1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

Once I take a pass on a book, I forget all about it.  So rather than do research to remember forgettable books, I'll piggyback off your choices :-)

I can understand why you didn't like Hedgehog.  It was kind of pretentous and filled with philosophical references I didn't understand (or even try to), but I enjoyed it anyway.

I only finished Three Cups of Tea because it was for my book group.  Everyone else loved it, go figure.  But it was still disappointing to find out about the author.

I never tried Lolita in Tehran after Three Cups of Tea, but I loved The Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.  The author is an African Muslim woman who writes about her flight to the Netherlands.  Very controversial when published, and I think she still leads a guarded life because of death threats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : Yeah, one of the people there is always suggesting I might be better suited to a less challenging forum!  :-D Which is why I'm so glad callie made this sandbox for me to play in.  Thank you, callie! ETA:  I'll try Water for Elephants again  -- if I can ever get through Bruno Littlemore. 
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich

What!!!!  That buffoon doesn't deserve to share your pail and shovel!

And sandy, :-) !!!

I second Water for Elephants - it's a good story.  But I won't be trying Bruno Littlemore.  Sorry you were the guinea pig! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Thanks, -callie!  I have a broad musical knowledge (pop, rock, but also country and jazz) but not necessarily deep, and most of the music forum is focused on in-depth knowledge of recent rock and roll.  Which, if they would just include the Wiggles, Laurie Berkner, and Big Time Rush in that conversation I would SO nail that. 

I did look at the Amazon reader reviews for Bruno.  Some people really really loved it.  It really is, in some ways, well-written.  The descriptions in the book are extremely detailed -- like something that might be well-described in 3 sentences will instead take pages.  They're not difficult pages to read, but over time, it gets tedious.  The bigger issue is the non-sensical behavior of one of the main characters.  Essentially the maternal character switches, with really no explained rationale, to a sexual/romantic partner.  It's not just that this is implausible, it's that there is no motivation detectable in the book why a normal intelligent woman would switch roles like that -- and with a chimp, no less. 

This is the second book I've read in the past year where a male author seems to not understand how a woman's mind would work.  If you're going to have a character do something beyond the pale, first you have to understand that it is beyond the pale (which I'm not sure these authors do) and then you have to have some background explanation why this could occur.  I'm only halfway through Bruno, so it's possible this will come out later in the book, but so far I'm not hopeful.

Hey, we probably need a new topic.  Anyone have any ideas?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : Yeah, one of the people there is always suggesting I might be better suited to a less challenging forum!  :-D Which is why I'm so glad callie made this sandbox for me to play in.  Thank you, callie! ETA:  I'll try Water for Elephants again  -- if I can ever get through Bruno Littlemore. 

LOL! At least you weren't called a dirty old woman with too much time on her hands!!  (And then there's the constant, "jkj is so smart and wonderful"......I mean, come on, sandy, you know jkj, he's ok, but awesome????)

I agree, thank you callie!!  It's nice to be able to play and still go off on tangents!

Just finished Wesley.  I won't say too much because I don't want to spoil it for callie and sandy, but Elkie, I absolutley LOVED it.  I love reading about people who are as crazy about animals as I am!  (One of the major reasons I went out with jkj was he had 2 cats!)  What a touching relationship they had.
    It was such a great story and so beautifully written. 
    I especially enjoyed her opinion on shooting wolves from helicopters, hmmm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 5thtry. Show 5thtry's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : LOL! At least you weren't called a dirty old woman with too much time on her hands!!  (And then there's the constant, jkj is so smart and wonderful......I mean, come on, sandy, you know jkj, he's ok, but awesome????) I agree, thank you callie!!  It's nice to be able to play and still go off on tangents! Just finished Wesley.  I won't say too much because I don't want to spoil it for callie and sandy, but Elkie, I absolutley LOVED it.  I love reading about people who are as crazy about animals as I am!  (One of the major reasons I went out with jkj was he had 2 cats!)  What a touching relationship they had. It was such a great story and so beautifully written.  I especially enjoyed her opinion on shooting wolves from helicopters, hmmm.
    Posted by chazz508

house of sand and fog
    joy luck club
    clan of the cave bear    

don't even know what the previous theme was, don't even know if these are theme related, but i liked them.   just throwing in my 2cents on books i enjoyed.  over and out of building.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : LOL! At least you weren't called a dirty old woman with too much time on her hands!!  (And then there's the constant, jkj is so smart and wonderful......I mean, come on, sandy, you know jkj, he's ok, but awesome????) I agree, thank you callie!! Posted by chazz508

You do know that I know how to read?

I think I just awesome enough, thank-you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

(And then there's the constant, jkj is so smart and wonderful......I mean, come on, sandy, you know jkj, he's ok, but awesome????) I agree, thank you callie!!   (One of the major reasons I went out with jkj was he had 2 cats!) 
    Posted by chazz508

I was going to concede your point about awesome, and then you said he'd had 2 cats when you met him.

Now, come on, that is righteously awesome!  Mr. Sandwich told me he loved cats when he first met me, but he was lying.  I forgive him cuz that was the love talking.  And maybe the lust.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : You do know that I know how to read? I think I just awesome enough, thank-you.
    Posted by jkjband

hey, you never play in here...thought I could get away with it!!

(sorry)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : I was going to concede your point about awesome, and then you said he'd had 2 cats when you met him. Now, come on , that is righteously awesome!  Mr. Sandwich told me he loved cats when he first met me, but he was lying .  I forgive him cuz that was the love talking.  And maybe the lust.

geeesh sandwich, just what I need, another thread to build that BIG ego of his!!

that's cool that Mr. Sandwich cared enough to lie (and look, it worked!)Laughing 
    jkj says in the beginning, I always pretended to be sweet Innocent

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Good morning and happy Saturday all!

I've been away and don't see a thread so I'm proposing a new one, traveling abroad. Since I'm reading one right now as well as living abroad I'll start with:

David McCullough's -The Greater Journey Americans in Paris

Go, or as they'd say in Paris, aller...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Welcome back, Walking!! 

Funny coincidence, I just saw that book recently -- I think when I was trolling amazon for ideas for the books-about-Paris theme.

For traveling abroad:

Travels With My Aunt
    A Room With a View
    The Marble Faun
    The Pillars of Hercules (and loads more books by Paul Theroux)
    Tara Road
    Appetite for Life (biography of Julia Child)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Like the new avatar, Walking!  Good Morning, sandy!

I'm just adding Under the Tuscan Sun.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Hi Sandy, Chazz - gets busy over here and sometimes hard to keep up on all these sites. The McCullough book is a great read so far. Then again, all of his stuff is excellent!

Here's another one, read it long ago and re-read it recently:

The Innocents Abroad - Mark Twain

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

How about The Pickwick Papers?

Of course, the joke in that book is that "abroad" for them is within a 10 mile radius of where they started. 

It's all in your perspective, I guess.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Eat, Pray, Love

Little Women - I remember feeling sorry for Jo because Amy got to travel to Europe with the aunt instead of Jo.  And I found it hard to believe that Jo didn't feel jealous when Amy returned engaged (married?) to Laurie.

1000 Places to See Before You Die, not a novel but a fun reference book

Good topic, Walking!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

No title comes to mind, but after seeing the "Royal Couple" in their cowboy hats I'm thinking of books about cowboys or on ranches ...

Oh! I have one:  The Virginian

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Traveling abroad

Around the World in 80 Days  --Jules Verne

The Portrait of A Lady   -- H. James

Don’t Drink the Water  --play written by Woody Allen

Around the World with Auntie Mame  --Patrick Dennis

Cowboys or Ranches:

Brokeback Mountain

The Horse Whisperer

The Egg and I

Lonesome Dove

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

For Cowboys, well, this may be a stretch:

Stephen King's Dark Tower Series

After all, Roland is a gunslinger... Cool

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Also,
    Shane
    All the Pretty Horses

Here's a bonus - I've had this noodling around (but it's not an earworm as far as I'm concerned) since I posted the theme, and since sharing is caring here you go:

Well, there is a young cowboy he lives on the range
    His horse and his cattle are his only companions
    He works in the saddle and he sleeps in the canyons
    Just waiting for Summer, his pastures to change

And as the moon rises he sits by his fire
    Thinking about women and glasses of beer
    And closing his eyes as the dogies retire
    He sings out a song which is soft but it's clear
    As if maybe someone could hear

(Chorus)
    Goodnight you moonlight ladies
    Rockabye sweet baby James
    Deep greens and blues are the colours I choose
    Won't you let me go down in my dreams
    And rockabye sweet baby James

Cool

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Thanks for sharing Callie Sealed

Fortunately I have a nice little mix of David Sandborn, John Scofield, Eddie Daniels, and Pat Metheny going right now to keep your earworn at bay.

More Cowboys:

The Amazing Tom Mix: The Most Famous Cowboy of the Movies - Richard Jensen

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Elkie mentioned two of the books I was thinking about.

The Dark Wind (and anything else by Tony Hillerman)
    Fanous Gunfighters of the Western Frontier by Bat Masterson
    Burn Out by Marcia Muller
    Crucifixion River by Muller and Pronzini

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

How about for the next topic, books with vegetables in their titles?

....and now for something completely different......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

How about for the next topic, books with vegetables in their titles? ....and now for something completely different......

ok, not to be a pain, but are fruits acceptable?... because I have some for fruit....Smile

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : ok, not to be a pain, but are fruits acceptable?... because I have some for fruit....
    Posted by chazz508

You can't handle the fruit!!

Yeah, okay, if you want to sweeten it up, go for fruit.  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Are tomatoes fruit or veggies?

Regardless - Fried Green Tomatoes at Whistlestop Junction (I think) - Fanny someone or other Embarassed

Sections
Shortcuts