Non-pensionable compensation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MerlinMA. Show MerlinMA's posts

Non-pensionable compensation

I work for a university that has a union.  The union reimburses members for a portion of their commuting expenses and puts it in the university payroll system.  I have been told that I can get that money back, but where do I put that amount?  How do I prove it, since that is not listed on my W-2 but is on my paystub?  I am assuming it would go in schedule A since I already file that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MASocietyofCPAs. Show MASocietyofCPAs's posts

Re: Non-pensionable compensation

In response to MerlinMA's comment:

I work for a university that has a union.  The union reimburses members for a portion of their commuting expenses and puts it in the university payroll system.  I have been told that I can get that money back, but where do I put that amount?  How do I prove it, since that is not listed on my W-2 but is on my paystub?  I am assuming it would go in schedule A since I already file that.

Dear MerlinMA:

Expenses for commuting are not deductible.  The payment may be viewed as a rebate of your uinion dues and, if so, would reduce any claimed deduction for them on your tax return, provided you itemize your deductions on Schedule A, claim them as miscellanoeus itemized deductions and the dues, together with any other deductible expenses, exceed the offset that reduces those deductions (a 2% of Adjusted Gross Income "haircut").

Hope this helps in preparing your returns!

Mark H. Misselbeck, C.P.A., M.S.T., Tax Principal

Katz, Nannis + Solomon, P.C.

Sections
Shortcuts