Ask a CPA 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MASocietyofCPAs. Show MASocietyofCPAs's posts

Re: Ask a CPA 2014

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kc2012. Show kc2012's posts

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kc2012. Show kc2012's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Forte77. Show Forte77's posts

Re: Ask a CPA 2014 - CP2000 Question

I received a cp2000 form the IRS re:my 2012 1040 return. It said I owed money because I did not report a 1099R. I did not contest it and paid the amount. However, while assembling my 2013 returns, I noticed that the CP2000 was wrong - the income from the 1099R was indeed reported but it was reported on line 1 of the 1040, not on line 16 where most 1099r distributions are placed. My 1099r was coded "8". Two questions: (1) was I correct to place that 1099r code "8" income on line 1 of the 1040, and (2), how do I get back the money I paid the IRS  - an amendment ?

Thanks very much! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Toto2005. Show Toto2005's posts

Re: Ask a CPA 2014 - Question Regarding Dependents

Hello, We are expecting our first child in November/December 2014. When it comes time to report our 2014 taxes, are we able to claim a dependent for the entire year of 2014, even if the child is born at the end of the year? Thanks very much!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MASocietyofCPAs. Show MASocietyofCPAs's posts

In response to Forte77's comment:

I received a cp2000 form the IRS re:my 2012 1040 return. It said I owed money because I did not report a 1099R. I did not contest it and paid the amount. However, while assembling my 2013 returns, I noticed that the CP2000 was wrong - the income from the 1099R was indeed reported but it was reported on line 1 of the 1040, not on line 16 where most 1099r distributions are placed. My 1099r was coded "8". Two questions: (1) was I correct to place that 1099r code "8" income on line 1 of the 1040, and (2), how do I get back the money I paid the IRS  - an amendment ?

Thanks very much! 

Dear Forte77:

At this point, that would be your only option.  If the code entered in the box detailing the reason for the distribution was "8" in box 7, then your reporting was correct.  You should use a Form 1040X and carefully detail your reporting and supply a reconciliation of our entry on line 1 of your original return.  You will likely be contacted shortly by the MA Department of Revenue Services, as well, to correct your MA Form 1 to report the additional income that you have agreed to include in your federal return.

Hope this helps in dealing with your issues! 

Mark H. Misselbeck, C.P.A., M.S.T., Tax Principal

Katz, Nannis + Solomon, P.C.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MASocietyofCPAs. Show MASocietyofCPAs's posts

In response to Toto2005's comment:

Hello, We are expecting our first child in November/December 2014. When it comes time to report our 2014 taxes, are we able to claim a dependent for the entire year of 2014, even if the child is born at the end of the year? Thanks very much!

Dear Toto2005:

Yes, a child born during the year is a dependent for the entire year.  However, you will need a Social Security Number in order to sustain the claimed dependency deduction, so you should apply for one, shortly after the birth, in order to have it in hand for the preparation and submission of your 2014 return.

Hope this helps in preparing your returns!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Forte77. Show Forte77's posts

In response to MASocietyofCPAs' comment:

In response to Forte77's comment:

Thanks very much! 

Dear Forte77:

At this point, that would be your only option.  If the code entered in the box detailing the reason for the distribution was "8" in box 7, then your reporting was correct.  You should use a Form 1040X and carefully detail your reporting and supply a reconciliation of our entry on line 1 of your original return.  You will likely be contacted shortly by the MA Department of Revenue Services, as well, to correct your MA Form 1 to report the additional income that you have agreed to include in your federal return.

Hope this helps in dealing with your issues! 

Sections
Shortcuts