1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Book Theme Game

List 3 (or more) books that follow the theme left by the previous poster.  Then create the next theme.  

Anything goes theme-wise!  Let's not be too picky about "The's" and spelling.

A nod to yoga and her music theme game :-)

Let's begin!

theme - books with a color in the title

Green Eggs and Ham
    The Color Purple
    The Scarlet Pimpernel
    How Green Was My Valley
    The White Tiger

next theme:  love    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

Love:  ...books about love, not necessarily in title...?

Love Story
    Wuthering Heights
    Water for Elephants
    Fly Away Home
    Body Surfing

Next: A number in the title (and not all Janet Evanovich!)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Yeah chazz, I kind of left it open ended.

Farenheit 451
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish (Dr. Seuss again!)
    Tale of Two Cities (just reread this - it was great)

next:  books set in New York

Now I want to comment on the listed books!  I never read (or heard of) Body Surfing.  Good? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

New York:

Bonfire of the Vanities
    Live Wire
    -  Love ALL Harlan Coben books especially his Myron Bolitaire ones
    Dirt - Staurt Woods - Stone Barrington books - detective from NY, pretty good
    Last Night at Chateau Marmont - just finished, pure fluff, but not good fluff (same woman that wrote Devil Wears Prada, also Everyone Worth Knowing which was funnier than the Prada one)

Stuck on #5 ......I guess The Devil Wears Prada....Laura Wreisenburg again...try to think of a better one.

Body Surfing was good.  I like Anita Shreve (she also wrote The Pilot's Wife).  I find an author and if I like her, I try to read her other books.  My lists are SOOO much fluffier than yours callie......geesh, tale of two cities......I'm kinda of embarassed at my stuff!!  I really go for the escapism!

I see a couple of science fiction ones, are you into that? 

Next:  Death

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Just to interject a comment:

Midnight Cowboy was set in NYC.  Excellent book, and the movie was probably one of the better film translations of a book.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Death:

Death in Venice -- never read it, but Woody Allen always references it! 
    On Death and Dying (Kubler Ross)
    Going Postal (Terry Pratchett)
    Dead Midnight (Marcia Muller -- all her stuff is good)
    Death on the Nile (Agatha Christie)

Recently read the Pratchett book and liked it.

Next:  Letters  -- books in the form of letters or with lots of letters (correspondence) in them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Sandwich, I just looked up Marcia Muller....she has quite a few books....do you need to start at the beginning or can I just jump in?  Which did you like best ?  (Always looking for a new author)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

The Greatest Generation
    The Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - love, love this book
    The Lake House
    Persuasion - not lots of correspondence that I remember, but it was pivotal!

and that's all I've got!  That was tough sandy :-)

okay, murder by poison

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    [QUOTE]Sandwich, I just looked up Marcia Muller....she has quite a few books....do you need to start at the beginning or can I just jump in?  Which did you like best ?  (Always looking for a new author)
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

If you like detective fiction, she's excellent.  In her Sharon McCone mysteries, I think Edwin of the Iron Shoes is first.  You don't have to start at the beginning, and I think the only reason why I particularly like the early ones is that after 10 or so in a series, I kind of get character fatigue -- so the later ones might be better, but that's not my experience, just because I naturally enjoyed the first ones the most.  I forget which one was my favorite, as it's been so long since I read the early ones.  (It was probably either Ask the Cards a Question or The Cheshire Cat's Eye.)

I had that same problem with those alphabet mysteries -- you know the A is for, B is for ones -- I only made it to J -- they were still good, I just got kind of sick of them.

I hope -callie doesn't mind us diverting off the game now and then -- hard to write lists of books without going off on tangents!  8^)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Oh, no chazz!  I'll read anything!  Tons of mysteries, especially in the summer.  Have read some sci-fi and like some, but it isn't the shelf I go to first.  Bonfire of the Vanities was my first thought for a NY book. I like fluff!

Didn't read that Prachett book, but another one she co-authored with Neil
    Gaiman.  And since I've read a couple of his as well.  I guess that's kind of fantasy humor stuff.

And have read a couple by Marcia Muller, but it's been a while.  Now I'll go back to her!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Nope, not me sandy!  See above :-)

I'm the same.  Get on a streak until I'm sick of the characters. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

-callie, it was tough!!  I thought of the Potato Peel one.  Possession I think has correspondence -- maybe?  There are probably lots of nonfiction books to choose from.

Persuasion was a good one -- Pride and Prejudice would work, too, as the letter from Darcy is the turning point of the book.

I know I've read others, but naturally I can't think of them!  This is why I find this such a hard game -- but fun.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, no chazz!  I'll read anything!  Tons of mysteries, especially in the summer.  Have read some sci-fi and like some, but it isn't the shelf I go to first.  Bonfire of the Vanities was my first thought for a NY book. I like fluff! Didn't read that Prachett book, but another one she co-authored with Neil Gaiman.  And since I've read a couple of his as well.  I guess that's kind of fantasy humor stuff. And have read a couple by Marcia Muller, but it's been a while.  Now I'll go back to her!  
    Posted by -callie[/QUOTE]

Terry Pratchett is a guy, actually.  Going Postal starts with an execution, and the condemned man falls through the trap door and wakes up with a proposition -- to take over the running of the post office (a job no ones wants).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Pride & Prejudice - that would've worked too!

It is a little hard.  I guess we'll see how it goes Cool

LOL!  That is a great plot!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hey, now I have to say that five titles is pretty tough.  Is four okay?  This is a hard game.  

I thought you were going for the same style as the movies thread, Callie; we would go by book title word, linking by theme, character, authors, etc. as in that thread. That could get pretty funny, you know. :)  

I'll try this, but I don't know if I can come up with five consistently. 

Epistolary style books (some might be diary form)

Frankenstein
    Carrie
    The Color Purple
    Lemony Snicket

NEXT:  Cookbooks (or any cooking theme)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

[QUOTE]-callie, it was tough!!  I thought of the Potato Peel one.  Possession I think has correspondence -- maybe?  There are probably lots of nonfiction books to choose from. Persuasion was a good one -- Pride and Prejudice would work, too, as the letter from Darcy is the turning point of the book. I know I've read others, but naturally I can't think of them!  This is why I find this such a hard game -- but fun.
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

for New York-- Breakfast At Tiffany's
    for Letters--  A Woman of Independent Means

I can't list five of ANYTHING without taking all day.  And I'd probably have to include plays at that.  I'll enjoy lurking if you don't mind.Wink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

I have to agree with you guys.  I knew it would be challenging, but this may be too tough.  I'll start a regular book association as well and see if that works better.

and I hope you'll come play Elkie!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

I modified to 3, and added the other thread!

cooking:

Julie & Julia
    Silver Palate
    Moosewood

titles with fog

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Murder by Poison and Cookbooks -- now combining those two might be hard -- or easy, depending on how bad a cook you are!

I know there's loads of mysteries with poison as the weapon -- but I'm having trouble remembering which books featured poison versus some other method.  I did think of

I, Claudius
    Seductive Poison (about the Jonestown massacre)
    Princess Bride
    Strong Poison (Dorothy Sayers)
    A Study in SCarlet (Conan Doyle)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

this was a great idea callie...just ordered Going Postal and Ask the Cards a Question from the library! 

I did the alphabet series too Sandwich...couldn't go all the way on that one.  Did you ever try the Stephanie Plum series from Janet Evanovich?  So funny, I think she's up to 16.

Back to Fog.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I don't find this harder than the music list-of-5, though I confess I've had to double check  some answers -- like I was pretty sure Study in Scarlet involved poison but I wasn't sure, so I googled the plot.  (SInce I was too lazy to go find my copy of the book!)  It also helps a little if movies or tv shows were made out of the books -- a little head start on the book search.  :)

Next one is titles with "Fog", I think.  And I got nothin'!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

One of my favorite mystery series was by Jane Haddam.  The main character was a retired FBI agent of Armenian descent.  It's been a while, but I really like them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]this was a great idea callie...just ordered Going Postal and Ask the Cards a Question from the library!  I did the alphabet series too Sandwich...couldn't go all the way on that one.  Did you ever try the Stephanie Plum series from Janet Evanovich?  So funny, I think she's up to 16. Back to Fog.
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

I might have read one.  I used to be really into detective fiction, but I've gotten out of it a bit lately.

You know who is really great?  Liza Cody.  She's British, and her main character is totally unlike other detectives -- she (the main character) is not that smart and not well educated, and all of her observations are seen through that lens.  So instead of seeing the story thru the eyes of someone like the author (and the reader!) the clues unfold with the heroine often missing some of the pieces.  Not a formula mystery for sure. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Ok, Got to remember that one too.
    Stephanie Plum is a bounty hunter, but half the book is her getting into nutty situations and flirting with the 2 guys that like her, so they're not total mystery books.

The only thing I can think of for fog is that short story by Stephen King The Mist, which is about a big fog but it's not in the title!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I don't find this harder than the music list-of-5, though I confess I've had to double check  some answers -- like I was pretty sure Study in Scarlet involved poison but I wasn't sure, so I googled the plot.  (SInce I was too lazy to go find my copy of the book!)  It also helps a little if movies or tv shows were made out of the books -- a little head start on the book search.  :) Next one is titles with "Fog", I think.  And I got nothin'!
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

The Fog Comes in on Little Pig Feet
    (I read this as a YA, and could never forget the title) -- Rosemary Wells   -- It's a very good read.  

NEW THEME:  Transportation (land, sea or air)

Sections
Shortcuts