1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

The Rainmaker
    The Rains of Ranchipur
    Raintree Country

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Isn't there a charcter in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who it always rains on, and he sells his services -- like resorts pay him to not come near them?

I think it's in the first book -- here's a quote from it:

"And as he drove on, the rain clouds dragged down the sky after him for, though he did not know it, Rob McKenna was a Rain God. All he knew was that his working days were miserable and he had a succession of lousy holidays. All the clouds knew was that they loved him and wanted to be near him, to cherish him and water him."

(back to next category -- The Mob)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    [QUOTE]Isn't there a charcter in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who it always rains on, and he sells his services -- like resorts pay him to not come near them? I think it's in the first book -- here's a quote from it: "And as he drove on, the rain clouds dragged down the sky after him for, though he did not know it, Rob McKenna was a Rain God. All he knew was that his working days were miserable and he had a succession of lousy holidays. All the clouds knew was that they loved him and wanted to be near him, to cherish him and water him." (back to next category -- The Mob)
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

Wasn't there an old cartoon character that always had a cloud over him too?
    Hey Sandwich, go try the new music game jessey posted.  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : Wasn't there an old cartoon character that always had a cloud over him too? Hey Sandwich, go try the new music game jessey posted.  :)
    Posted by chazz508

Joe Btfsplk, a L'il Abner character

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game :   Joe Btfsplk, a L'il Abner character
    Posted by Elekktra[/QUOTE]
    yes! thank you Elekktra, that would have bothered me all day!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I remembered the Lil Abner character, but even seeing the name, it still doesn't ring a bell (the name, I mean).  But then, " Btfsplk" doesn't exactly trip off the tongue.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Makes me think of Peanuts:

Pigpen

chazz - you might like Charlaine Harris.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Makes me think of Peanuts: Pigpen chazz - you might like Charlaine Harris.
    Posted by -callie[/QUOTE]

That does sound like something I would like....any particular book in the series I should start with?

(Just looked her up in my library listings and there are 211 entries! ) 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I don't know many Mob related books, but here's a few:

THe Godfather
    The Last Don
    The Cosa Nostra
    Underboss

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Other Mob books:

Wiseguy - Great book they based Goodfellas off of
    Black Mass (just given to me by jkj to read....he says it's the best Whitey book)
    When Evil Rules (local Cape Cod Mob)
    The Firm (they working for the mob )

others?

sandy, new topic?

if not, I just finished one about an alcoholic...have we done alcohol and/or drug addiction?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Harris has 4 series.  The HBO True Blood show is based on her Sookie Stackhouse series.  I liked the Harper Connelly "Grave" ones best I think, then Sookie Stackhouse.  Aurora Teagarden was my least favorite.

http://www.fictiondb.com/author/charlaine-harris~series-list~20193.htm

Her books were a bit of an addiction in my house a couple of summers ago :-)   The rawness of the HBO show caught me off guard though.  Haven't seen many of those (I don't get HBO - had to rent what I did see). 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Because it was Whitely Bulger, nothin' but Whitey Bulger on the radio today, I heard the author of these books being interviewed or talked about:

Street Soldier, Edward MacKenzie, Jr.
    Brutal:  The Untold Story of My Life Inside Whitey Bulger's Irish Mob, Kevin Weeks
    The Brothers Bulger, Howie Carr (I think I attempted this, but couldn't get through it)

the only one I've read:

All Souls, Michael Patrick MacDonald 

back to alcohol/drug addiction

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Harris has 4 series.  The HBO True Blood show is based on her Sookie Stackhouse series.  I liked the Harper Connelly "Grave" ones best I think, then Sookie Stackhouse.  Aurora Teagarden was my least favorite. http://www.fictiondb.com/author/charlaine-harris~series-list~20193.htm Her books were a bit of an addiction in my house a couple of summers ago :-)   The rawness of the HBO show caught me off guard though.  Haven't seen many of those (I don't get HBO - had to rent what I did see). 

Thanks for the link, callie!  Just ordered Grave Sight.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Manchild in the Promised  Land  --Claude Brown
    Will There REally Be A Morning  --Francis Farmer 
    The Man with the Golden Arm  -- Algren (I think)
    A Million Little Pieces   --James Frey
    Life  --Keith Richards.    Total gobbledegook. 
    In The Matter Of Karen Quinlan  --????

I read a lot of The Brothers Bulger.  Fascinating account, but Howie Carr couldn't or wouldn't keep his "hack politician" editorializing out of his narrative. For me it got in the way and made his telling of the duo quite tiresome. 

Next:  Road Trips

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Can't stand Howie Carr either...he wrote several scathing articles on a friend of mine without getting any of the facts.  The man ended up winning his case in court, but Howie never retracted any of his false statements or reported the end results of the case.  Anything for sensationalism.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : Thanks for the link, callie!  Just ordered Grave Sight.
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

Hope they're perfect for you and your beach chair!  And I  see you've got your flips and beach bag, but where is your umbrella drink?  Cabana boy (aka jake) on his way?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : Hope they're perfect for you and your beach chair!  And I  see you've got your flips and beach bag, but where is your umbrella drink?  Cabana boy (aka jake) on his way?

I know!  I searched a long time for a good beach picture with a drink and eventual just settled !!!  I like yours though, definitely gives off happy vibes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

I think you summed up Carr's book nicely Elkie.  I just couldn't get through it.  

What a story chazz.  It came down to a lawsuit?  How terrible for your friend.  I don't follow Carr, but one of the authors I mentioned - Kevin Weeks - is really rough on him too, at least according to an excerpt I read.  It makes me want to read his book now (Weeks, not Carr).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Book Theme Game : I know!  I searched a long time for a good beach picture with a drink and eventual just settled !!!  I like yours though, definitely gives off happy vibes.
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

Oh, yours looks pretty content too!  Besides, if you're talking beach and ocean it's hard to go wrong :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter Thompson
    The Hobbit or There and Back Again - J.R.R. Tolkein
    Breakfast With Buddha - Roland Merullo

I'm sure there are many more so let's leave it open and see...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

For road trips:

On the Road   Jack Kerouac
    The Lightning Thief  - Rick Riordan
    The Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck
    A Walk in the Woods -- Bill Bryson

Those are off the top of my head -- okay, the last one was out of the middle of my head.

If we're looking for a new topic, perhaps books where the lead character is a thief or criminal....I'm hoping there are a bunch out there, though only one is coming to mind at the moment. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Lead character is a Criminal:

The Winner - David Baldacci
    Nineteen Minutes - Jodi Picoult
    Whispers and Lies - Joy Fielding
    Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens

More?  Which one were you thinking of, sandy?

If not, anyone have a new topic?  Can't think of one right now......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

road trips (pushin' the edge of the envelope...)

Around The World in 80 Days (Verne)
    The Road  (McCarthy)
    Travels with My Aunt (Greene)
    Paper Moon (Brown)
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance 

Lead character is a criminal:

Perfume: Story of a Murderer (Suskind)
    The Cops Are Robbers (Clemente)
    The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Pyle etc) 
    Macbeth  (Wm S)
    The Godfather (Puzo)

next:  May/December romance

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

The one I'm thinking of is a book I looooved:  Something Missing by Matthew Dicks.  There's also The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie, which has a twist which I won't give away.

Something Missing is about an extremely unusual thief.  He has OCD, and he comes up with a very odd sort of way to make a living.  Basically, he realizes that people tend not to miss small items around the house -- one roll of toilet paper, or an extra pound of meat in a freezer, and he breaks into houses stealing those small items.  Okay, that sounds weird rather than good, but the book actually is good (and maybe weird too).  8-)

I'll have to think of another topic -- or maybe go steal one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Elekktra posted May/December romance as the next topic.  That's a good one, El!

Sections
Shortcuts