1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

Morning all!  It's very quiet in here.  New topic - or not so much? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I think we were waiting for Elkie to post her anorexia/bulemia ideas.

I had some thoughts for some new topics -- but I can't remember most of them right now -- naturally!

How about books about or set during medieval times?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

It has been quiet in here. Then again, it is summertime and the livin' is easy...

How about:

Ivanhoe - Sir Walter Scott
    Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
    The Hunchback of Notre-Dame - Victor Hugo
    The Three Musketeers - Alexander Dumas

There are many others but these are just some I can remember that I've read over the years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I was thinking of

The Mists of Avalon (or is Arthur too early for medieval?)
    A Distant Mirror
    Terry Jones' Medieval Lives
    Elizabeth R -- Roy Strong

The Masque of the Red Death -- though this is just a short story

I never knew that there is a whole genre of medieval mysteries out there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Here's another theme -- an easy one, I think.  Books written by actors.

Maybe I should narrow that down, because it's too easy.  How about, books by actors that are NOT autobiographies or memoirs?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

also for Medieval theme: Eye of the Dragon - Stephen King

Books written by actors:
    the Hank Zipzer Series by Henry Winkler
    Tek War - William Shatner

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

These I've read:

The Liar -- Stephen Fry
    The Hippopotamus -- also by Stephen Fry
    Cruel Shoes -- Steve Martin
    Postcards from the Edge -- Carrie Fisher
    Without Feathers -- Woody Allen

These I haven't, though I think somewhere along the line I have read one of Julie Andrews' childrens books:
    Dumpy the Dumptruck -- Julie Andrews (et al)
    Today I Feel Silly -- Jamie Lee Curtis

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

You beat me sandy.  I thought of Carrie Fisher and Steve Martin right away.  How about this:

Bossypants, Tina Fey

It's supposed to be wickedly funny and not exactly a memoir.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

callie:  I think Tim Allen and Paul Reiser have written books that are only part memoirs -- Reiser on I think COuplehood, Parenthood and now he has some other -hood book out.  Bill Cosby, too.

There are other novels (and also non-fiction) out there though, but I'm resisting putting them down here, as someone else might mention them.  Easier to find with British actors than American (hint hint).

(This will probably be my last post for a while - Cry )  Enjoy the weekend all!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Well, thanks for the hint sandy - and then poofing :-)

Come back as soon as you can!

I posted a book on the BA site that made me think - how about books about the plague, or a plague?

Book of Wonders, Geraldine Brooks

I can think of others, but I'll hold off for now ... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Hi Callie - Happy Friday!

The Stand - Stephen King

Captain Trips is the plague...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

That's one of the ones I was thinking of Walking!  I thought you might come up with it :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Earler, I'd mentioned The Masque of the Red Death which is only a short story, and the only other one that comes to mind is easy -- The Plague by Albert Camus.

Unless we add non-fiction, because most medieval histories like The Distant Mirror talk about it too.

For a new theme, how about books about or set near lakes or with the word "lake" in the title?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

The Stand was the only one I could come up with .... :(  Did you have others, callie?

Lakes:

The Lake House - James Patterson
    The Raft - Stephen King (short story)

will think more on this.......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

catching up....

Anorexia:
    Life Size,  Jennifer Shute, novel
    Dancing on My Grave, Gelsey Kirkland memoir
    Great Expectations (Miss Havisham), Dickens novel
    Running in Heels, Helen Mexted. novel
    Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter, bio

Plagues: (bottom two on my TBR list)
    The Andromeda Strain, Chrichton
    The Cancer Ward, Solzhenitsyn
    The White Plague, Herbert
    The Years of Rice Salt, Robinson 

Lakes:  
    Bunny Lake is Missing (Piper or Modell)
    The Loch (: Alton :)
    Fire In The Lake  (Fitzgerald)
    Lake Woebegon Days (Keillor)

I just got my hands on three Geraldine Brooks books; will start March tonight.  

Have we done titles that include species of fish?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Fishing for an answer.......

Perchance to Dream Robert Parker
    Shark Girl - Bingham
    Cons and Cardsharks - Epstien
    Electric Barracuda - Dorsey
    Trout Fishing in America - Brautigan

not in the title, but, this is what came to mind first:
    Venus on the Half-Shell -- Kilgore Trout

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Very impressive list, Sandwich!
    All I could think of was One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish......  Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

I tip my vintage retro netted and feathered hat to you Sandeedee!   

I suggested the theme just for the halibut and then came up dry. 

All I can manage is: 
    Island of the Blue Dolphins (yeah yeah, Dolfs are mammals I know), and a series of plays entitled "Greater Tuna."  Also Sharkey's Machine (Diehl) which I never read, and Octopussy and The Living Daylights (Fleming)
    Pitiful. 

Another time maybe we can come up with literary (and not so literary) characters who have fishnames. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Ha!  The challenger is challenged!  :)

Don't be too impressed, I relied heavily on searching through amazon for fish names, and except for Trout Fishing in America (and Kilgore Trout), I'd never heard of the others -- mostly I'd thought of cookbooks and also various puzzle books (e.g. sudoku books -- Guppy Sudoku, Barracuda Sudoku, etc.)

How about beach reads -- books about or set near beaches?
    Did we do that already?  If so, we could limit it in some way -- to a certain region or to books that actually have "Beach" in the title.

Or another idea, books with "Summer" in the title -- the end of the summer is really getting to me, as you might be able to tell!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

I just checked out two books yesterday...Beach Music and Summer Blowout!

Beach:
    Beach Music - Pat Conroy
    Moon Shell Beach - Nancy Thayer
    Beachcombers - Nancy Thayer
    Beach Trip - Cathy Holton
    South Beach Diet
    The Beach Club - Elin Hildebrand
    Beach Road - James Patterson

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Wow!  That's a great list, chazz!

Off the top of my head, I could only think of Summer of '42 and a cheat -- Copper Beech by Maeve Binchy.

How about books with musical instruments in the title?  I have 2 in mind, including one I just checked out from the library (which I probably shouldn't have, since I'm still reading The Help and I need to finish it because I know I tend not to return to books I put down).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    [QUOTE]Wow!  That's a great list, chazz! Off the top of my head, I could only think of Summer of '42 and a cheat -- Copper Beech by Maeve Binchy. How about books with musical instruments in the title?  I have 2 in mind, including one I just checked out from the library (which I probably shouldn't have, since I'm still reading The Help and I need to finish it because I know I tend not to return to books I put down).
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

Sandy, how do you like The Help so far?  I loved that book.

Musical Instruments:
     Player Piano - Kurt Vonnegut
    The Little Drummer Boy - John Le Carre
    Guitar for Dummies ( Christmas Gift for Jake one year)
    The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown  .... stretching it.......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I just checked out The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass -- one of those I-always-meant-to-read-that-book books.  The other music one I'd thought of is on your list -- The Little Drummer Boy.  I love your Cymbal/Symbol pun!  (Also, I think the Vonnegut one is Player Piano -- I just looked up the title, not remembering the author.)

The Help I'm liking, but not loving.  I don't know why.  But I do like it a lot.  And I'm only half way through.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Fixed, thank you, sandwich...looks like a touch of dyxlexia sneaking in..........

Read a ton of his books and worked with his grandson.  He didn't mention his relationship until he left work, so I never got a book signed.  Was so mad!

I just quit Beach Music halfway through.....sometimes you just can't get into certain books.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I guess we need another theme, though I did find an amazing number of books with "flute" in the title.

Since we did beach/summer books, the next logical topic might be back-to-school -- sigh.   How about books set in college or partly set in college?