1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

You know, I have never read Dr. Zhivago or seen the movie.  I don't even know what it's about really.

Hope you were able to catch up on your sleep sandy.  And out-wrestled that chocolate brownie (my favorite.  Especially with ice cream and hot fudge). 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I haven't read or seen Dr. Zhivago either.

My brownine pizza is homemade brownie recipe baked in a pizza pan, covered with red "sauce"  (frosting), topped with "cheese" (shredded white chocolate) and "meat" (chocolate candy -- usually peanut clusters or whatever -- I've also topped it with dried pineapple for pineapple pizza).

So, really, no temptation there, right?
    Embarassed

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : there was a tv movie, "Leave Of Absence."  The story was written by Polly Bergen but I don't think it's a published work. Better yet: Dr Zhivago
    Posted by Elekktra[/QUOTE]

Memoirs would probably be easy pickins for the cheating theme -- Patricia Neal and Lynn Redgrave I think both wrote about their experience on the butt end of it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

callie, I loved the First Ladies Detective Agency.  Did you like it?

Overweight:

Jennifer Weiner must like that theme because it was also in Good in Bed and Best Friends Forever.
    Last Chance Saloon -
    Marion Keyes
    Stephanie Plum bountyhunter series...

sounds yummy, sandy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

I did like the Ladies Detective Agency book, chazz.  I think there were more in the series, I don't know why but I never read them.

New theme?  How about unusual occupations.  The first one I thought of was the series I sent your way, chazz and we've mentioned here before:

Harper Connelly, Grave series, Charlaine Harris  After being struck by lightning, Harper can find dead people's bodies.

Horse Whisper.  

The Body Farm, Kay Scarpetta, Paricia Cornwell.  Till I read this book I had no idea people studied this sort of thing, though I guess it makes sense (but still, ewwww).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I haven't read The Body Farm, but I have heard of the real life one -- it's in Louisiana or someplace in the south, right?

Unless there's more than one.......::::shudder:::::

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

ewww is right! I had never heard of it, but it does make sense.

Dean Koontz - Odd Thomas series - he's a short order cook who uses his ability to communicate with the dead to solve mysetries

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - She can tell where the ingredients came from and how the person felt making food.....she ends up using this to work in a restaurant (I think she also uses it to help disturbed kids) - Reading the reviews and spoiler alerts I figured out why I hated the ending....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Something Missing the protagonist is a professional burglar -- he sees what he does as his job and approaches it that way.

I really enjoyed this book, which maybe says something about my own neuroses.  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Great theme.  Seems to me that modern female protagonists tend to be sculptors or artists of some kind.  My beefs (beeves?) with contemporary fiction never abate, sorry.

Anyhow, here are my weak offerings (some are plays):

Isabel Dalhousie, editor of the Review of Applied Ethics.  (cir@10) and hostess. The Sunday Philosophy Club   --AMSmith

Causabon, compiler of "The Key Of All Mythologies." Middlemarch   --GEliot

Fagin, pickpocket master and instructor.  Oliver Twist   --CDickens

Colonel Pickering, the author of a book on Sanskrit;  and Prof Henry Higgins, phoneticist whose hobby is identifying everyone's accents and place of birth -- down to the block. Pygmalion --GB Shaw

Dolly Levi, marriage broker. The Matchmaker     --Thornton Wilder

Sam Posner,  pickle maker.  Crossing Delancy  --Susan Sandler

and 

....drum roll.......

Oddjob, henchman.  Goldfinger   --IFleming

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Inspired list Elkie!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't read The Body Farm, but I have heard of the real life one -- it's in Louisiana or someplace in the south, right? Unless there's more than one.......::::shudder:::::
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

I actually just googled sandy.  There are apparently *5*, the largest in Texas.  Field trip anyone?  (ick)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

New topic?  How about servants or housekeepers?  

The Help (my inspiration.  Saw the movie trailer - liked the book)
    My Man Jeeves, PG Wodehouse
    Gone With The Wind, Rhett Butler
    Girl with a Pearl Earring

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

The Remains Of The Day  --Ishiguro

Cinderella –-Perrault version

A Little Princess  --Burnett

Snow White  --Bros Grimm version

Master Harold and the Boys  (play) --A Fugard

The Secret Lives of Bees    --SMKidd

Next: alternating narrators.  a la The Poisonwood Bible

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Alternating Narrators:

The Saving Graces - Patricia Gaffney

The Help

Jodi Picoult uses this a lot - Sing You Home, Handle with Care, Nineteen Minutes

Beach Road -
    James Patterson

Can we add in Dooby(sp?) and Creacher for servants?...still haven't seen the last one  :(

(callie - Rhett Butler, ha! )....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Did you mean Dobby and Kreacher. chazz?

YOu know I don't know the name of the servant in Gone WIth the WInd, but didn't Hattie McDaniels get an oscar for that role?

I was also thinking of Secret Life of Bees, but I couldn't remember for sure if there was a housekeeper angle -- I have a mind like a steel sieve.

ALternating narrators I'm going to have to think about.  Does alternating point of view count?  The Elegance of the Hedgehog goes back and forth, I think.

I'm every which way scatter-brained  today -- been running all day and am just grabbing a few moments for lunch before racing to pick up the wee one. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

A side note (hmn, not like we ever get off topic in this thread! :)

I'm about to give up on Bruno Littlemore, I think.  The story got even more unbelievable, in terms of the characters' actions.  I don't mind outlandish premises as long as they're internally consistent and somehow justified within the book.

On the other hand, I went looking for Breakfast with Buddha at my library.  It wasn't on the shelf, but I picked up Roland Merullo's A Little Love Story instead and I really enjoyed it.  I even kept a bookmark in a page with a passage I thought was particularly poetic:

...I think what happens when you make love is that you communicate with the other person through a thousand secret channels.  Every place that your skin touches her skin is another little conversation.  You can't control those things the way you try to control a regular conversation; you can't decide what to say and what to keep from saying.  It's as if the hair on your arms and the skin of your shoulders and the bones of your legs all carry different bits of your whole history there inside the cells.  Everything that has happened to you, every thought and feeling and hope and sorrow, it's all stored there.  When you put your body against someone else's body the cells can't help but talk to each other, see where they match up and don't, make billions of calculations as to where your histories and dreams speak a common language, what might be the chances of a happy life for the two of you and your as yet unborn child...

That's some good writin' I think.

I'm going to go back to thinking about alternating narrators.  Elegance of the Hedgehog was the only one that popped to mind so far, but I know there're plenty of others out there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Did you mean Dobby and Kreacher. chazz? YOu know I don't know the name of the servant in Gone WIth the WInd, but didn't Hattie McDaniels get an oscar for that role? I was also thinking of Secret Life of Bees, but I couldn't remember for sure if there was a housekeeper angle -- I have a mind like a steel sieve. ALternating narrators I'm going to have to think about.  Does alternating point of view count?  The Elegance of the Hedgehog goes back and forth, I think. I'm every which way scatter-brained  today -- been running all day and am just grabbing a few moments for lunch before racing to pick up the wee one. 

ha! yes (brat).  I usually check, that's what I get for hurrying.

She did get an oscar, wasn't she the first African-American to get one?  (Mammy).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]A side note (hmn, not like we ever get off topic in this thread! :) I'm about to give up on Bruno Littlemore, I think.  The story got even more unbelievable, in terms of the characters' actions.  I don't mind outlandish premises as long as they're internally consistent and somehow justified within the book. On the other hand, I went looking for Breakfast with Buddha at my library.  It wasn't on the shelf, but I picked up Roland Merullo's A Little Love Story instead and I really enjoyed it.  I even kept a bookmark in a page with a passage I thought was particularly poetic: ...I think what happens when you make love is that you communicate with the other person through a thousand secret channels.  Every place that your skin touches her skin is another little conversation.  You can't control those things the way you try to control a regular conversation; you can't decide what to say and what to keep from saying.  It's as if the hair on your arms and the skin of your shoulders and the bones of your legs all carry different bits of your whole history there inside the cells.  Everything that has happened to you, every thought and feeling and hope and sorrow, it's all stored there.  When you put your body against someone else's body the cells can't help but talk to each other, see where they match up and don't, make billions of calculations as to where your histories and dreams speak a common language, what might be the chances of a happy life for the two of you and your as yet unborn child... That's some good writin' I think. I'm going to go back to thinking about alternating narrators.  Elegance of the Hedgehog was the only one that popped to mind so far, but I know there're plenty of others out there.

nice passage....I just ordered it from the library :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : ha! yes (brat).  I usually check, that's what I get for hurrying. She did get an oscar, wasn't she the first African-American to get one?  (Mammy).
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

:)  sorry -- I am in a particularly bratty mood lately.  :)  Also, not running on all cylinders either, so it actually took me a long while to figure out who dooby was -- my mind wandered in all the wrong directions!  Maybe I need more sleep.

Re:  Hattie McDaniels: I think she was -- and then the Academy patted itself on the back for being so enlightened and waited gee only another 20 or 30 years to do it again.  :-P

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Here's some titles with alternating narrators. 

Joanna’s Husband and David’s Wife  (Eliz Forsythe Hailey)

The Robber Bride   M Atwood

Cold Mountain  C Frazer

As I Lay Dying   Faulkner

Tracks  --Louise Erdrich

Merci, EESie. I just reserved The Elegance of the Hedgehog.  it's new to me and sounds tres intriguing. And if you think you're scatterbrained, believe me, I wrote the book.  

Finishing up The Devil in the White City.  It's fascinating but laborious (not a beach read!) so I'm glossing over the architectural chronicling ( the White City) and focusing on the gory parts (the Devil). 

I have another writing technique in mind, but I don't know what it's called.  When we're ready I'll supply a couple of examples and see where it leads...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Elkie:  The Devil in the WHite City -- is that the one about the assassination of McKinley?  If so, Walking is reading the new book by that author.  And I'm interested in your opinion, because I was thinking of reading it. 

And I'm interested in your opinion generally, for that matter.  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

That's a great quote sandy.  Finding that book was such an unexpected pleasure.  Golfing with God is still on my get to list chazz.

I picked up Issac's Storm a few years back by the same author as The Devil in the White City, Erik Larson.  I had never heard of the Galveston Hurricane before I read this - both riveting and appalling.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : nice passage....I just ordered it from the library :)
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

I forgot to say the most important thing!  (I told you I'm kind of scatterbrained lately :)  Thank you to everyone for the suggestion!  Because I would not have tried that author without the recommendation of our "club". 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

I hope everyone had a great weekend!  I went for a bike ride with some friends on the beach.  On the sand!  Early, early in the morning before the crowds arrived - it was amazing though my calves were kind of whining at me last night.

Are you ready to try you next idea Elkie? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I've never thought of (or heard of) biking on the beach, -callie.  I wouldn't have thought it was possible -- it must've been low tide?  Running on the beach is great exercise; biking must be awesome for strength conditioning!

And I was also wondering about Elkie's mystery topic!