1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

Chazz - HP was pretty good - the little Walkings loved it but feel empty now that the gig is up.

Whilst we're on the subject of beer:

100 Belgian Beers to Try Before You Die! by Tim Webb

And here's one of them:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Well, after beer, I thought about coffee or other beverages, but maybe we should do something different?

How about books that somehow feature nurses or the nursing profession?

I don't have even one in mind, but where would the challenge be otherwise?  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Nurses: 

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- Ken Kesey
    The World According to Garp - John Irving
    Whispers and Lies - Joy Fielding

I'm supposed to go with my kids Tuesday night, Walking (unless they change their minds.  They're older and I'm quite embarassing to be around now!)  I think I will feel they same way.  It is sad to see it end!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

I did see Harry Potter over the weekend - it was great!  Went with my daughter at ther request, but maybe that's because I foot the bill when she goes with me :-)  And we definitely both felt a little sad that it's over.  

We were discussing at work that Rowlings said she wouldn't write about Harry Potter anymore, but according to my co-worker she didn't say never to writing more about Hogwarts.  Maybe there's a next generation to come?!   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

The English Patient
    A Farwell to Arms

I just finished The Paris Wife last night.  It's a ficionalized story of Hemingway and his first wife.  I don't know how much of it is true, but the author has an extensive source list so I'm guessing a fair amount of it is based on recorded incidents.  I'm feeling a little outraged at Ernest Hemingway's behavior in the end towards his wife.  But it mirrors the behavior of the people they were surrounded by - so maybe I'm just provincial :-) 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Okay, we need a new theme.

How 'bout:  FIRE

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Cal,  re: The Paris Wife, have you read Loving Frank?

For fiya  Cool ( I refuse to include Fire Starter.)  

Burnt Offerings --Marasco (not about arson)

Burnt Offerings --(the serial thriller by LK Hamilton actually centers around arson)

of a Fire On the Moon  --Mailer

Rebecca    --du Maurier

Jane Eyre  --Bronte

The Glass Inferno   --Scortia and Robinson

The Far Pavilions  --MM Kaye

She  -- HR Haggard

Gone With The Wind  --Margaret somebody...

Next: amnesia anybody?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

impressive list, Elkie!

For Amnesia:

Bourne Identity - Robert Ludlom
    Blood Memory - Greg Iles
    Anybody Out There? - Marian Keyes

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Man, Elkie, that was a great list!!  A lot of those books were "oh yea-ah" -- as in "oh yeah, why didn't those occur to me?"

:)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I would post a list of books about amnesia, but I seem to have forgotten them all.

Ba-dum-bump.

Thank you thank you -- I'll be here all week, with two shows on Thursday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    Cal,  re: The Paris Wife, have you read Loving Frank ? 
    Posted by Elekktra

I had that book a while back but never cracked it open.  Would Frank annoy me too?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Your post made me think of cheating as a topic Elkie, but my mind went right to country song titles:

I Bought the Shoes that Just Walked Out on Me

Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off

Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissing You Goodbye

If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?

If Fingerprints Showed Up On Skin, Wonder Whose I'd Find On You

Disclaimer:  I don't know for sure that these are for real.Cool 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : I had that book a while back but never cracked it open.  Would Frank annoy me too?
    Posted by -callie

FLW was what he was; an artist and a wart.  Loving Frank is a novelization Mameh's life and includes her tragic end.  I found it fascinating.  The writing is absolutely exquisite! i can't think of anything that compares. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Your post made me think of cheating as a topic Elkie, but my mind went right to country song titles: I Bought the Shoes that Just Walked Out on Me Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissing You Goodbye If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet? If Fingerprints Showed Up On Skin, Wonder Whose I'd Find On You Disclaimer:  I don't know for sure that these are for real.  
    Posted by -callie

Laughing my butt off. 
     I'm not much into traditional country music, and your titles remind me why.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

So, are we doing cheating as a topic?  Seems like there's too many books to choose from.  Perhaps there's a way to narrow that one down?

Ideas?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Okay, cheating, off the top of my head:

INcendiary -- Chris Cleave
    Jane Eyre
    Tara Road -- Maeve Binchy
    .....and just about every other Binchy book :)
    Revenge of the MIddle-Aged WOman  -- Elizabeth Buchan

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

An oft found theme or premise: 

"The Reader Is Expected to Sympathize With The Cheating Female Protagonist"  
    (yes, I've posted most of these titles before)

The  Mermaid Chair  -Monk

The Virgin Blue  -Chevalier

Loving Frank  -Horan

Water For Elephants  -Gruen

The Scarlet Letter –Hawthorne

The Ginger Tree  --Wynd (An enlightening and literate historical novel, and another example of the epistolary form.    

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

haha, funny sub-theme Elkie.

Another could be man cheats and expects partner to go along with new arrangements:

The Paris Wife
    Loving Frank??? (based on what you hinted Elkie)

There's another dancing around on the edge of my memory, I'll give it some thought.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Another challenge would be man cheats and then later wants woman (#1) to take him back.  I think Revenge of the Middle Aged Woman has that.

I know there's others, but I'm blanking.  My son had a sleepover party last night -- otherwise known as a nobody-slept-party.  They all still have pep, but I'm dragging (and I did have some sleep -- punctuated with moments to yell "hey! keep it down!  go to sleep already!" and other totally useless suggestions).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

"The Reader Is Expected to Sympathize With The Cheating Female Protagonist"  

I just finished one of those....Beach Trip by Cathy Holton ( is it wrong that I thoroughly enjoy this theme? ) ... I think she stole quite a bit from that Julia Roberts movie where the husband likes to fix the towels.

Poor Sandy, you must be exhausted!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Exhausted and challenged -- there is a very large brownie pizza sitting here that is whispering to me and trying to wreck my willpower.

SHUT UP, YOU CHOCOLATE FIEND!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

How about that for our next theme -- novels where the protagonist is overweight and/or is struggling with his/her weight.  (A universal theme!  Cuz ain't we all -- or at least have struggled at one point or another.)

Bridget Jones' Diary comes to mind.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Skates For Marty -Clayton(?)
    The Cat Ate My Gymsuit -Danziger
    She's Come Undone  --Lamb
    In Her Shoes  --Weiner

agatha christie's "Hercule Poirot" is an overweight gourmand...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

haha, funny sub-theme Elkie. Another could be man cheats and expects partner to go along with new arrangements: The Paris Wife Loving Frank??? (based on what you hinted Elkie) There's another dancing around on the edge of my memory, I'll give it some thought.
    Posted by -callie

there was a tv movie, "Leave Of Absence."  The story was written by Polly Bergen but I don't think it's a published work.

Better yet: Dr Zhivago

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

For overweight:
    No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

Diane Mott Davidson's Goldy Schulz mystery series.  I've read a couple, all the titles have food play-on-words.

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series.  Nero Wolfe, as I remember him is an extremely eccentric, orchid growing, food obsessed, mystery solver.  And a very large man.    

Sections
Shortcuts