1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCSwati. Show BDCSwati's posts

What did you think of the new 'Arrested Development' episodes?

After seven years of rumors, speculation, and anticipation, season 4 of "Arrested Development" was finally released on Netflix Sunday, May 26. Did you spend a majority of the weekend watching the 15 (or maybe just a couple) episodes of this new season? Did it meet your expectations? Let us know your thoughts.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReasonedReply. Show ReasonedReply's posts

Re: What did you think of the new 'Arrested Development' episodes?

too much Ron Howard voice over / narration. Waay too much.

and all the actors seem weary.... lacking conviction. in other words, flat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsPeel. Show MrsPeel's posts

In response to ReasonedReply's comment:

too much Ron Howard voice over / narration. Waay too much.

and all the actors seem weary.... lacking conviction. in other words, flat.

Too much Ron Howard, period. I don't mind his narration, but I didn't realize he'd gotten back into acting (snort). And all that Rebel Alley stuff was clearly a nod and a wink to the rumors that Jessica Chastain's his illegitimate daughter. And when big name guest stars pop up, I'm too busy thinking about the insidery relationships these people have to the show than paying attention to the show. (Tommy Tune as Liza's brother. Of course. Henry Winkler's son as young Henry Winkler. No clue to the Wiig & Rogen connection.)

But yeah, totally underwhelmed in general. I'm on Ep 10 and I have only laughed out loud once. I would have rather the focus remained on the family bouncing off each other than all these new characters like DeBrie. The F4 musical subplot is a yawner anyhow. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NevahEvah. Show NevahEvah's posts

Meh.  Turning Michael Bluth into some lame, cling-on father was just wrong somehow.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nootch. Show nootch's posts

I really don't like the DeBrie character.  She's pointless and doesn't add anything to the show or storyline, which is disappointing considering how great a character Tobias is and all the possibilities you could do.  I also didn't like how they turned Michael into some loser failure.  Still love George Michael and his episode was the best one.  Still love the writing, thought it was brilliant: the play on words ("Method One acting"), the story arch tying together all the characters, the setup at the end (rift between Michael and George Michael, Lucille 2's disappearance), but the acting I thought was kind of flat at some points.  Love the ostrich!  Overall I really liked it and enjoyed it and can't wait to see which direction they take it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 72Chevy. Show 72Chevy's posts

I'm going to watch one episode every monday at 9pm est. (8pm cst.) to really get the full effect of watching a TV show. A "fire hose" blast of 10 years of pent up jokes it too much. I'm afraid I'll miss the small innuendos and puns that make this comedy gold. Of course I think it lost some of the original steam, every show does in time. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fooltastic. Show fooltastic's posts

I watched the first 2, but it was very late and I was moderately drunk, and I know I missed stuff.  And having just watched an old Kimmel with Jason on, his comments about the format of the episodes generally being around the same timeframe with different episodes following their characters through interrelated storylines... that's way too complex a model to watch without some focus and sober.  :)  Think I'm going to have to re-watch and pace myself, and maybe when it's done I'll have to go back through again.  I have to assume that won't be too burdensome.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrWyMi. Show BrWyMi's posts

Meh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReasonedReply. Show ReasonedReply's posts

one episode seemed to be all Howard voice over... 

short hand for: "we can't actually film this, so we'll talk you through"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moulder3. Show moulder3's posts

I agree with the previous poster that it was a mistake to make Michael so clingy to G.M. and almost as incompetent as his siblings.  During the original series, he was definitely needy, however it was often his ideas that would save the family.  Outside of that issue, though, the new episodes are growing on me.  Just remember that the early episodes aren't supposed to make a lot of sense--they're supposed to leave a TON of unanswered questions for the later episodes to address/answer.  Also, hopefully next season (or the movie) won't make the mistake of having the characters by themselves so much of the time.  The best scenes were almost always when the entire family was together, not one-on-one.  After all, what have we always said is the most important thing???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rubble. Show Rubble's posts

In response to moulder3's comment:

I agree with the previous poster that it was a mistake to make Michael so clingy to G.M. and almost as incompetent as his siblings.  During the original series, he was definitely needy, however it was often his ideas that would save the family.  Outside of that issue, though, the new episodes are growing on me.  Just remember that the early episodes aren't supposed to make a lot of sense--they're supposed to leave a TON of unanswered questions for the later episodes to address/answer.  Also, hopefully next season (or the movie) won't make the mistake of having the characters by themselves so much of the time.  The best scenes were almost always when the entire family was together, not one-on-one.  After all, what have we always said is the most important thing???

Breakfast

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter54. Show scooter54's posts

Have watched two.  Loved 'em. Lots of details.  Will watch 'em again.

Nothing like it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steverino1. Show Steverino1's posts

First two were great, even funnier than previous seasons. Third episode, not so much.  This show had raised the bar for comedy, becuase it never condescended, and expected us to keep up with the fast pace. Let's not forget this is an age when lazy writing is the norm; many hit sitcoms are just a series of anatomy and f*rt jokes. So let's not be so quick to put down this new season if it doesn't live up to every expectation. It has always been character-driven, not necessarily punch-line-driven. Given a choice of what to watch, you can have Two Broke Girls and Two and a Half Men - I'll stick with this show, thank you very much.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fooltastic. Show fooltastic's posts

Just saw a couple of stories on the Hollywood Reporter website that made it sound a lot like there's so much subtly setting up later payoffs that it does take a little time to really feel like it's going full steam.  But having re-watched the first 2 episodes, I still love the first one and the second was pretty good, I'm looking forward to finishing the season then going back to pick up on stuff I missed!  (And I hear it's worth pausing on any print materials in the episodes too, just as a heads-up!)