1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

The Group  -- Mary McCarthy
    Class Reunion  --Rona Jaffee
    Love Story  -- Erich Segal
    The Harrad Experiment  -- Rimmer
    Gaudy Night --Sayers
    The Paper Chase ---??? (too sleepy to look it up)

There must be newer ones!  It's just that I don't seek out fiction any more; haven't for years.  Fiction has to find me.  Speaking of which: 

just finished Year Of Wonders.  In some respects sublime, in some respects ridiculous.  Overall however, it's the kind of story I like (sprung from historical factoids), and made my own problems seem small! I have two more Geraldine's on deck, and still awaiting Caleb's Crossing

When we're ready, books titles that are alliterative, example = Caleb's Crossing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Those are good ones, Elkie!  I thought of The Group, an then my brain stopped working, even though I've read many of the books on your list.

You mentioned Gaudy Night.  I've read all of Sayers and I was wondering if you've read any Josephine Tey?  She is awesome.  I think I will check and see if my library has any of her stuff that I haven't already read.

BTW, I wanted to mentioned that Roland Merullo was interviewed (briefly) in last Sunday's Ideas/Books section of the Globe.  It was in the Book Lovers column -- the one where they ask someone what they like to read.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Alliteration:

Janet Evanovich
     Fearless Fourteen
     Finger-Licking Fifteen
     Sizzling Sixteen

Dennis Lehane - Moonlight Mile (loved it)
    James Patterson- Cross Country
    Michael Connelly
      Lost Light
      Lincoln Lawyer

Sandy, wish I'd seen that interview.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

chazz:  you can find it right here on bdc under a&e/books -- but here's the link:

http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2011/08/21/author_roland_merullo_of_talk_funny_girl_on_feeling_pull_of_the_spiritual/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

alliteration -- haven't given it much thought yet, but there's always:

Pride and Prejudice
    Sense and Sensibility
    Fear of Flying
    Love Letters

(all of these aren't exactly alliterative in the same way as Elkie suggested)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    chazz:  you can find it right here on bdc under a&e/books -- but here's the link: http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2011/08/21/author_roland_merullo_of_talk_funny_girl_on_feeling_pull_of_the_spiritual/
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich

Thanks, Sandy.  Geez,  I could never read 4 or 5 books at once...if I have to put a book down for a while, I have to go back a few pages to remember what's going on!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I often read more than one at once -- but it's more that I put one down because it's annoying me, thinking I'll go back and finish it.  So, I'll say I'm reading 5 at once, but I'm really giving up on 4 and maybe reading one.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Great lists chazz and sandee!

More alliteration:

A Tale of Two Cities

Of Mice and Men

Mr Popper’s Penguins

Gossip Girl

Wind In The Willows

The Great Gatsby

Sandee, I read Gaudy Night a million years ago but it was years later that I realized Dorothy Sayers was prolific and a big deal.  I think I'll revisit once I'm over my Geraldine Brooks phase.

next:  I'm tempted to suggest "stormy weather"  but did we already do that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Elkie:  I love Sayers, but Josephine Tey is a step above her, I think.  Sayers is great detective fiction candy (and I love it), but Tey's stuff has an extra depth to it.

I think stormy weather is a great topic.  One comes to mind immediately, but I think I'll try to think up some that are not so obvious.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Ok, Sandwich, then I'll use it....Perfect Storm?

I'll try for more too Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Storm Surge: A Novel of Hurricane Katrina
    The Hurricane  -- Nordhoff and Hall
    The Hurricane Wake
    Castle in the Swamp
    Midnight Waltz
    Storms, Floods and Sunshine; An Autobiography - Isaac Cline

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

storms are featured in: (best I can do fiction-wise right now)

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
    Moby Dick
    Message in a Bottle  
    Nights in Rodanthe  
    The Weight of Water 
    Category Five
    Stormy Weather: The Life of Lena Horne Tongue out

New theme: "abandoned baby or child"  (outside of Dickens!)

Essie, I'll check out Josephine Tey.  Thank you, all, for helping me get out of my memoir rut.  Not that it's easy....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Abandoned baby or child? 

Off the top of my head....

The Golden Compass
    Borderliners
    A Little Princess
    Tarzan

Light on Snow (Shreve) -- this one I saw on line, so it's not from the top of my head.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Actually  it was Light On Snow that inspired the theme!  It came to mind when I listed The Weight of Water (Shreve) under the stormy whether theme. I really liked Light, it's probably the only Shreve I've read that I really liked (I read it during a sad passage-of-life and it helped me turn the corner so to speak)

Oedipus Rex

Snow White

The Jungle Book

Passenger (Jane Yolen)

Jane Eyre

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I don't think I've read any of SHreve's books.  My husband read one of her books and really hated it....I think it was her anyway -- The Pilot's Wife, if I'm remembering correctly.  Not that we have the same taste in books, but with so many books and so little time, she got filtered out of my lists.

I just started The Tin Drum.  It's not a quick read, but I'm enjoying it a lot. 

For the next theme, how about angels and/or messages from the dead?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I don't think I've read any of SHreve's books.  My husband read one of her books and really hated it....I think it was her anyway -- The Pilot's Wife, if I'm remembering correctly.  Not that we have the same taste in books, but with so many books and so little time, she got filtered out of my lists. I just started The Tin Drum.  It's not a quick read, but I'm enjoying it a lot.  For the next theme, how about angels and/or messages from the dead?

Hmn, maybe I should've picked a different theme?  Besides Harry Potter and A Christmas Carol, I'm drawing a bit of a blank.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Hey Sandy!
    I've read some books with dead or angels in the title, but they don't talk to them...

Play Dead - Harlan Coben
    What the Dead Know- Laura Lippman
    Angels - Marian Keyes
    Turning Angel - Greg Iles

did you have a topic in mind?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

I don't think I've read any of SHreve's books.  My husband read one of her books and really hated it....I think it was her anyway -- The Pilot's Wife, if I'm remembering correctly.  Not that we have the same taste in books, but with so many books and so little time, she got filtered out of my lists. I just started The Tin Drum.  It's not a quick read, but I'm enjoying it a lot.  For the next theme, how about angels and/or messages from the dead?

I didn't really lie The Pilot's Wife either...I think the guy had 2 families.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Not very well versed in Shakespeare, but

Hamlet

and not a message from the dead, but Death as a character: 

The Book Thief

This is harder than it seems like it should be!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : I didn't really lie The Pilot's Wife either...I think the guy had 2 families.
    Posted by chazz508

Good morning sandy and chazz!

I started one of Shreve's books and didn't finish it.  Not a big fan either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

This is a toughie! I like it!!  Here's what I've come up with. Don't ask me to defend my offerings, mostly they're a stretch....  

Banquo   MacBeth

Susie (via Ruth)  The Lovely Bones

Audrey Rose  Audrey Rose

Apparition?   The Girl In A Swing

Catherine    Message In a Bottle

Demon    The Exorcist 

Gibreel Farishta  The Satanic Verses

Jennie   Portrait Of Jennie

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I think The Lovely Bones is the recent book I was trying to think of-- that's the one where the murdered girl contacts her sister or something, right?

New theme, anyone?  I'll give it some thought, too -- right now I'm taking my son out for a last meal -- um, well, actually, I'm taking him out to his favorite doughnut shop on the first-day-of-school-eve.

Have a great Labor Day, all!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Lovely Bones!  I was trying to think of that one too, though as I think I've mentioned here before, never read it never will.

New topic?  Something sticking with Labor Day?  Two different routes came to mind.  Either books set in industries eventually unionized, or characters working in fields that are typically within union a umbrella.

The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory 
    The Pullman Strike

This came to the top of my head - I'll give it some more thought.  Enjoy the beautiful day!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I found a list of suggested union-themed books, but that seems like cheating, so I'm going to list some individual titles:

The Homestead Strike of 1892 -- A. Burgoyne
    Triangle:  A Novel  -- K. Weber
    Ashes of Roses -- Mary Jane Auch (this is a novel also)
    Labor and Freedom -- Eugene Debs
    Revolution in Pennsylvania:  A History of the Railroad Union Strike
            and the "Great Uprising of 1877" -- J A Dacus
    Streets, Railroads, and the Great Strike of 1877 -- David Stowell

Perhaps if more people knew the history of unions, they'd appreciate the valuable role they play.  Happy Labor Day, all!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Labor/Strike oriented: 

How Green Was My Valley (Llewellyn) 
    The Jungle (Sinclair)
    In Dubious Battle (Steinbeck)
    7 1/2cents (Bissell)  Became the musical "The Pajama Game"

Sections
Shortcuts