1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

I'm struggling with this one.  But I googled the the first person I thought of :

Hef's Little Black Book

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

I meant to write May/SEPTEMBER.  A little easier, eh?  Also how 'bout we open up the theme to include special relationships, not just romance.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    [QUOTE]I'm struggling with this one.  But I googled the the first person I thought of : Hef's Little Black Book
    Posted by -callie[/QUOTE]

Ha! good one, callie! (I'm ashamed to admit but a few times I watched The Girls Next Door!)

I was thinking Jane Eyre, but I read it at least 20 years ago and when I googled it they didn't mention a big age difference......was he a lot older?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

There's Emma -- Mr. Knightley is enough older than Emma to qualify.  And in Sense and Sensibiity I think Col. Brandon is older than Marianne.

-callie:  Hefner would be March/December!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Not being well read in this genre about the only thing I can offer is The Thorn Birds by Colleen MCullough. And I actually read it many, many moons ago...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Yes, I too had Emma, Jane Eyre in mind, and good calls with Sense and Sensi, and The Thornbirds. 

Also: 
    Tales Of The South Pacific (Nellie and Emile storyline)
    Tim by Colleen Mcullough) !!!
    Harold and Maude  I'm not sure if the novel spawned the movie or if the movie spawned the novelization, but the novel is well-crafted.
    Middlemarch (Dorothea and Casaubon)
    Rebecca  (maybe. I was never clear on Maxim's age, but the 2nd Mrs DeWinter is very young.) 
    Lolita
    Great Big Beautiful DollThe Anna Nicole Smith Story.  (ha ha ha) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Good picks for March/May/September/December relationships!

How about a suggestion for the next theme?  

Books that inspired scary movies.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Good picks for March/May/September/December relationships! How about a suggestion for the next theme?   Books that inspired scary movies.  
    Posted by -callie[/QUOTE]

Jaws - Peter Benchley (ruined night swimming for me)

Stephen King:
    It (still see that clown in the winter when I leave for work in the dark)
    The Stand (my favorite of his)
    Misery (could not make it through the book after the bucket scene, yuk)

more?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Cold Blood -- Truman Capote

Scary news story, scary book, scary movie.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

chazz - exactly what I was thinking.  Jaws and Stephen King, except for me Cujo.

The Stand was my favorite of his too.

The Exorcist
    Children of the Corn - just googled; another Stephen King
    Frankenstein
    Dracula

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Any ideas for our next topic?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Any ideas for our next topic?
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

How about fictional books roughly based on real people....?  ( I just have one in mind.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Ooooh -- that's a good one!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

The Devil Wears Prada, Anna Wintour
    To Kill a Mockingbird, Dill - Truman Capote

and wrong genre, but Citizen Kane - William Randolph Hearst  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Burr -- Gore Vidal about Aaron Burr
    Lincoln  -- also Gore Vidal

Those aren't roughly based on real people, though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

I think Dominick Dunne did a few roughly based on people of high society.

Two really good ones I read were

The Two Mrs. Grenvilles and
    A Season in Purgatory - based on Michael Skakel's murder of Martha Moxley.  I think the book may have even helped in getting him arrested....?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Bonfire of the Vanities is based on real people.  One reason why I didn't like the book -- I thought Wolfe pretty much just copied the headlines out of the Daily News for a year -- no original plot whatsoever.

And I thought maybe The Great Gatsby was supposed to be inspired by a real person.    I was going to post it before, but then I thought not, and then I saw callie's comment on the book WA about Cornelius Vanderbilt -- which reminded me of the Great Gatsby -- maybe we are running around the same circles too much, callie!  8-D 

Don't mind me -- the kids are out of school and I am already going a bit stir crazy.  Yeah, that's it -- blame it on the kids!  ;)

Hey, maybe that's a good next topic:  Bad Mothers  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Bonfire of the Vanities is based on real people.  One reason why I didn't like the book -- I thought Wolfe pretty much just copied the headlines out of the Daily News for a year -- no original plot whatsoever. And I thought maybe The Great Gatsby was supposed to be inspired by a real person.    I was going to post it before, but then I thought not, and then I saw callie's comment on the book WA about Cornelius Vanderbilt -- which reminded me of the Great Gatsby -- maybe we are running around the same circles too much, callie!  8-D  Don't mind me -- the kids are out of school and I am already going a bit stir crazy.  Yeah, that's it -- blame it on the kids!  ;) Hey, maybe that's a good next topic:  Bad Mothers    
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

Excellent choice.........first one that pops in my mind has to be Mommy Dearest!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

I think this is the most challenging exercise yet, Chazzy. "roman a clef???"

An Inconvenient Woman (M.Monroe) --Dominick Dunne

After the Fall  (a dramatic play written by Arthur Miller and is a retelling of his years married to M Monroe

Primary Colors (The Clintons)  --Joe Klein

The Fountainhead (Frank Lloyd Wright) --Ayn Rand

Valley of the Dolls (Ethel Merman; Grace Kelley; Frances Farmer or Judy Garland or Betty Hutton; Carol Landis or Marilyn Monroe, and a little JFK for good measure...

There's more.  This one will take some percolating.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Bad mommies.

East of Eden.  --Steinbeck
    Small Sacrifices --Ann Rule
    The Manchurian Candidate  --R Condon
    Sybil --Flora Rheta Schreiber

In ancient Greek literature:
    Clytemnestra (mother of Elektra, yikes!) 
    Medea 

I have a category in mind, but let's have some fun with this one. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]I think this is the most challenging exercise yet, Chazzy. "roman a clef???"  There's more.  This one will take some percolating.  
    Posted by Elekktra[/QUOTE]

On The Road -Jack Kerouac ( jkj wants to make sure I credit him with this one)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

A few more bad moms:

Prince of Tides - Pat Conroy
    Whispers and Lies - Joy Fielding
    The Nanny Diaries - Emma McLaughlin

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

The 19th Wife; the narrator's mother, a Latter Day Saint spouse of a polygamist, drops him off on the side of the road at 14 yoa without money or lifeskills to fend for himself because the leader of her church told her to do so.  geesh!

Carrie, Stephen King

Hi to jake! 

How's everything going these days, chazz?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

19th Wife - That's just what happened to Bill in Big Love.  Loved that show, couldn't find anyone else that watched it!

Got good news the other day.  No chemo, just radiation. (Thank goodness, I know some women can pull it off, but I would not be an attractive bald lady!!)Laughing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]19th Wife - That's just what happened to Bill in Big Love.  Loved that show, couldn't find anyone else that watched it! Got good news the other day.  No chemo, just radiation. (Thank goodness, I know some women can pull it off, but I would not be an attractive bald lady!!)
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

That's great news, chazz!!!!   

I'll watch a show about one woman and 19 husbands but the other way around is just not that interesting.  ;)   Actually, we don't get HBO -- just had it for free for a few months and I don't think I got to watch it even once, as our tv is always tuned to Nick or Disney -- or Science/History/Discovery when the hubby has the remote. 

Sections
Shortcuts