover.  The food is always fresh and never greasy.  The staff is always pleasant and welcoming and the sushi bar is amazing. 

I can't understand why people like Cathay Pacific in Quincy.  It has been termed Cathay Pathetic by folks who work in the area and the food is extremely greasy.  To each their own though so if you enjoy it...all the power to you...enjoy!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mflam. Show mflam's posts

another vote for Shangri La, Belmont St near Mt Auburn in Belmont.

Sections
Shortcuts