1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Re: Book Theme Game

Hi Sandwich, I just finished Going Postal and loved it.  I admit I was hesitant at first when I saw the main character's name was Moist*.....but I did like it.

I thought it was cool when Moist did not try to take down the corrupt clack system (owned by the rich, evil men) because it was "too big to fail".  This was written in 2004, I thought that idea wasn't around until the Bush/Obama bank bailout. 

* when we're ready for a new theme, maybe characters with really strange names ?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Speaking of banks, the followup to Going Postal is Making Money, where Moist is "encouraged" to take over the banking system (and mint).  It was good, but not quite as engaging as the first one, because, I think, banking is more esoteric.  And maybe more aggravating.

I like the idea of books with funny named characters!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

For funny names, Dickens is filled with them:
    Martin Chuzzlewit, Mr. Micawber, Uriah Heep, Wackford Squeers, Ebeneezer Scrooge etc etc.....

From Joseph Heller's Catch 22:  Major Major, Milo Minderbender

From One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest:  Nurse Ratched

From Midnight Cowboy:  Ratso Rizzo

From Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:  Zaphod Beeblebrox

From Vanity Fair:  Lord Binkie, Lady Bareacres

I'm sure there's loads of others.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Idgie Threadgoode          Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Café

Pooky Adams                The Sterile Cuckoo

Siddalee Walker           Little Alters… & Divine Secrets…..

Kilgore Trout                 Breakfast of Champions (a recurring character in                                            Kurt Vonnegut fiction)

Paris Trout                   Paris Trout 

Quoyle                        The Shipping News

Zooey Glass                Zooey (JD Salinger recurring character)

Well, my brain is fried thank you very much

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Albus Dumbleodre, etc. - Harry Potter series :-)
    Sookie Stackhouse - True Blood series
    Huckleberry Finn - growing up, I used to wish I had a friend named Huckleberry  

lots of characters in children's series, especially Dr. Seuss

Sylvester McMonkey McBean
    Yertle the Turtle
    even Sam I Am

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Because it's in the title I'm reading now & I think it would be an easy theme after the long weekend:

Paris

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Paris:

A Tale of Two Cities
    The Scarlet Pimpernel
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    The Exploits of Arsene Lupin by Maurice LeBlanc

I was thinking of The Marble Faun, but that seems to be Rome, not Paris.  And I also thought of War and Peace, which I thought was at least partly set in Paris, but I'm not sure that's right either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Almost French  --Sarah Turnbull
    The DaVinci Code:  --Dan Brown   (not entirely in Paris / nitpick)
    Marie Curie: A Life:  --Susan Quinn
    Gigi  --Colette
    Madeleine (children's book series) --Bemelmans
    The Phantom of the Opera   --Gaston Leroux

Next:  Books that you absolutely adored that were NOT made into a movie (at least not yet).  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

hmm, Elkie.  Thought I had a couple, but nope.  This is tricky :-)  Did you have some in mind?

My "Paris" book is "The Paris Wife".  I reserved it at the library on a recommendation and when I went to pick it up the librarian was all super enthusiastic, so fingers crossed :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

This is a tough one.  I read The Help last summer and loved it.  When I googled it for the author, I found they are coming out with the movie in August.

Just picked up Wesley the Owl.  My librarian hadn't read it yet, but raved about the cover!  (he is cute.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I have one:  Borderliners by Peter Hoeg.  My favorite book, but I don't think the reading experience would translate to film at all.  Just like with Smilla's Sense of Snow -- I read that and loved it, but really didn't even think of it as a mystery till it was picked up as a movie -- the pleasure of that book was not in the mystery, but in the writing.

I started reading Borderliners on the Long Island Railroad.  I could never get absorbed in a book on the train, because of all the noise and of the need to keep an eye on what station is coming up.  With Borderliners, I looked up and realized that I was almost at my stop (on a one hour train ride).  I also realized at that point (as I came up for air), that the base of my spine was tingling.  My experience reading that book was that I was reading it not with my prefrontal cortex, but with the most primitive part of my brain -- the cerebellum and central nervous system.

Have I mentioned that I LOVE that book?

My main regret though was that I did not have uninterrupted days to complete the book and continue that intense reading experience.  Hence we come to my personal Peter Hoeg Paradox.  I love his writing, but I put off reading his books, because I keep thinking I should wait till I'm on vacation (or my kids go to college!) in case the next book I pick up is like Borderliners.  (So The Quiet Girl has been on my shelf for years, and I haven't read that much of History of Danish Dreams either -- but that's more because HDD I think you really need to be Danish to appreciate.)

Anyway, I don't think Borderliners would make a good movie -- or maybe it would, but you would lose the essence of the book.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

BTW, I notice on Amazon that out of 49 reviews, 28 people gave it 5 stars, but 2 gave it only 2 stars and 2 others gave it 1.  So apparently, it's not unanimous.  Or maybe those 4 people are too evolved and are no longer in touch with their cerebellums.  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

I love, love when I get so caught up in what I'm reading that when I emerge from the fog I cannot believe how much time has passed!  Borderliners - you've given me another book to add to my must read list, sandy.  

But prefrontal cortex?  Cerebellum?  Ouch.  That hurts.

I picked up Wesley the Owl too!  Didn't you say we had to, Elkie? :-)  So many books ...   

When we're ready, how about guilty pleasures.  No judging!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

I posed the topic because I am trying to expand my reading bandwidth.  I'll often read a book after seeing the move and I'll often see a movie because I can't get into the book.  With fiction, I guess I've grown jaded; if it doesn't grab me right away I cast it aside pdq (usually there's too much quippy dialogue or the story is basically old hat).  

So I'm going to check out Borderliners and a few of the titles that you've listed during our shared expedition.  (I tickled The Help a couple of times at the bookstore.  Still on the wait list at the library.) 

Can't wait for your book reports on Wesley

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

I just ordered Borderliners, too.
    Picked up both Wesley and Grave Sight (callie's book) today.  Now that I know I have homework, I'll be sure to read Wesley first!Laughing

I think most of what I read now is guilty pleasure.
    Love all the Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum series. (yup, sandy, mentioned her again!) I've read all of Elin Hildebrand's books.  They all take place on Nantucket in the summer, very light reading.

btw, Elkie, Princess Bride is on tv right now....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Wesley is on my list, too, but right now I'm reading The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore, which is well-written, but I kinda loathe, too.

Elkie, I also have limited patience with books lately.  That's another good topic (after guilty pleasures) -- books "everyone" says are great but that you've struggled to finish (or have given up on).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Guilty Pleasures:  Embarassed

Biogs and memoirs of the famous and beautiful (Liz, Ann-Margret, Michael York, Vivien Leigh...)

Pride and Prejudice AND Persuasion (comforting after navigating through life's sad chapters)

stories about a husband or wife who leave home.

Going to start The Devil in White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the (sic World's) Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson, as soon as I can tear myself away from this forum!  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

No judging remember?  

I got caught up in JD Robb a couple of years ago.  She's written a futuristic police series, but the twist is that she began or still writes romance novels as Nora Roberts (maybe that's her real name?).  So there's a whole romance thing going on in the series. I think I bought everything that she had out up to that point (I can't remember if the library didn't have her complete series?) and read them like crazy all that summer. Once was enough though and now the library has my paperback collection.  

I enjoyed The Help too.  It's on my bookshelf, Elkie.  Too bad there's no way to cyber loan it!

Uh-oh, sandy.  No to Bruno Littlemore?  That's disappointing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I haven't stopped reading Bruno Littlemore, so I may be judging it too soon.  I do plan on reading it all the way to the end, which is saying something for me.  And I also think that it's a book you either love or hate, so I wouldn't not give it a shot, callie. 

Elkie:  I wouldn't have put Jane Austen in the "guilty pleasures" category, because no one will look down their nose at you for reading the classics!  ;)  I love rereading those too -- Persuasion is my favorite, though it does make me sad to think of where Austen might have gone with her fiction had she only lived longer.

My guilty pleasure is one callie mentioned earlier in this thread, which is YA fiction.  I read a lot of stuff with the idea of checking out books I might entice my oldest somewhat reluctant reader to try.  Right now I'm reading the Percy Jackson series, which is not bad, but it's no Harry Potter -- plus it irritates me to no end that the author did not seem to look at a map when he wrote these.  I don't mind an author missing the little details -- it's hard to get all those right -- but he keeps placing Montauk on the Long Island Sound (north shore of LI) and this is a major location in all the books.  (That's not the only geographic error, but it's the most glaring -- and frequently repeated.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Book Theme Game:
    [QUOTE]Guilty Pleasures:   Biogs and memoirs of the famous and beautiful (Liz, Ann-Margret, Michael York, Vivien Leigh...) Pride and Prejudice AND Persuasion (comforting after navigating through life's sad chapters) stories about a husband or wife who leave home. ***************** Going to start The Devil in White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the (sic World's) Fair that Changed America   by Erik Larson, as soon as I can tear myself away from this forum!  
    Posted by Elekktra[/QUOTE]

Elkie:  I'd like to know what you think of this book once you read it, as that's been on my list for a while, too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]Wesley is on my list, too, but right now I'm reading The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore, which is well-written, but I kinda loathe, too. Elkie, I also have limited patience with books lately.  That's another good topic (after guilty pleasures) -- books "everyone" says are great but that you've struggled to finish (or have given up on).
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

Okay.  This is tough, because I hate to admit to some of these books which I'm sure everyone else here has read and loved.  But here are some I can think of right off the top of my head (and there's probably dozens at the bottom of my head, because I don't have much patience with books that don't grab me anymore):

Three Cups of Tea -- Did not get past page 2.  I'm sure this guy's don'e great stuff and deserves to brag about it, but I am more interested in people who do their good works without crowing about it ( like, for example, Paul Farmer).  The tone of the book turned me off so much I could not even get past go.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog -- I know I know, everyone loves this book.  And I am planning on finishing it someday.....maybe.....I can't even describe why I couldn't get through it.  (I'm about halfway through.)  I guess the lead character seemed so unbelievable to me.

I also couldn't get into Water for Elephants, but that's because I really object to elephants being kept by circuses, and I didn't want to read about it.  (I know, I should buck up and read it.)

Also, Wicked.  Just felt so bad for the green-skinned little baby rejected by her parents.  I guess I'm a wimp -- it was just such a depressing start that I haven't been able to get rolling with it.  Maybe I should see the musical.

I think this theme is probably a ringer for me, because the number of unfinished books I have is pretty ridiculous.  It's enough to get me kicked out of a book forum!  ;)  But you have to let me stay, please!  They keep kicking me out of the music forum and I have no place else to go.  Surprised

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

ohhhh sandy, I'm much worse than you, I haven't even heard of the first two books you mentioned!!!

Please try Water for Elephants again.  I didn't like it for the first 50 or so pages (sobbed about his parents), but after that it does get really good.  I hate the whole captive animal thing too, but you will like what happens. I really LOVED this book! 

One of my friend's favorite book was Crime and Punishment.  I tried so hard to read it (several times).  Could never make it past page 12.  Those Russian names really messed me up!

Another one was The Garden of Good and Evil. Could never make it out of the first chapter.

(Hey, don't feel so special about the music forum, I get zinged in there all the time!!!)Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

I hope Wesley The Owl doesn't appear on this list. Foot in mouth

EESwich, regarding Three Cups of Tea.  Turns out Mortenson is pretty much a fraud. Perhaps your antenna went up but you didn't know why.

Tea reminds me of Reading Lolita in Tehran.  I tried, I really did. 

Love in The Time Of Cholera

Cleopatra: A Life   The author's perspectives are fascinating but her writing is clunky and chunky. 

Life  --Keith Richards  (completely unintelligible. hundreds of pages comprised of two-word fragments.  I read maybe the first 20 pages and jumped to the middle to see if there was any improvement.  Nope. I was so infuriated I returned it and got my money back!)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE](Hey, don't feel so special about the music forum, I get zinged in there all the time!!!)
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

Yeah, one of the people there is always suggesting I might be better suited to a less challenging forum!  :-D

Which is why I'm so glad callie made this sandbox for me to play in.  Thank you, callie!

ETA:  I'll try Water for Elephants again  -- if I can ever get through Bruno Littlemore. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE] I hope Wesley The Owl doesn't appear on this list.  EESwich, regarding Three Cups of Tea.   Turns out Mortenson is pretty much a fraud. Perhaps your antenna went up but you didn't know why. Tea reminds me of  Reading Lolita in Tehran .  I tried, I really did.  Love in The Time Of Cholera Cleopatra: A Life   The author's perspectives are fascinating but her writing is clunky and chunky.  Life  -- Keith Richards  (completely unintelligible. hundreds of pages comprised of two-word fragments.  I read maybe the first 20 pages and jumped into the middle to see if there was any improvement.  Nope. I was so infuriated I returned it and got my money back!)
    Posted by Elekktra[/QUOTE]

Elekktra -- you are my hero(ine)!

And I did hear that about Mortensen -- 60 Minutes found that at least some of his claims were false -- maybe someone at CBS found his book annoying, too.