Small Business - No Sales. Do I still need to file?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wally16. Show Wally16's posts

Small Business - No Sales. Do I still need to file?

I started a small business (LLC) early last year. I have been in business and perusing leads. However, to this point I have made no sales, but have invested $12,000 of my own money and taken no salary. Do I need to file a corporate tax return for 2011? Thanks in advance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MASocietyofCPAs. Show MASocietyofCPAs's posts

Re: Small Business - No Sales. Do I still need to file?

In Response to Small Business - No Sales. Do I still need to file?:
    I started a small business (LLC) early last year. I have been in business and perusing leads. However, to this point I have made no sales, but have invested $12,000 of my own money and taken no salary. Do I need to file a corporate tax return for 2011? Thanks in advance.
    Posted by Wally16

Yes you should file a return to take the losses.  However it may not be a corporate tax return since you state it is an LLC.

Question : Is it a single member LLC?  If yes, did you elect to to be a corporation?  If you elected to be a corporation, then you file a Form 1120, an 1120S if you also elected to be an S corporation.  If you did not elect to be a corporation, the business is reported on Sch C of your Form 1040 as a sole proprietorship.

If you have another person with an ownership interest in the LLC, then you have a partnership and need to file a partnership return, for 1065.

I hope this helps in figuring out what you need to file.

Barbara Damon, CPA
    Tax Principal
    Edelstein & Company, LLP

Sections
Shortcuts