I saw Broke-ology at the Lyric on Saturday 04-16.  It was one of the best plays I have ever seen.  The plot deals with poverty, illness, and family realtionships in a warm and intelligent fashion.  There is enough humor and sweetness to keep the play from becoming depressing.  The acting was excellent.  Johnny Lee Davenport was amazing in the role of the father.  The ending was sentimental and beautiful.  I would be shocked if there was a dry eye in the house. I highly recommend seeing this play before the run ends on Saturday the 23rd.  Days later my wife and I are still talking about the play, and we are still hearing "Just My Imagine" by the Temptations in our heads.

All around me in the auduence people were talking about the set.  It was perfect.

Patrice Jean Baptiste plays the mother and wife.  I met her when she worked at my office as a temp more than 15 years ago.  I remember her as a delightful and fun person, and passionate about acting.  A group of us went one weekend to see her perform in a small theatre in Boston, and loved it.  I am so glad to see that she followed her passion and is enjoying success.  I wish her the best.

I don't think that this is a category, and i doubt the Tony folks would listen to me anyway, but I nominate this play for best Garden Gnome in a Supporting role.  Chauncy did a terrific job.