1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    [QUOTE]Are tomatoes fruit or veggies? Regardless - Fried Green Tomatoes at Whistlestop Junction (I think) - Fanny someone or other
    Posted by WalkingTheWalk[/QUOTE]

Fannie Flagg -- and no, I don't know that because I am so learned.  It's because I've watched 1000's of hours of MatchGame.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

The Bean Trees - Barbara Kingsolver
    The Salad Days - Douglas Fairbanks
    Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
    Squashed - Joan Bauer

I only know a couple of these first hand.  I'd thought of The Bean Trees for a southwest theme, and then thought that was too close to "western" and maybe it could start a vegetable (or fruit) theme.  But, except for cookbooks, it's not as easy a theme as I thought!   (Fruit might be easier, though.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

[QUOTE]The Bean Trees - Barbara Kingsolver The Salad Days - Douglas Fairbanks Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society Squashed - Joan Bauer I only know a couple of these first hand.  I'd thought of The Bean Trees for a southwest theme, and then thought that was too close to "western" and maybe it could start a vegetable (or fruit) theme.  But, except for cookbooks, it's not as easy a theme as I thought!   (Fruit might be easier, though.)
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

Sandy - I agree - fruit would've been an easier walk in the orchard but when have we, as a group, ever taken the easier path.

With fruit in mind I give you John Steinbeck's - Grapes of Wrath - in honor of the fine Nahe River White that I'm sipping now Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : You can't handle the fruit!! Yeah, okay, if you want to sweeten it up, go for fruit.  :)

LOL! thank you....here's a little of both.....

Children of the Corn - Stephen King
    The Onion Field - Joseph Wambaugh (credit to jkj..)
    Watermelon - Marion Keyes
    The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender
    Visions of Sugar Plums - Janet Evanovich

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

The Onion Field is a great book -- wish I'd thought of it!  Have you read the Lemon Cake book, chazz?  I've been tempted to try that.

For fruit:

Strawberry Girl - Lois Lenski (a favorite when I was one -- a girl, not a strawberry)

Blueberry Muffin Murder -- Joanna Fluke, who apparently has written a whole bunch of murder and dessert books, which only makes sense if someone touches my cake.

Johnny Appleseed (actually there are tons of books with this title -- all biographies)

Garfield Goes Bananas (that's literature, right?  I hope so, since it comprises most of what my oldest reads)

Grapes of Math by Greg Tang (who also wrote Math Potatoes)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

The Perfect Peach --Stephen Schwartz
    A Taste of Blackberries  -- Doris Buchanan Smith
    The Five Little Peppers --Margaret Sidney
    The Milagro Beanfield War  --John Nichols
    The Beans of Egypt Maine   -- Carolyn Chute
    The Cherry Orchard  --Chekhov
    The Constant Gardener  --LeCarre  (am I too droll or what?)

Next: 
    fictional characters whose first name is a flower --with the exception of Rose. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : Sandy - I agree - fruit would've been an easier walk in the orchard but when have we, as a group, ever taken the easier path. With fruit in mind I give you John Steinbeck's - Grapes of Wrath - in honor of the fine Nahe River White that I'm sipping now
    Posted by WalkingTheWalk[/QUOTE]

Walking, have I told you that I'm glad you're back from your brief hiatus?  We need that dose of Y chromosome in our little book club.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]The Onion Field is a great book -- wish I'd thought of it!  Have you read the Lemon Cake book, chazz?  I've been tempted to try that. Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

sandy, I read it last summer and I thought it had a lot of potential.  Loved the idea that the girl could tell exactly where each ingredient came from and how the person was feeling when they cooked whatever she was eating, but the ending left me feeling cheated.  I was really mad about it.  I actually don't remember the exact ending, but remember being frustrated (weird?).  I would love to hear any one else's thoughts on it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

First name is a flower: (good one!)

Ha!  Princess Bride! (Buttercup)
    Great Gatsby - (Daisy)
    Harry Potter series (Lily Potter and Poppy Pomfrey)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Violet)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : Walking, have I told you that I'm glad you're back from your brief hiatus?  We need that dose of Y chromosome in our little book club.  :)

I agree! I also wanted to add that I like the new avatar.  I was looking for a picture for the WA, found this one, and thought of you! (loved it and was going to save it for an appropriate post......)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Fruity book:
    James and the Giant Peach

No flower names are popping into my mind this morning.  Your list is great chazz!

ETA

Heathcliff - Wuthering Heights.  I googled.  heathcliff is a flowering plant.
    Holly Golightly - Breakfast at Tiffany's (berries = flowers?  It's a stretch!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

There's a kids' book called Chrysanthemum about a kid (well a mouse-kid) with that name.  (It's very cute -- she LOVES her name, but then she starts school and gets teased about it and has to overcome that.)

There's also Pansy Parkinson in the Harry Potter books.

I'm struggling to think of others, though there must be loads of them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

How about Flower, the skunk in Bambi....... :)

ETA:
    When I was trying to think of cowboy/western books I could only think of one.  Then I realized the only reason I thought it was one was because the author always wears a cowboy hat.....

God's Other Son - Don Imus (read it a long time ago, but remember it being pretty funny)

So when we're ready for a new topic, maybe books with religious overtones....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Characters with flowery names seems not a fecund theme after all!  The only others I've come up with is:

Lily Bart  --The House of Mirth (Edith Wharton)

Violet Venable   --Suddenly Last Summer (Tenn Williams)

Surely there must be characters named Magnolia, Tulip, Iris, or Hyacinth. Oh well. 

Will start brainstorming "religious overtones" starting now

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Is this the type of stuff you you have in mind chazzy?  (this list includes the sublime and the ridiculous...) 

The Chronicles of Narnia  --Lewis

The Poisonwood Bible --Kingsolver

Billy Budd  --Melville

The Word  --Wallace

The DaVinci Code  --Brown

The Giving Tree  --Silverstein

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

19th Wife
    The Chosen
    The Book Thief
    The Infidel
    People of the Book - loved this

Going back to the "bad moms" theme, the mom in book I'm finishing up "Dead End Gene Pool" exemplifies neglect-by-wealth.  Yikes!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Excellent lists, callie and Elekktra!

The Giving Tree was an interesting choice, love the way your mind works.

I took out The Book Thief last summer, but for some reason didn't read it...not that I didn't like it, never opened it.  What did you think of it, callie?

just a couple I put on the other thread...

Stella in Heaven - funny little book my dad gave me, the wife helps her husband find a new wife from heaven
    Hell - kind of weird, but some parts are funny
    also Angels and Demons (another Dan Brown)

*another fruit Plum Island - Nelson DeMille

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

It's funny, chazz.  I have a vague recollection of the plot and I know I finished it, that says something, but that's about all I can remember.  Maybe it was more memorable to someone else?   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Any ideas for a new theme?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

how 'bout "physicians or MDs, who practice unusual medicine". 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

How about the Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells - oh wait - wasn't the good doctor a scientist?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

First one that comes to mind is Coma by Robin Cook. (I think all of his books may be weird doctor stuff).
    I think this book did to anesthesiology what Jaws did to night swimming.....

Silence of the Lambs - Thomas Harris (Hannibal Lecter was a doctor, did he just eat other people or his own patients??)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

The wacko physician/mad scientist lines do blur-- especially with older literature.  

Frankenstein (again!)
    The Story of Dr Doolittle
    Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
    The Boys From Brazil
    The Scarlet Letter

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Well, I had a great day, and I hope you did, too, as I did a field assessment today.  Guess we don't agree as to what we see and what we intend.  Such is life in cyberspace.  Yeah, guess it's a matter of interpreation what's funny. Whatever, ladies.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

chazz, I don't think she gets our self-deprecating sense of humor.