1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

Let's try titles that include the word sing(s), singing, singer, song, or sung?   Plurals included of course.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Dragonsong - Anne McCaffrey
    Dragonsinger - McCaffrey
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings --  Maya Angelou
    Song For My Fathers -- Tom Sancton
    Songmaster -- Orson Scott Card

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Excellent list sandy!

I Sing the Body Electric - Ray Bradbury

The Story of the Von Trapp Family Singers - Maria Von Trapp (haven't read this, just heard of it.  Honest)

Of Thee I Sing:  A Letter to My Daughters - Obama (see above.  I thought "ibid" and realized I haven't a clue how to use it anymore - or even if it would be the right notation)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

The Song of Roland

Sing Down the Moon   --ODell

The Executioner’s Song   --Mailer

The  Nightingale’s Song   --Timberg

Sing You Home  --Piccoult

It's gonna be a sobering but reflective few days, revisiting 9/11. When we are ready to forge ahead I suggest we think about book titles that have to do with "dance."  Because dance we must.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

The only dance book that I can remember that I've read is Mirror Dance by Lois McMasters Bujold (one of my favorite authors). 

There's also Dance of Anger which my mom once gave me -- make of that what you will!  ;-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

I could only think of Tough Guys don't Dance - Norman Mailer and Loves Music, Loves to Dance - Mary Higgins Clark...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

great responses!  I've got:

Dances With Wolves, Michael Blake
    Dancing on my Grave--  Gelsey Kirkland
    I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can  -- Barbara Gordon
    Danse Macabre --Stephen King and/or L K Hamilton
    Dancing At Lughnasa (drama) J F Dean
    A Dance to the Music of Time  ("a twelve volume cycle of novels") --Anthony Powell

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Have we done books set in the mountains as yet?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    [QUOTE]Have we done books set in the mountains as yet?
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

I don't think so, but the first one that comes to mind is Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

We pinged mountains back on page 2. I remember because it was the first theme I suggested. 
    Yoga listed:
    My Side of the Mountain
    Into Thin Air (okay, more than a "mountain")
    A Walk in the Woods (sort of) Bill Bryson

I'll add:
    Spencer's Mountain
    Heidi
    Cold Mountain

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Apparently my memory limit is 20 pages!  Thanks for doing the research, ELkie -- I think most of my ideas were in your list, except that there are quite a few Marcia Muller books set in the mountains and I think there are a couple of Robert Parker books also set in the mountains (except I forget the titles -- if I have time later today, I'll edit them in here).

Okay, new theme then.  How about civilians in World War II (as opposed to military stories)?  I was going to limit it to children in WWII, but I don't know if that is too restrictive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Suite Francaise - I struggled with this and did not finish it but had several friends who really loved it

The Book Thief

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - will be reading this in my book club this year

The Diary of Anne Frank

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - I know this has been posted before - but it's one of my favs

I have Caleb's Crossing from the library Elkie.  Wondered what you thought of it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Nice slant on a theme EES.  It's hard to find stories that aren't heavily entwined with soldiers! The top four of the stories below revolve around a child and all are from the perspective of a clvilan (I think!)....

Summer of '42
    The Human Comedy
    Summer Of My German Soldier  
    Sarah's Key
    The End of The Affair
    The Remains Of The Day
    The Secret of Santa Vittoria (italian civilians vs german army)
    Shining Through
    The English Patient

Callie, I had to re-order Caleb's Crossing. I somehow missed the pick-up notice from the library issued many weeks ago.  

I finished People Of The Book. I didn't read everyone's story. Came away with the same sentiments as with Years Of Wonders; aspects of magnificence coupled with some eye-rolling moments. 

I also ordered In My Time (Dick Cheney).  I certainly have my issues with the man, but he is a complex character who has had a remarkable life -- and lived his finest moments on the morning of 9/11. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I'm reading The Tin Drum right now and that is set mostly during WWII (at least what I've read so far).  The lead character is a child and sort-of a child, as he decides at age 3 that he's not going to grow anymore.

There's also Snow Falling on Cedars which talks about the impact of Japanese internment on a small northwestern town.  Snow I've read, but I found two other novels on that topic that I haven't read:  Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (Jamie Ford)  and Tallgrass (Sandra Dallas).

Back to ones I've read:  A Pale View of Hills and An Artist of the Floating World both by Kazuo Ishiguro, one of my mom's favorite authors -- I think her favorite was the first one and mine was the second.

I just found this web site that has a lot of good suggestions:

http://www.historicalnovels.info/WWII-Home-Front-America.html

From this list, I thought The Postmistress looked good, and also The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon has been on my get-around-to-read list for a long time.

Okay, since we all thought of The Diary of Anne Frank for this one, how about a topic related to diaries -- either a real-life published diary or a fictional diary or a book where a diary plays a prominent part in the story?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I know we did novels in letter form, but what I was thinking about for diary books was Michael Palin's Diaries 1969-1979:  The Python Years which I've read and enjoyed.  He has a new one out: Halfway to Hollywood: 1980 - 1988 which is on my to-read list.  Palin has always kept a journal and apparently he had to edit heavily to get the first book down to under 1000 pages.

In kids' books, The Diary of Wimpy Kid comes to mind -- especially since I just had to order the 5th in the series for my son.

There's also:

The Diaries of Adam and Eve and Other Stories -- Mark Twain
    The Diary of a Nobody -- George Grossmith

I don't remember if I've read the Twain -- I'd thought I'd read everything he'd written, and I used to be hugely into short stories, so I'm not sure how I could have missed this.  The Grossmith book looks very much up my alley.  Sounds a bit like a cross between The Pickwick Papers and Jeeves and Wooster.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Wow, a lot of time has gone by!  Talking about this yesterday made me want to bump it.  I got a lot of great ideas about summer reading from here. Wesley the Owl is still a favorite!   I just started Catch Me by Lisa Gardener (love her, I know I'm the fluffy reader here.)  What's on your list this summer?

Confessions....anyone reading 50 shades of grey...?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Hi chazz!! Have you read it? I'm looking to borrow it but everyone I know downloaded it. I think no one wants to fess up to owning it! I'm looking for good summer fluff reading too!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

No, but I did order it from my library.....Embarassed !

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Ha! Very brave of you :-) I heard the wait list was super long at our library.

Sections
Shortcuts