1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: Your favorite pizza pie in Greater Boston?

Santarpios is the worst and I speak from experience.  In the 80's it was good, but has been downhill from there.  I have gone a few times in the past 5 years and it is always awful.  I have a friend who loves it, so I am stuck being nice and going with her occastionaly.  I think the people like me who remember when it WAS the best are the ones who hate it now.  Newbies think it is great, just don't know any better.  Way over rated.  I still love Brown Jug in Chelsea and Nana's in Everett

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite pizza pie in Greater Boston?:
    [QUOTE]Santarpios is the worst and I speak from experience.  In the 80's it was good, but has been downhill from there.  I have gone a few times in the past 5 years and it is always awful.  I have a friend who loves it, so I am stuck being nice and going with her occastionaly.  I think the people like me who remember when it WAS the best are the ones who hate it now.  Newbies think it is great, just don't know any better.  Way over rated.  I still love Brown Jug in Chelsea and Nana's in Everett
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

That's a shame.  Last time I was there was 1990, and it was, as everyone has raved, awesome.  Why does everything seem to go that way eventually?  :(

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Presto's in Cleveland Circle is my favorite in the Boston area.

My favorite of all time, the only place I could eat a whole pizza, the place I grew up going to and where my mother worked when she was in high school: Family Pizza in Leominster.
    They even have these coupons on the box, order 10 pizzas, get one free. I remember my mom cutting those out and saving them when I was little. Makes me smile when I'm at my dad's and I see some bundled together in a rubber band on the counter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I know what you mean Kar.  When I moved from the South Shore to the North Shore, where I grew up, I couldn't wait to take my daughter to Kelly's on Revere Beach for their clams.  So off we go one day and it was terrible.  Extremely expensive but mostly strips, hardly any belly's with the clams.  I remember Kelly's was so good because you always got the bellies, which to me is the clam. My daughter still thought it was good, but I was really dissapointed.  Now I know what my mother meant when she said things never stay the same : )

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I know what you mean Kar.  When I moved from the South Shore to the North Shore, where I grew up, I couldn't wait to take my daughter to Kelly's on Revere Beach for their clams.  So off we go one day and it was terrible.  Extremely expensive but mostly strips, hardly any belly's with the clams.  I remember Kelly's was so good because you always got the bellies, which to me is the clam. My daughter still thought it was good, but I was really dissapointed.  Now I know what my mother meant when she said things never stay the same : )
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

Say it isn't so!! Kelly's prided themselves on only serving whole clams.  I asked one time if they were whole or strips, and they were offended.  That was back in the early 90s.  Too bad.

Yeah, things change.  :(

Love the coupon story, Pinkie.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OMFG. Show OMFG's posts

*Photo not available?

Are you kidding me?

ARTICLE/AUTHOR FAIL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Whiskey212. Show Whiskey212's posts

..Santarpio's is good. NOT GREAT!. Their Pizza is grossly overrated.

...I would not say T' Anthony's Pizza on Comm. Ave across from BU is one of the best pie's in the city, but it should be up near the top of any "Best Pizza" diccussion in Boston. I've been to about 50% of the Pizza joints on this Boston.com poll and T'Anthoney's is better than all of them. Some of the places' mention in Cambridge do not even look like Pizza. ..No sauce, weird cheese and spinach!?!?! . I also like Presto's in Cleveland Circle and Dions pizzeria in Brookline Village. But if i could have pizza only one more or last time i would go to Pizzeria Regina in the N.End. It is the best in this city.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quohogeater. Show quohogeater's posts

I don't know if the Cape counts as 'Greater Boston" but Paul's Pizza and Seafood in Falmouth, MA. serves up the most addictive pizzas on the Cape.  Very busy during the summer but well worth the wait.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beaconian. Show beaconian's posts

Uno's has WONDERFUL Chicago-style deep dish pizza. I'm shocked that it wasn't mentioned. Yes, it's high-cal but eating it once a month is heaven.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strolzy. Show Strolzy's posts

Lists like these are read by people hoping for a surprise. The surprise is City Slickers in Somerville. All the pizzas are exceptional, however...I am going to whisper this to you and it is going to change a few things for you...try the bolognese pizza. It may take 6 months to a year to eventually try the other kinds...and you will need to prepare for the Pavlovian response when your thoughts turn to this pizza (and they will). I would put a City Slickers bolognese up against the best of whatever New York has to offer and have ourselves a little taste test.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ba1970. Show ba1970's posts

[QUOTE]You lose credibility when you use all caps. In Response to Re: Your favorite pizza pie in Greater Boston? :
    Posted by johnath[/QUOTE]

Well, the caps are annoying, but it's true that if you live in the Lowell area, Espresso Pizza, with it's sweet sauce stands alone as the best in town.  

However, if you live in the Lowell area, you also know that the famed Tony and Ann's Pizza is said to be re-opening again after being closed for 7 years.   And when Tony and Ann's re-opens it will again claim the number one spot in the Lowell area.    With it's truly unique flavor (super sweet sauce) Tony and Ann's is a one of a kind.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from krocko. Show krocko's posts

T Anthony's should be on the list!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonguy33. Show bostonguy33's posts

The CAPE is not Greater Boston. Geez.......there is a good pizza place in Indiana, does that count? OMG

[QUOTE]I don't know if the Cape counts as 'Greater Boston" but Paul's Pizza and Seafood in Falmouth, MA. serves up the most addictive pizzas on the Cape.  Very busy during the summer but well worth the wait.
    Posted by quohogeater[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

In Medford: Joe Pizza is delicious, very fresh.

On Natick/Framingham line: North End Treats. Thank goodness we finally got a good pizza place in the area!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dand66. Show dand66's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know if the Cape counts as 'Greater Boston" but Paul's Pizza and Seafood in Falmouth, MA. serves up the most addictive pizzas on the Cape.  Very busy during the summer but well worth the wait.
    Posted by quohogeater[/QUOTE]

Paul's Pizza is a GREAT example of the bar pie... it is what Town Spa in Stoughton used to be.  Another place that serves a great bar pie is the Cape Cod Cafe' in Brockton. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dand66. Show dand66's posts

[QUOTE]Why is there such a rage for thin crust?  Unfortunately this article reflects the lack of good thick crust pizza in this town.  Best pizza ever is still the DC based Armands.  I only wish that someone would break out of the Atkins Diet crazed cracker pizza mold. 
    Posted by CDB71[/QUOTE]

Because this is New England, not Chicago.  You can keep Uno's... I'll stick with thin crust!

BTW, the best pizza in the world is at Pepe's Pizzeria in New Haven, CT.  Yes, it's worth the drive down 95!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cebubaby. Show cebubaby's posts

Franca's Pizza on Felton Street in Waltham makes a great pizza (not to be confused with Franco's Pizza in Waltham, which is on Moody Street).  Our favorite is the ricotta cheese, meatball and mushroom pie.  Yes, it's a fat bomb, but enjoyed once in a while, it makes you appreciate good pizza (everything in moderation).  Dominic's Bakery in Waltham makes a great "Sicilian-style" (thick crust) pizza.  The Common Cafe in Quincy makes a delicious pie with grilled chicken, roasted peppers and a little pesto sauce.

For high-end "chain restaurant" pizza, the Sporkie at Bertucci's is great.  It has ricotta cheese and sausage.  I like ricotta cheese on pizza for the richness and contrasting texture; it also helps offset the acidity of the tomato sauce.

And while pizza snobs may look down on it, a really good "ultra commercial chain" pizza is a plain cheese and tomato pie from Papa Gino's.  It has a nice, old-fashioned pizzeria taste and a good crust.

Jeez, I now want pizza and all I have for lunch is a damn tuna sandwich!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joey-Schmoey. Show Joey-Schmoey's posts

Pizza, like all foods, is a matter of personal preference. What I noticed on this website is that the author thinks that thin crust and very little cheese is "authentic", but other styles, not so much. Paper thin crust is all the rage for snobby foodies, but I don't see the fascination with it. Regina is not on my list of good pizzas. They have terrible consistency. A few times, the ingredients resembled soup in the middle of the pie - very sloppy and mushy. What makes a pizza good is not that it's "authentic", it's how it tastes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassandra1110. Show cassandra1110's posts

Pushcart Cafe on Salem St in the North End is the best ever!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cane95. Show cane95's posts

Greater Boston is 20 miles out.  With that definition, Lynwood Cafe in Randolph is the hands-down winner.  $6 for a bar-room style pizza.  The only knock is on weekends you can wait up to 2 hours between calling in the order and getting pizza.
    South of Boston the Nutty Irishman in East Bridgewater is fantastic. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris86co. Show chris86co's posts

I think Somerville has some real solid pizza places.

Mama Lisa's & Leone's has to be the best 1-2 punch that close to each other in the world. Throw a real solid La Hacienda, and Somerville brings it.

The old DiPasquale Bros on Main St. in Medford, which now has a different name, is real good too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from emccabe. Show emccabe's posts

[QUOTE]I usually agree w/ the food rankings on Boston.com but I can't believe Leones in Somerville was left off the list - they are the best!
    Posted by nca[/QUOTE] I agree

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gawd314144. Show gawd314144's posts

Bianchi's - Revere Beach,
    Regina's -North End, 
    Pearl Street Station- Malden,
    Donatello's- Lynnfield
    Nonni's -Revere,
    Santarpio's- East Boston,
    Bill Ash- Revere Beach, 
    Dockside- Malden

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

I have been to Pepe's. You say the best in the world. What other countries have you had pizza and how many different pizza places have you been to say "the best in the world"?
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your favorite pizza pie in Greater Boston? : Because this is New England, not Chicago.  You can keep Uno's... I'll stick with thin crust! BTW, the best pizza in the world is at Pepe's Pizzeria in New Haven, CT.  Yes, it's worth the drive down 95!
    Posted by dand66[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

As I have stated in an earlier post, I dsilike favorite posts because people say this place is the best in MA, the country or the world/ I have asked some people how many places have they had pizza, how many states or how many countries, not one person answered me. Why?r
     In Response to Your favorite pizza pie in Greater Boston?:
    [QUOTE]Where do you go to taste that perfect bite of pizza pie? Globe restaurant critic Devra First has shared her findings from a recent pizza crawl . Tell us what Boston-area eateries you visit to dig into a slice of your favorite pie? What places do you frequent beyond the city?
    Posted by BDCAEStaff[/QUOTE]