Top 50 Science Fiction Shows

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldbag54. Show oldbag54's posts

Re: Top 50 Science Fiction Shows

If Tales from the Crypt made the list, why not Night Gallery?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from somafree. Show somafree's posts

BLAKE'S 7!!!!!  RED DWARF!!!!   THE PRISONER!!!!  TORCHWOOD!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEPatsFan1. Show NEPatsFan1's posts

You put every other Supeman show ever made, so where's Smallville????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SNAPPA52. Show SNAPPA52's posts

I refuse to believe that the author of this list was locked in a closet for most of the 90's.  How anyone could leave off FARSCAPE is beyond me.  I recently watched the entire show all 4 seasons and then the movie and it is without a doubt in my opinion THE best Sci-fi show in recent memory.  If I were to creat my own list it would run as follows:

10. Star Trek: Next generation
    09. Firefly
    08. Sliders
    07. Space 1999
    06. Star Trek: Voyager
    05. Futurama
    04. Battlestar Galactica (new)
    03. Lost in Space
    02. The Time Tunnel
    01. FARSCAPE & The Peacekeeper War

the time tunnel was tacky with some of the story lines but it was ahead of its time and could be done very well in todays terms.  While SG1 and SG Atlantis didn't make my top 10 list it was some great television even though SG Atlantis became bogged down with the genai which fell flat most times like the Klingons in Star Trek.  The Wraith were arguably the most frightening of aliens to come out of a Sci-Fi show. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jldmld. Show jldmld's posts

Twilight Zone only seventh and not number one?

Obviously your staff that voted that was not around back in the late '50s early '60s to really appreciate the show and its impact--intelligent stories and they could give you the willies--even in black and white!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bluedem. Show Bluedem's posts

I think The Twilight Zone should have been number one, hands down.  It was such an incredibly classic show.  I also thought there was a fine show a season ago or two about a Dutch settler who had been given eternal life by a native American and kept flashing back in time.  It was called "New Amsterdam"--it had real potential but was too quickly cancelled.  The current show "Supernatural" is also pretty darned good with the two brothers and their good looking Angel helper who are fighting demons in entertaining Apocalyptic fashion.  Also, I expected to see "One Step Beyond" listed here.  It aired in the late 50's and had some very good episodes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Birlew7373. Show Birlew7373's posts

The revised BattleStar number 1? Please!! Farscape was by far the best sci fi
    series yet. When SyFy channel cancelled it they were stupid. Babylon5 would
    be next, then all of the Star Trek's. I noticed that Deep Space Nine wasn't
    included.  Alien Nation top notch.  Lost is great.

Maybe it just me but it seems to me that sci fi tv series are really biting the dust.
    Friday the 13th, Unit2, The Chronicle, Poltergeist the Legacy and Forever Night were fun to watch. It's like present day writers have no imagination. I liked to
    be entertain but it seems as though people only want to watch reality tv, sorry
    but I can go outside of my house and see that.

Maybe in the future, writers will once again be able to think outside the box and
    write with  imagination and fun.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from spagnitz. Show spagnitz's posts

Red Dwarf and Blake's 7 should have been in this

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redstapler. Show redstapler's posts

I'm shocked that Farscape didn't even make the list.  Farscape should at least be in the top 10.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JesusFreak1991. Show JesusFreak1991's posts

An okay list with one glaring omission and one ghastly mistake. Calling Star Trek Voyager one of the best Star Trek spin offs is a travesty. The show was boring and predictable. They leave out the arguably greatest Star Trek spin off of all time which is Star Trek Deep Space Nine. It takes Star Trek into new territory with war and espionage.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightpost1190. Show lightpost1190's posts

Just sad that farscape isn't even on the list.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from blwcj. Show blwcj's posts

What about ALF or Mork and Mindy?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from robinsg. Show robinsg's posts

In Response to Top 50 Science Fiction Shows:
    Personally I believe that it is up to each individual to come up with a list of this sort. No institution, no matter how knowledgable, can accurately list "the best" of anything. There will always be dissension and disagreement. I have been a fan of Sci-Fi from an early age and have even watched or seen every single show on this list. I remember watching the premier of "Outer Limits". Having said that I would like to point out that, in my opinion, fully 10 out of the 50 don't even belong on this list as they aren't even Sci-Fi. With the exception of "Greatest American Hero" no super-hero show should be on this list. That includes Batman, Superman (et al) & Wonder Woman. These shows are Action/Dramas (in Batman's case it would be an Action/Comedy) and might be more correctly listed as fantasy rather than Sci-Fi. The same may be said for "Wild, Wild West", and "The Man From UNCLE" and "Xena" is just pure fantasy. So before you start making a list I think you should first get your categories right. I have no problem with the order, once again I think that it is subjective. I have my favorites and you have your favorites. Each would list them differently. I do have a problem with some shows not even making the list. Predominantly would be the show "Farscape". Then what about "Heroes" and "Time Tunnel"? You can't please all the people all the time.
    Posted by bardgareth

Couldn't agree more.  1- super hero shows should not be on this list. 2- you can't please all the people all the time! 3- Star Trek should still be #1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from meiray. Show meiray's posts

Any list that puts "Star Trek: Voyager" that high up whilst snubbing "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Farscape" and has "Futurama" slumming it at #41 is completely without credibility.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sartino. Show sartino's posts

My list should start with look something like:

01. Star Trek: Next generation.
    02. Babylon5.
    03. Stagate SG1.
    04. Farscape.
    05. Stargate atlantis
    06. Stargate Voyager.
    07. Space 1999
    08. Lexx.
    09. DS9
    10. Lost in Space

The Battlestar Galactica is like on place 30 on my list, due to bad filming.
    And too much drama.
    And sadly the new serie Stargate Universe is suffering from the same tendens of flickering camera, and too much drama.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheJesterGuy. Show TheJesterGuy's posts

I agree that Farscape should have been way up near the top of this list, but that not withstanding, I just really wish that the Scyfy Channel would show more of these shows in general, rather than non-related crap like Pro Wrestling!! I can see the "fiction" in that, but where's the "science"??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from delta50. Show delta50's posts

Where is Eureka ?  There are several I would not have had on the list but missing Eureka and Farscape and even DS-9 !  Shame ! 

True enough, the Sci-Fi or Sigh-Figh ( new name )  channel used to be a place to go and stay - now I just breeze through catch Eureka,  I'm still not sure about Warehouse 13... But it's clear the days of good Sci-Fi are gone..I'm still trying to figure out how wrestling relates !

d

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frodo777. Show Frodo777's posts

"Blake's Seven" probably didn't make the list because it is a sort of underground cult hit in the US. Few people have heard of it outside of the UK or the Commonwealth.
    Controversy doesn't enter much into it; much of the gritty subject matter B7 tackled then are used in Sci Fi all the time now. It just isn't as well known as "Doctor Who" or "The Priisoner". 
     "Blake's Seven" was like a gritty version of Star Trek. Blake and his crew were former high-risk prisoners who took over their transport ship and were fleeing The Federation, an authoritarian police state. Status in The Federation is based on IQ, with genius-grade people getting the top jobs like starship captain, scientist, or planetary governor.  
    Blake, an idealist arrested for political crimes, was elected the leader. He was kept in check by the others, who were more selfish and cynical. The other crew was conposed of Avon (selfish and paranoid computer expert/embezzler and foil for Blake), Vila (cowardly electronics expert/thief), Calley (pacifist telepath),     
    Major British sci-fi and fantasy writers (like Tanith Lee) wrote some episodes of the show.
    It's a pity that "Blake's Seven" can never be released in the US on DVD because it blatantly used Star Trek's Federation symbol sideways, violating Universal's copyrights. It used to be available on PBS before Star Trek: The Next Generation came out and Universal started getting touchy about it.  
    The writers and cast later tried to put together a sort of "Blake's: The Next Generation" or reboot/remake of "Blake's Seven". They even incorporated a company to handle its intellectual property rights. However, they could never find a major media partner like the BBC or ITV to back them. 
    "Farscape" and "Firefly"feel very much like "Blake's Seven" with the serial numbers scratched off (an oddball cast of characters that live on a ship while fleeing a fascist government that has scary secret agendas). "Lexx" and "Andromeda" were influenced as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCure. Show TheCure's posts

FRINGE, it's the best since X-Files.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SNAPPA52. Show SNAPPA52's posts

I'm not sure who writes these lists but they have one thing wrong.  In Stargate Atlantis the city of Atlantis was NOT under the Antartica ice cap that was an "outpost" nothing more. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SNAPPA52. Show SNAPPA52's posts

I'm not sure the person writing this list knows much about Sci-Fi shows if he/she could leave off FARSCAPE this show is and always will be one of the best evey made.  I do however agree with your number one spot. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpbf. Show jpbf's posts

I would have placed THE TWILIGHT ZONE at the number one spot with THE OUTER LIMITS in the number two spot.  To have placed something like XENA  ahead of THE OUTER LIMITS is absurd.

The imaginative skill of the writers and the talent of the actors distinguish the great old t.v. prorgams.  Come on!  Did any of those shows that you put before THE TWILIGHT ZONE  and THE OUTER LIMITS have actors like Cedric Hardwick, Lee Marvin, or Robert Redord appear in them?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sazerac. Show Sazerac's posts

The first problem with this list is that many if not most of the shows on this list are not science fiction.

The second problem ... you ranked the awful "Logan's Run" series higher than "Firefly," one of the best and quite probably the most unjustifiably cancelled SF television shows in history? Really? Seriously? I'm not sure I can even keep reading.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sazerac. Show Sazerac's posts

In Response to Re: Top 50 Science Fiction Shows:
    [QUOTE]The first problem with this list is that many if not most of the shows on this list are not science fiction. The second problem ... you ranked the awful "Logan's Run" series higher than "Firefly," one of the best and quite probably the most unjustifiably cancelled SF television shows in history? Really? Seriously? I'm not sure I can even keep reading.
    Posted by Sazerac[/QUOTE]

Alas, I kept reading.  It got worse before it got better.  But you partially redeemed yourself by offering the top slot to BSG. Only slightly, however.  Yeesh.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

As a kid I loved Star Trek, and Star Trek: The Next Generation.  From there I thought the series lost something.  Not saying anymore because I would be cataclysmically shocked if someone in a sci-fi thread doesn't know about them....  

As a kid, I also loved Doctor Who.  For those who aren't familiar, the below is a pitch way longer than I intended....   

They played a more or less constant cycle of reruns on a public access channel, and I recorded everything. The show ran, mostly continuously, from 1963-1989.   Wikipedia has a list of everything I believe.

Problem: Budget was so low they could barely afford special effects, let alone half-believable costumes. So there was a lot of cheesiness. Not sure how it would go over with me nowadays, perhaps I'll see.

They started up again with a movie in 1996, and five new seasons 2005-2010. Making a Sixth now.

The new series are actually pretty good. Watched all of them via netflix/internet.

The plots can generically be described as a hyper-intelligent alien that looks human, and travels around in a space-time machine (stuck in the disguise of a blue police box), going around trying to save the day without getting anyone killed.

He usually fails at the lattermost goal, which gives the show a sobering sense of reality: This is not all fun and games.

Choosing to save the world generally requires our lead character to make a decision that gets another smaller number of people killed.  He never fights himself, but this means he must operate by inspiring the people around him to act as his weapons. They die so he does not have to fight. A "space Gandalf" as he described himself.  Very accurate. 

Apart from all the dying, the show is very kid-friendly, in the sense that there's no sex or cursing. (But on that note, I think kids need to absorb a good measure of sadness to temper them against the world. I cannot thank my father enough for reading The Lord of The Rings to me when I was very young - long before I could read at that level.  Read carefully, that is no fairy tale about magic and rings - it's a bitter tale of honor with all hope against reward. Doing what is necessary because it is necessary.)

Individual story lines are intelligent, with a lot of riffs on the absurd things that could result if there were time travel.

It's also got an awful lot of multiple-episode or multiple-season story arcs woven in, which makes for suspense, mystery, and keeps you watching. This gives the show a very strong sense of continuity.  Makes it more genuine.

Finally, something about the show draws out the enticing question in which you ask yourself - how would it feel if one day you rudely discover that your universe just got far far more complicated than you were comfortable with.