1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

Assassination Vacation - Sarah Vowell
    Summer of '42 - Herman Raucher
    Jaws - Peter Benchley

OK - the last two may be a stretch but they were both in beach communities, in the summer, sort of, kind of vacation-like...

And, not wanting to get hit by Callie's cracking whip - the vacation theme is still open Innocent

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

More vacation books...

The Postcard Killers - James Patterson (not fun vacations for the characters!)
    Beach Trip - Cathy Holton
    Beach Club - Elin Hildebrand (all her books take place in Nantucket, nice beach-read)
    Moonshell Beach - Nancy Thayer

any more......

new topic?....favorite scary books?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

A Room with a View came to mind for vacations....also Travels with My Aunt.  I think there's another one similar to A Room with a View, but it's escaping me at the moment.

As for scary books, I'm not an afficionado, so my choices would be kind of tame:

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson 
       (plus The Haunting of Hill House and other stories).
    Dracula Bram Stoker
    Frankenstein  Mary Shelley
    The Telltale Heart and anything else by Edgar Allen Poe

I won't post a new category, because I'm sure someone else has a scarier list (though to me, Jackson and Poe really deliver plenty :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

vacation:
    A Passage To India (also by Forster)
    Portofino --Frank Schaeffer
    The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants --Brashares
    Suddenly Last Summer --Tenn Williams (a play, but a riveting read just the same.) 

scary stuff: 
    Deliverance, James Dickey (also a vacation story lol!)
    The Shining, S King
    The Exorcist.  (I slept with the light on for ages!)

Sandy, I salute you because I have tried and tried to read Frankenstein, but the reading level or something is too high for me. I just can't comprehend it on a sentence by sentence basis.  Same goes for Moby Dick.

Next.  Set on another planet.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

The book that made me stop reading Stephen King - Pet Sematary.  I still don't know how it ended :-)

back to : set on another planet

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    The book that made me stop reading Stephen King - Pet Sematary.  I still don't know how it ended :-) back to : set on another planet
    Posted by -callie

Morning Callie! In regards to Pet Sematary, suffice to say they all died in the end Innocent

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : Morning Callie! In regards to Pet Sematary, suffice to say they all died in the end
    Posted by WalkingTheWalk

Awwwww,  Walking!   Giving away the ending -- sheesh!    :)

Elekktra -- I did read Frankenstein, but it was probably back in high school when I read everything -- now my nightstand is full of books I haven't managed to finish, and many of them are the books "everyone" is reading.  My tolerance is really low -- it's like the older I get, the less patience I have, or maybe I feel the clock ticking!  I have never gotten into Moby Dick either -- but I really do think it's a book that appeals to men more than women, because the whole quest makes me want to slap every one of them -- and then throw them overboard to the orcas.  Leave the damn whale alone already!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : Morning Callie! In regards to Pet Sematary, suffice to say they all died in the end
    Posted by WalkingTheWalk

Well that's illuminating!  Thanks, Walking Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Okay:  set on another planet, I guess that's my bailiwick

Slaughterhouse-Five    (Vonnegut)
    The Vor Game   (Bujold)
    Leviathans of Jupiter  (Ben Bova -- plus, Mars, Venus, other books...)
    Moving Mars  (Greg Bear)
    Xenocide  (Orson Scott Card)

I haven't read all of these, but I probably purchased them -- my DH is a big SF fan.

Next topic:  Nautical themes

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

The Heart of the Sea, true story about the ship Essex breached and shipwrecked by a whale
    The Hungry Ocean, by Linda Greenlaw who captained the sister ship to:
    The Perfect Storm's Andrea Gail
    Moby Dick
    The Old Man and the Sea
    Horatio Hornblower series.  Okay, I only saw some of the PBS shows
    Mutiny on the Bounty

So many books that I just cannot remember the titles to and googling isn't helping FrownThey'll probably come to me in my sleep.  I need a better memory.

I'll leave it open as there's tons more.  Excellent theme sandy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Middlesex --Eugenides  (anyone read this?  coloratura style of writing.  for me it                                    got old fast. 
    Mayflower --Philbrick 
    Billy Budd --Melville
    Treasure Island --Stevenson
    Run Silent, Run Deep --Beach

I have a new category in mind.  Let me know when you're ready! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

There are all the Patrick O'Brien books, plus loads by Capt. Frederick Marryat -- a contemporary of Nelson who actually lived the stories he told.  (So O'Brien is fiction written now about then, and Marryat is fiction written then about then.)  Plus:

The Lure of Sailing
    Ship of Gold
    Over the Edge of the World
    Sea Change

These are all on my shelves, but my hubby is the sailor, not me -- so if you want to know if any of them are any good, I'll have to pass the message on to him.  :)

Okay, I'm done, Elekktra -- fire away with a new category!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

There are all the Patrick O'Brien books, plus loads by Capt. Frederick Marryat -- a contemporary of Nelson who actually lived the stories he told.  (So O'Brien is fiction written now about then, and Marryat is fiction written then about then.)  Plus: The Lure of Sailing Ship of Gold Over the Edge of the World Sea Change These are all on my shelves, but my hubby is the sailor, not me -- so if you want to know if any of them are any good, I'll have to pass the message on to him.  :) Okay, I'm done, Elekktra -- fire away with a new category!
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich

ok, one more nautical (more a short story) The Raft - Stephen King ..really gave me the creeps.

Elekktra, I never read The Exorcist, but saw it in the theater when I was young.  Was scared to death and would not put my feet down in the theater because I was sure the devil was under there!!!

New theme?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : ok, one more nautical (more a short story) The Raft - Stphen King ..really gave me the creeps. Elekktra, I never read The Exorcist, butr saw it in the theater when I was young.  Was scared to death and would not put my feet down in the theater because I was sure the devil was under there!!! New theme?
    Posted by chazz508

Nazi(s)   (Heck, I don't know the plural of nazi) 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : Nazi(s)   (Heck, I don't know the plural of nazi) 
    Posted by Elekktra

Nazis, that's a good one!

Winds of War
    Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
    Diary of Anne Frank
    Eye of the Needle

it's really bothering me, does any one know the one with the Nazi occupation in Denmark, where it starts really slowly and half the people go along with it, just read it a couple of years ago, was really good ....hate my memory now!!

more?......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Marathon Man
    Rise and Fall Of The Third Reich
    Mila 18
    Goodbye to Berlin

I'm going to look up GLandPPS at amazon along with Capt F Marryat

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

The Eagle Has Landed
    Schindler's List
    The Book Thief

Gurnsey is a great choice Elkie.  Did you read Mayflower?  It's on my bookshelf but I couldn't seem to get through it.  Maybe I should give it another try.

We could segue naturally into a more general WWII theme.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : Nazis, that's a good one! Winds of War Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society Diary of Anne Frank Eye of the Needle it's really bothering me, does any one know the one with the Nazi occupation in Denmark, where it starts really slowly and half the people go along with it, just read it a couple of years ago, was really good ....hate my memory now!! more?......
    Posted by chazz508

chazz -- was it originally written in Danish?  My favorite author is Danish, but I've been sitting on a bunch of his books, because I want to be able to read them without offspring-interruptus.  :-/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Hmn....WWII....another subject area I read a ton about when I was in high school, but I haven't read much since then (middle age brain atrophy).

Slaughterhouse-Five fits for this too.
    Snow Falling on Cedars (David Guterson)
         -- partly about Japanese internment camps
    King Rat  (James Clavell)
    Hiroshima (John Hersey)

I was going to add The Guns of August, but that's WWI.  I can think of others, but those are ones I know I read (once upon a time).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

More WW II:

Band of Brothers
    No Ordinary Time
    The Greatest Generation
    Suite Francaise
    The Piano Teacher

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

WWII in the Pacific

Goodbye Darkness - William Manchester
    Flags of Our Fathers - Ron Powers
    The Rising Sun - John Toland

Good morning Callie!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Morning Walking!  Thought you might like this theme :-)

Do you have an idea for the next?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Have we done weather related books yet? We're definitely having some heavy weather here right now Frown

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Harper Connelly Mysteries, written by Charlaine Harris, author of the True Blood series.  The main character is able to locate dead bodies (not grusome; light read with humor) after being struck by lightning.

No One Thinks of Greenland, about a secret US military hospital (post Korean war I think) where the weather is pivotal to character and plot development. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Good one, callie......I could only think of one.  Haven't read it yet, but have requested it at the library.

Heat Wave - Nancy Thayer

When we are done with weather, may I suggest books about the Mob, in honor of Whitey's capture?  (Irish, Italian, whatever...)

Sections
Shortcuts