1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Can Carrie Underwood et al compete with Julie Andrews et al?

Since the variety of answers is proliferating, here's a sampling...

https://www.google.com/search?q=sound+of+music+live&oq=sound+of+mu&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.7852j0j9&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8 

Live Thursday, December 5, 2013, 8-11pm.

What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Can Carrie Underwood et al compete with Julie Andrews et al?

I can't compare because I have never had any desire to watch the original version with Julie Andrews (boring).

It will probably be a good family entertainment show, if they don't ruin it with a ton of commercials.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://bostonherald.com/entertainment/television/love_that_tv/2013/12/carrie_underwoods_sound_of_music_a_hollow_remake

Carrie Underwood's 'Sound of Music' a hollow remake

Friday, December 6, 2013 -- Mark Perigard

Julie Andrews – and those fans who revere the movie version of “The Sound of Music" – have nothing to worry about.

NBC’s live three-hour adaptation of the Broadway version of the classic musical was wildly uneven and, at times, arthritically arid.

Leading lady Carrie Underwood faced the toughest challenge, but the talented singer could not, as they say here, “Climb Ev’ry Mountain.”

She didn’t have the acting chops or the charm to pull off the role of the governess who wins over a lonely brood of children and their widower father.

Among the more egregious problems plaguing this production:

NBC’s audio feed inexplicably transmitted white noise throughout the three hours – it was if everyone in America suddenly came down with tinnitus.

Also distracting: The network’s Olympic logo in the left corner throughout the show. Was that branding really necessary?

While technically sound during the musical numbers, Underwood’s acting seemed rote and lacked warmth.

Her wardrobe did her no favors, ranging from Swiss milkmaid to ‘60s airplane stewardess chic. (And this story is set during World War II).

One actor – John Bolger as the Admiral – seemed to forget his lines and struggled for a long moment to regain his bearings in a scene in which he greeted the Captain (Stephen Moyer) after the latter returned from his honeymoon.

During a scene with the Captain, Max and Elsa, a camera came into the shot.

Such are the perils of live TV.

While Underwood just wasn’t one of my favorite things, the supporting cast was terrific.

Audra McDonald brought an operatic quality as the Mother Abbess. Laura Benanti’s Elsa oozed so much sex and confidence, you had to wonder why the Captain would ever let her go. The new Von Trapp kids were capable moppets and seemed to hit most of their marks. Some of the choreography during the musical numbers was dizzyingly complicated.

By one measure, at least, it seems the show was a success: Twitter traffic soared. NBC got its wish – an audience turned out as one to watch the "event." But the tweets ranged from unmerciful to hilarious. (One wrote, “That sound you hear is Julie Andrews shooting her TV.”) Tellingly, Andrews trended late last night – not Underwood.

NBC had hopes this production, which cost reportedly $9 million, would become a holiday tradition. It seems unlikely, unless the program is edited – and perhaps some scenes re-shot.

But everyone involved should take a bow for taking on something so ambitious when so much of network TV is relentlessly bland.

Let’s see more attempts, not fewer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

The von Trapp family's take...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/07/anne-hathaway-sound-of-music-live_n_4404715.html?ncid=webmail1

...About the last direction I'd expect to hear from.

As my grandma would say, "Looks like the stuffing's starting to come out." 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Thank you, RockinRobin39, for bringing the article.

Before reading it, my word was going to be "uneven", and not so much re the acting, which I mostly tended to forgive.  Looking for the spontaneity did add much unique suspense.  But there was so much "live" hype that it may have prompted a distorted expectation.*  The more unforgiveable issues were upstream, IMO:  

First, the sets.  While there must have been brilliant overall design within the massive soundstage to facilitate the transitions - the cast getting from one set to the next - the sets' uneven support was noticeable, and it shouldn't have been.  The interior mansion ones were impressive, and expressed good scale.  But several of the others were too crowded, perhaps to "adapt" the performance to the small screen.  Unnecessarily, given today's common TV screen technology.  The result was a noticeable claustrophobic impression in some (allowing that that was the deliberate impression of the convent) which ended up actually making the production numbers laudable.  How Carrie Underwood and the kids managed to so deftly avoid running into each other was a tribute not only to them but to the choreography.  Really, live TV can be performed on a large stage.  And not least, the forest and mountain set was just awful.  Willing suspension of disbelief was impossible.  

Then, the casting.  The kids were great, IMO.  Again, their acting and dancing was very well rehearsed.  But this Captain von Trapp did not carry it.  Looking across the field of prospects in Hollywood, why put a relatively unknown in the role with the duel task of introducing himself to the world, and being believable in a role previously massively played?  Actually, not fair to him.  And that "Rolf"? ...Going on 30.  Maybe he was cast for his ability not only to sing, but to throw Liesl around.  But surely a younger singing athlete could have been found.  

Neither did Carrie Underwood carry, fully.  In some of her solo numbers, it seemed as though she were back competing.  OK, some of her established fans have urged cutting her some slack.  Then perhaps it would have been better if she weren't saddled with this as her debut.  At ground level, following the initial paid media buzz, praise for her has decayed quickly.

So, what were the good parts that made it "uneven" and this comment not a total pan?  Again, the kids were very good, particularly in expressing their personalities in short order.  And their dancing in the production numbers, especially given the confines, was a joy.  The intended humor scored.  Happy and wholesome prevailed.  Feel-good for children and the less critical.

Last, and this isn't on the production, I can't help commenting that Saturday Night Live's spoof was awful.  They had so much to work with, but it just fell flat.  It certainly riffed on the whole happy and wholesome thing, but it was barely funny.

*  Why was "live" such a big deal, considering the thousands of times that high schools have pulled it off successfully, sometimes brilliantly, and these were professionals?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

And couldn't humongous Walmart have said at the beginning and end, "Walmart is pleased to present 'The Sound of Music' without commercial interruption.  We hope you enjoy(ed) it.  Happy Holidays!"  They even might have sold more than their, "...record-setting 2.8 million towels for $1.79."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I'm going to keep an eye open for when they rerun it.

I assumed it was going to be laden with commercials so I couldn't get myself motivated to watch.

Anything without commercials is a treat.

Back in the day, a lot of tv shows were live. Now it's a big deal.

I'm so sick of lip syncing and flashing strobe lights!  

ETA:  Somewhat related news  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/10/movies/eleanor-parker-91-oscar-nominated-actress-dies.html?ref=obituaries

Eleanor Parker, who was nominated three times for a best-actress Oscar but whose best-known role was a supporting one, as the marriage-minded baroness in “The Sound of Music,” died on Monday in Palm Springs, Calif. She was 91.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

I'm going to keep an eye open for when they rerun it.

I assumed it was going to be laden with commercials so I couldn't get myself motivated to watch.

Anything without commercials is a treat.

Back in the day, a lot of tv shows were live. Now it's a big deal.

I'm so sick of lip syncing and flashing strobe lights!

+1!  

ETA:  Somewhat related news  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/10/movies/eleanor-parker-91-oscar-nominated-actress-dies.html?ref=obituaries

Eleanor Parker, who was nominated three times for a best-actress Oscar but whose best-known role was a supporting one, as the marriage-minded baroness in “The Sound of Music,” died on Monday in Palm Springs, Calif. She was 91.

And to your ETA: Beat me to it.  Hope that, if she wanted to, she got to see the TV version.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Oh, my...

http://boston.com/ae/celebrity/2013/12/10/julie-andrews-missed-nbc-live-sound-music/bzZYggzQtuG5xXBSfIRZcP/story.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Bradley Jay is devoting a Jay Talking (overnight WBZ radio) show, or at least an hour of it, to the TV production.

He and callers are making me sound circumspect.  (The irony here is intended.) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Yes, Bradley was quite harsh with his criticism of Carrie Underwood's performance.  Very funny!

Makes me even more interested in seeing it now.

BTW: Bradley is going to have live music and a vocalist on Xmas Eve.

Meanwhile, Dan Rea was focused on the Obama with the "statuesque blonde" pics and seemed obsessed with trying to interpret Michelle's thoughts, LOL   (sorry, off topic)

U.S. President Obama shares a moment with Denmark's PM Thorning-Schmidt during memorial service for Mandela in Johannesburg  http://nypost.com/2013/12/10/michelle-annoyed-by-obamas-selfie-at-mandela-memorial/

ETA: This Saturday 12/14, 8p on NBC  "The Sound of Music"  replay

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Yes, Bradley was quite harsh with his criticism of Carrie Underwood's performance.  Very funny!

Makes me even more interested in seeing it now.

BTW: Bradley is going to have live music and a vocalist on Xmas Eve.

Meanwhile, Dan Rea was focused on the Obama with the "statuesque blonde" pics and seemed obsessed with trying to interpret Michelle's thoughts, LOL   (sorry, off topic)

U.S. President Obama shares a moment with Denmark's PM Thorning-Schmidt during memorial service for Mandela in Johannesburg  http://nypost.com/2013/12/10/michelle-annoyed-by-obamas-selfie-at-mandela-memorial/ 

ETA: This Saturday 12/14, 8p on NBC  "The Sound of Music"  replay

Thank you for these tips.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

In response to Firewind's comment:

Oh, my...

http://boston.com/ae/celebrity/2013/12/10/julie-andrews-missed-nbc-live-sound-music/bzZYggzQtuG5xXBSfIRZcP/story.html

In the starkest of contrasts, Julie Andrews is all over (not in) "Saving Mr. Banks".  She was on throughout tonight's Nightline, chatting up with stars Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks, and fully up front in all the other buzzfeed as the entertainment shows process the upcoming movie.  

This, while still following the old rule, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything," about "The Sound of Music". 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Julie Andrews said she was too busy to watch The Sound of Music (Carrie Underwood).

Sure, I believe that.  NOT!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/11/sound-of-music-live-encore_n_4426522.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Finally sat down to watch it last night but fell asleep 20 minutes in!  Woke up at the end.

From the little I saw, the reviews are right, her acting was lousy, wooden and clumsy.

The trees and scenery looked really fake.

Of course Carrie Underwood's voice was beautiful, and the other actors (especially the children) were quite talented.

I've never watched the original except for bits and pieces, but I'm sure there is no comparison.

BTW: Was the broadcast totally live?   Lip syncing?

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/walmart-ads-for-nbcs-sound-of-music-will-sound-just-like-the-show-1200922060/

"The soundtrack for the live broadcast has been pre-recorded and the commercials afford the show, produced by Craig Zadan and Craig Meron, a comfort zone of sorts for costume and set changes."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

[QUOTE]

"The soundtrack for the live broadcast has been pre-recorded and the commercials afford the show, produced by Craig Zadan and Craig Meron, a comfort zone of sorts for costume and set changes."

[/QUOTE]

Nice pickup.  ...Well, well...  The singing seemed just slightly out of sync at times, and the necks/throats seemed not to be working as hard as the soundtrack implied.  One watches such things more closely when "live" is hammered home in the pre-buzz.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Just saw a commercial on ABC saying that they will be airing "The Original Sound of Music" this Sunday, December 22.

Touché.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Released: 1965 Rated: G Length: 174 mins

7p-11p with commercials 4 hours...

I might make it till 10p,  Todd Feinberg will be on then. 

I'll try.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

It wasn't to suggest watching it as much as to note ABC's apparent poke.  I'll bet the entertainment shows will be abuzz about the two tomorrow, with voting etc. etc.  All accruing to the Carrie Underwood version that still has its ledger open -- e.g., "Good or bad publicity, just spell my name right."  (NB: NBC sure has given the new one a lot of support, airing it twice in prime time.)  For the original film, after 50 years, it can't move the needle much, just more patina.

Doubtful they'll get nearly as many viewers.  Among other reasons, the stakes are higher in the football season.  But on the other hand, it might be welcomed on the second TV by the rest of the family.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Another thought:  If the media and the PR firms amp up the competition between Julie Andrews and Carrie Underwood to an arch level, I can't imagine that either of them will really like it.  But their handlers will.  We'll see if Carrie's and Julie's friends can contain themselves.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Well, I did watch TSOM till 10p.   I think I remember why I have never watched the whole thing...it's too long!   

When I see movies from back then, I always get caught up in the hairstyles, makeup and clothing (nostalgia) and how different things were.  How young and vibrant Julie Andrews (age 30) looked. 

I forgot how handsome Christopher Plummer was/is, he's still around at age 84.

Eleanor Parker should have gotten an Academy Award for best supporting actress, at least a Golden Globe.  I enjoyed her performance. 

How can you compare Carrie Underwood and Julie Andrews in the role of Maria?  The genres are totally different.  One a full scale movie and the other more like an amateurish made for tv stage production?

What was Carrie thinking?  I guess she wasn't. 

ChristopherPlummer07TIFF.jpg

Plummer at the 2007 Toronto International Film Festival

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

...Also the colorization (if that's the term ...well, what "Technicolor" meant back in the day).

I didn't watch but a little of it.  Bored, but at the other end of the spectrum from you -- I've seen it sooo many times.  But I want to say I told you so re the captain's role being massively acted by Christopher Plummer.  So much attention is - justifiably - directed at Julie Andrews and Carrie Underwood that the gaping difference between Christopher Plummer and the new guy - that's right, what's his name? - is being overlooked.

RockinRobin39, did you happen to catch if the ABC showing was dedicated to Eleanor Parker?  It would have been most fitting. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

That's funny, I can't think of that guy's name either!  He kind of blended in with the artificial trees.

I didn't notice a dedication to Eleanor Parker, but then I didn't see the closing credits.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

[QUOTE]

That's funny, I can't think of that guy's name either!  He kind of blended in with the artificial trees.  :-D

I didn't notice a dedication to Eleanor Parker, but then I didn't see the closing credits.  :-( if they missed the opportunity.

[/QUOTE]