1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: James Gandolfini Dead at 51

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/james-gandolfini-autopsy-confirms-cause-of-death-134733856.html

Despite the medical report findings that alcohol didn't play a factor in Gandolfini's death, a new report in New York Post claims the famed TV mobster had "at least eight alcoholic drinks" during what was his last meal at the hotel's outdoor restaurant.

"Gandolfini guzzled four shots of rum, two pina coladas, and two beers at dinner with his son — while he chowed down on two orders of fried king prawns and a 'large portion' of foie gras," a hotel source told the paper.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

They said his etoh/cocaine abuse was in the past, and I tend to believe this, he had his 13 year old son with him.

Do you think that extra 100 pounds he was carrying had anything to do with it...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I was saddened by this news..and MsObstinate..as you know..it hit a little too close to home for me this week.

You are right when you say that sometimes your time is just up. There have been a lot of stories about his lifestyle..diet..alcohol and drug use..etc. All these things can take a toll on your body for sure..but sometimes these things just happen for no reason.

As you know, I have a friend who is a cardiologist. Used to be my PC before he gave up the practice. He has always told me not to obsess about a little extra weight. Plenty of exercise and keeping the cholesteral levels and blood pressure levels down is the most important thing...but even then no guarantee.

The bottom line is you should really try to live healthy..everything in moderation and appreciate the time you do have on earth. Life is a precious gift. You never know when it will end.

One thing I do know...is when it's my time..I hope it's quick like that. I've seen too many people with long..lingering..debilitating illness. Long goodbyes are worse.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I asked a cardiologist many years ago how could someone avoid cardiac problems.

His advice was to stay slightly underweight (not normal weight), avoid sugar, processed foods and chemicals.

Limit red meat, animal products,  dairy.   BTW: cows milk is meant for calves not humans!

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

No doubt a hundred pounds is way too much to be carrying around for anyone. My earlier comment is in response to Robin's comment about being underweight..but somehow her first comment has disappeared and another one in it's place appears after mine. Oh well...probably a gremlin at play. I guess I will have to reply with the comment in quotes next time. Robin's comments have a habit of completely disappearing. I guess BDC hasn't sorted out all the problems regarding that account yet.

He had eight drinks the night he died..?? Yikes..I think I'd probably be dead too. That's an awful lot of alcohol.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

I asked a cardiologist many years ago how could someone avoid cardiac problems.

His advice was to stay slightly underweight (not normal weight), avoid sugar, processed foods and chemicals.

Limit red meat, animal products,  dairy.   BTW: cows milk is meant for calves not humans!

Hi Robin...I am thinking that this was the thinking many years ago..but am also guessing that if you asked a cardiologist today they would probably tell you something a little different. It is always better to be at a healthy weight..but weight doesn't tell the whole story of a person's health. It is better to be 20 pounds overweight with low cholesteral and low blood pressure than it is to be underweight with high cholesteral and high blood pressure. This is what my cardiologist friend meant in his comments to me.

100 pounds is a completely different story. In fact I think anything that is 30 percent more than your ideal body weight will give your doctor cause to lecture you.

In James Gandolfini's case the alcohol and drug abuse added to the 100 pounds of extra weight and the fact that he was clearly a very stressed out individual all made him a posterchild for a fatal heart attack.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

"Gandolfini guzzled four shots of rum, two pina coladas, and two beers at dinner with his son — while he chowed down on two orders of fried king prawns and a 'large portion' of foie gras," a hotel source told the paper.

A family friend spokesperson said on Inside Edition channel 5 last evening that the drinks were a total on the bill, not all were consumed by JG

According to him, the 13 year old boy had the 2 Pina Coladas (virgin), and the 2 adult males had two shots of rum and one beer each...so who knows.  He said anyone who knew JG know he would never drink Pina Coladas!

The food content of the meal is not disputed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

For any of you lucky enough to be home right now - 11:10 a.m.

Bravo is right now rebroadcasting an interview on Actors Studio with James Gandolfini.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

[QUOTE]

I was saddened by this news..and MsObstinate..as you know..it hit a little too close to home for me this week.

You are right when you say that sometimes your time is just up. There have been a lot of stories about his lifestyle..diet..alcohol and drug use..etc. All these things can take a toll on your body for sure..but sometimes these things just happen for no reason.

As you know, I have a friend who is a cardiologist. Used to be my PC before he gave up the practice. He has always told me not to obsess about a little extra weight. Plenty of exercise and keeping the cholesteral levels and blood pressure levels down is the most important thing...but even then no guarantee.

The bottom line is you should really try to live healthy..everything in moderation and appreciate the time you do have on earth. Life is a precious gift. You never know when it will end.

One thing I do know...is when it's my time..I hope it's quick like that. I've seen too many people with long..lingering..debilitating illness. Long goodbyes are worse.

I try to live a healthy live style... I also enjoy when I may stray from that a little. I want to look back and say I lived and loved my life.

A rule I live by...I refuse to be preacher and tell someone how to live their life....to each his/her own. My only advice is.....life is way too short, live it....before it's gone.

I too would hope when my end comes, it's quick and like Gandolfini's. I watched my dad suffer, and it broke my heart. The long goodbye was sadder than I could have imagined.

I hope you have some good news coming your way soon miscricket. My thoughts are with you.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much Msobstinate. We are in somewhat of a holding pattern right now. The doctors we've seen agree to take a "wait and see" attitude since he is basically stabilized. I think as time goes by my anxiety over the situation will diminish...he's taking it in stride for sure but that his his personality...lol ( sadly..I was born a worrier and a worrier I'll always be..)

To make matters worse..the poor guy now has a kidney stone! He's hoping to pass it in the next day or two.

You are wise to not preach to others how to live their lives. There is no "one size fits all" in this game of life. No one knows another's medical history etc. The world is full of conflicting opinions even among the experts.

I think we all know our own bodies best..and you are right. Life is short..and it's precious. I just try to live it with no regrets and focus on what really matters.

There are no doubt many contributing factors to Gandolfini's death...but you know what?  No one knows when their time is up. Perfectly healthy and fit people drop dead of the same thing all the time. Young basketball players go into cardiac arrest etc...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Larry King has been on a strict regimen (diet and meds) after a cardiac event  (1987) and it's working quite well for him.  http://www.larrykingcardiacfoundation.org/index.php/about-us

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2494398484001/larry-king-pays-tribute-to-james-gandolfini/?playlist_id=86873

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

Thank you so much Msobstinate. We are in somewhat of a holding pattern right now. The doctors we've seen agree to take a "wait and see" attitude since he is basically stabilized. I think as time goes by my anxiety over the situation will diminish...he's taking it in stride for sure but that his his personality...lol ( sadly..I was born a worrier and a worrier I'll always be..)

To make matters worse..the poor guy now has a kidney stone! He's hoping to pass it in the next day or two.

You are wise to not preach to others how to live their lives. There is no "one size fits all" in this game of life. No one knows another's medical history etc. The world is full of conflicting opinions even among the experts.

I think we all know our own bodies best..and you are right. Life is short..and it's precious. I just try to live it with no regrets and focus on what really matters.

There are no doubt many contributing factors to Gandolfini's death...but you know what?  No one knows when their time is up. Perfectly healthy and fit people drop dead of the same thing all the time. Young basketball players go into cardiac arrest etc...

[/QUOTE]

I hope that kidney stone passes quickly! That can't be much fun.

One thing I despise, when the media tries to be "first" with the story. When Gandolfini's story first broke..they implied the drinks on the bill were all his, come to find out a day or two later that was not the truth. Then they all jump in and play armchair doctor. I say it all the time, when the armchair quarterbacks anylyze players injuries......the only ones privy to that information are the player and their physician..... prime example is David Ortiz and his "heel."

One day at a time.......

[/QUOTE]

It wasn't...the poor guy. At least it passed quicker than the last time he had one..that one took two weeks. He's feeling better..but he definitely qualifies for some serious TLC this weekend.

I agree with you that the media is ridiculous. Everyone's trying to break a story...and no one cares about the truth. It's doesn't pay to be a celebrity I am sure..with all those vultures breathing down your neck.

You never come across as preachy. It's good to share advice based on personal experience.  That's what I tried to do with the whole David Ortiz thing and his heel.  I understand completely the nature of his heel issue because I am dealing with something similar. A deformed bone in my heel places pressure on my achilles on occasion so I can wake up one morning and be in awful pain for days...then I can be fine for weeks or months.  It always amazed me the people in the RS forum who knew nothing about it and were blaming it on his weight..or implying that he was out of shape.

Like I said..no one knows what works for another. Just do the best you can.